Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

10 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Nobody knows the outcome of this yet, but you cannot in all honesty predict what next season will bring, maybe it will be a couple of seasons in a transition period, maybe the Chinese come in and build a team we all dream of, BUT it's all conjecture, and dreaming of a better future is NOT ridiculous, it's what fans do.

Of course. Dreaming that some rich group buys us is what everyone including myself is doing. But its still silly to say "we should be mid table comfortably". Even if we're bought out by wealthy owners that is probably presumptuous. We'll need to sign (or re-sign) 19/20 players before we can assess what we should be doing - and currently we can't do that. Is all I'm saying. 

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Of course. Dreaming that some rich group buys us is what everyone including myself is doing. But its still silly to say "we should be mid table comfortably". Even if we're bought out by wealthy owners that is probably presumptuous. We'll need to sign (or re-sign) 19/20 players before we can assess what we should be doing - and currently we can't do that. Is all I'm saying. 

If what you've suggested previously about the admin taking a while then I think, even with rich owners, it's going to be a struggle next year and starting the season with PP might be inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing.

Suppose we exit admin in mid-June (which is optimistic) - The first fixture for League One this season was August 4 - Assuming next season starts at a similar time, that means we'd have 6 weeks to sign 10-20 players, sack PP,  find a new manager and have some sort of pre-season. There's so much to fit in.

While it's not impossible to do all that in 6 weeks, it's going to be a mad rush and I'm not convinced it would be best to sack PP in those circumstances, unless you're going to give it to David Lee or someone who can step in immediately - we don't have time for an extensive manager search/interview process.

It might be best keeping PP for a few months during the transition process and see what managers become available through the season. There could be some decent managers in the Championship who lose their jobs that could come in around December/November if things aren't going well.

Imagine we sign a manager on a 2-year contract before the season starts and they're terrible? It's going to cost money to sack him and find someone else. So unless it's a rich (Chinese) consortium that takes us over then it might not be financially appealing going through two managers in the first 6 months in charge.

So we best hope that you're wrong and these accountants are the fastest in the land and that the 3 weeks on the market is flexible so that we can get sold ASAP. Sorting out the football club in 6weeks will be difficult for any owner no matter how rich, and on Wednesday when I said that admin could go until mid-June, you seemed to think it would take even longer than that.

Edit: mixed up my dates there but my point still stands, 6 weeks (at best) is a big rush to prepare for our season, bwfcfan5 thinks it could be even longer, so we might only have 2-5 weeks to prepare...

Edited by Mantra

1 minute ago, Mantra said:

If what you've suggested previously about the admin taking a while then I think, even with rich owners, it's going to be a struggle next year and starting the season with PP might be inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing.

Suppose we exit admin in mid-June (which is optimistic). The first fixture for League One this season was August 4. Assuming next seasom starts at a similar time, that means we'd have 2 weeks to sign 10-20 players, sack PP,  find a new manager and have some sort of pre-season. There's so much to fit in.

While it's not impossible to do all that in 2 weeks, it's going to be a mad rush and I'm not convinced it would be best to sack PP in those circumstances, unless you're going to give it to David Lee or someone who can step in immediately - we don't have time for an extensive manager search/interview process.

It might be best keeping PP for a few months during the transition process and see what managers become available through the season. There could be some decent managers in the Championship who lose their jobs that could come in around December/November if things aren't going well.

Imagine we sign a manager on a 2-year contract before the season starts and they're terrible? It's going to cost money to sack him and find someone else. So unless it's a rich (Chinese) consortium that takes us over then it might not be financially appealing going through two managers in the first 6 months in charge.

So we best hope that you're wrong and these accountants are the fastest in the land and that the 3 weeks on the market is flexible so that we can get sold ASAP. Sorting out the football club in 2 weeks will be difficult for any owner no matter how rich, and on Wednesday when I said that admin could go until mid-June, you seemed to think it would take even longer than that.

I think they're trying to do it quickly - but quick is 2 months. So like you say best case is on market next week for 3 weeks then a quick sale and new owners in place before July. Its not impossible. It just isn't a guarantee - I'm sure they are aiming for it. As you say though however long it takes this will be a tough summer to do what is required. So decisions will ultimately have to be made. Irrespective of what the new owners' long term ideas are. 

5 minutes ago, Pricey said:

I thought we were already up for sale, what I have missed?

Not yet. They have to assess the books and piece together a financial position. That's what they are doing now. Then have to ask someone to value the business. Then market it for 3 weeks. Then conclude a deal with someone who will have to pass EFL clearances etc...

That is the process. We're at stage one. Interested buyers have approached the administrators apparently already which is good. 

16 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think they're trying to do it quickly - but quick is 2 months. So like you say best case is on market next week for 3 weeks then a quick sale and new owners in place before July. Its not impossible. It just isn't a guarantee - I'm sure they are aiming for it. As you say though however long it takes this will be a tough summer to do what is required. So decisions will ultimately have to be made. Irrespective of what the new owners' long term ideas are. 

Just realized I miscalculated my dates a bit there, so we've got a bit longer than I thought but still - we'll probably exit admin as you're suggesting between mid-June and mid-July, surely mid-July has to be the final cut-off point as that would literally leave the new owners 2 weeks to sort everything out.

If it's quick and we have new owners by mid-June, 6 weeks is still very short and we will probably have a tough season.

I'm Parky Out in the sense that we need a new direction but as with much of this process, it's about timing and trying to cram in a new manager with everything else might be too much.

Seeing how PP does for a few months isn't the worst thing we could do. Even with his "anti-football" he has a good League One record and could probably get us to safety if he was given the full season, I think.

Edited by Mantra

11 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Just realized I miscalculated my dates a bit there, so we've got a bit longer than I thought but still - we'll probably exit admin as you're suggesting between mid-June and mid-July, surely mid-July has to be the final cut-off point as that would literally leave the new owners 2 weeks to sort everything out.

If it's quick and we have new owners by mid-June, 6 weeks is still very short and we will probably have a tough season.

I'm Parky Out in the sense that we need a new direction but as with much of this process, it's about timing and trying to cram in a new manager with everything else might be too much.

Seeing how PP does for a few months isn't the worst thing we could do. Even with his "anti-football" he has a good League One record and could probably get us to safety if he was given the full season, I think.

Plenty of clubs have been in admin for 6 months plus. The reason we should be quicker is that there are interested parties - but if those parties can't compete quickly or creditor agreements can not be reached then potentially it can drag on into the season. 

Signing 20 players isn't a problem, all we'd need to do is trial every play out of contract that's been promoted out of L1 and or played more than 2 seasons in the championship in the last 5 years. Out of them we just sign the best ones. The quality of L1 isn't that high, that's why people have predicted we'll do well.

12 points is nothing, 4 wins and it's gone, I know it seems a stretch as we've been shit for so long now but it's not that hard. 

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Plenty of clubs have been in admin for 6 months plus. The reason we should be quicker is that there are interested parties - but if those parties can't compete quickly or creditor agreements can not be reached then potentially it can drag on into the season. 

It'll be carnage if that happens, I doubt we can sign players while in admin, even on a free. So we'll be relying on the 5 contracted players that we have and the u23s and u18s.

To be fair, we might be pleasantly surprised by our youth.

1 minute ago, leadfrog1 said:

Signing 20 players isn't a problem, all we'd need to do is trial every play out of contract that's been promoted out of L1 and or played more than 2 seasons in the championship in the last 5 years. Out of them we just sign the best ones. The quality of L1 isn't that high, that's why people have predicted we'll do well.

12 points is nothing, 4 wins and it's gone, I know it seems a stretch as we've been shit for so long now but it's not that hard. 

Think you've been playing a bit too much football manager! Doesn't work like that. Loads of competition to sign players and the best ones go early - some will already have agreed deals elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Of which some of those interested parties will have relationships with creditors as they'd been in active dialogue over the last 12 months with a view to purchasing the club... you'd hope... which may also speed things up... 

If we could get out of admin by mid-July don't forget this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48255312

3 minutes ago, DLH said:

Of which some of those interested parties will have relationships with creditors as they'd been in active dialogue over the last 12 months with a view to purchasing the club... you'd hope... which may also speed things up... 

Agreed. All helps. 

3 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Think you've been playing a bit too much football manager! Doesn't work like that. Loads of competition to sign players and the best ones go early - some will already have agreed deals elsewhere. 

... I'm already aware of that. You really are a negative fuck. 

44 minutes ago, DLH said:

I was not aware of this, that's good that we have until September to do transfers! That's brightened my day a bit actually! Although we need to get some good business done before September, we're already starting on -12, we can't afford to write off August due to lack of transfers.

Last time we went down to L1, having only mustered 30 points in the Championship, everyone thought our squad would do well to finish mid-table, but in L1 they looked a cut above the rest. Difference is, I would argue that Spearing, Wheater, Madine etc. were better than what we have left this time around; Lowe,  Murphy, Hall, Magennis...

If we do sack off PP, I'm looking forward to seeing Oztumer playing for us in L1, assuming he doesn't follow the example of Ameobi and Pawel...

I don't think it's negative to assume it's going to be a struggle next year, like I don't think it's ridiculous to assume that we will do well. All depends on how fast administration is, who the new owners are and who we sign. 

Edited by Mantra

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

If it was that easy to build a great league one side out of free transfers everyone would do it.....

Most teams don't have an almost blank slate and it was under the preface that we had a new owner.

3 minutes ago, leadfrog1 said:

Most teams don't have an almost blank slate and it was under the preface that we had a new owner.

I get that. I'm not being negative. We have to face reality that next season will probably be a struggle. We won't get round to building a squad until end June/start July at best. And we'll be left with the ones nobody else has taken. We may if new owners can support us have a decent budget for the league. But we're starting from zero. Staying up next year would be a good achievement regardless of what else happens. I'd take staying up now if offered. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I get that. I'm not being negative. We have to face reality that next season will probably be a struggle. We won't get round to building a squad until end June/start July at best. And we'll be left with the ones nobody else has taken. We may if new owners can support us have a decent budget for the league. But we're starting from zero. Staying up next year would be a good achievement regardless of what else happens. I'd take staying up now if offered. 

I'd accept staying up but I really want us to atleast try and get into the promotion places. I seriously don't think thats impossible. 

20 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

If it was that easy to build a great league one side out of free transfers everyone would do it.....

Not everyone has the pull and can offer wages like we can. 

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Somehow the sale of season tickets has to be squeezed in between coming out of admin and the first match of the season as well.

I presume the systems are all still in place for us to renew.   Normally we'd be in that early bird phase now till the 1st week in June.

But printing out the big leaflet they normally post to all ST holders must cost a fair whack and take a bit of effort, so can't really see that being done at the moment.