Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

I remember back in the day when I used to watch WRLFC I'm sure they used to have an A team game (not Face, Mr T et al) before the first team fixtures and you'd get folk on having a beer and a pint. I know football is different especially these days, stewarding, policing, no ale on footy terraces, players needing a bowling green to play on, but you'd have to think we can do something more. Although running through everything is like loads of others have said, people in Bolton by and large don't really care or at least care enough to even turn out to home games.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

The only initiative to get fans back to the club is winning football matches. 

Just the way the town of bolton rolls.  

That's ultimately the way I see it too. Loads of incentives could be made available, loads of reaching out and reconnecting with the community and businesses etc that would all be successful in some way I'm sure, but the bottom line is many tasted the rainbow and were happy to enjoy the ride 10-15 years ago and can't be arsed now we're shit.

26 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I remember back in the day when I used to watch WRLFC I'm sure they used to have an A team game (not Face, Mr T et al) before the first team fixtures and you'd get folk on having a beer and a pint. I know football is different especially these days, stewarding, policing, no ale on footy terraces, players needing a bowling green to play on, but you'd have to think we can do something more. Although running through everything is like loads of others have said, people in Bolton by and large don't really care or at least care enough to even turn out to home games.

Not a bad idea get the u18s on before and you get people in early therefore having a drink or a pie 

1 minute ago, Chrisj said:

Not a bad idea get the u18s on before and you get people in early therefore having a drink or a pie 

It isn't a bad idea but it won't happen because the pitch has to be a carpet for the pro's. They are all a bunch of bitches these days. I think Basketball would be a good model to follow. Game days are literally fan days. So much going on, before, during and after

8 minutes ago, Pricey said:

It isn't a bad idea but it won't happen because the pitch has to be a carpet for the pro's. They are all a bunch of bitches these days. I think Basketball would be a good model to follow. Game days are literally fan days. So much going on, before, during and after

Bring in tailgating! 

Not sure how popular it'll be on a piss wet November evening. 

7 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Bring in tailgating! 

Not sure how popular it'll be on a piss wet November evening. 

Haha not so much tailgating, I mean't from an entertainment perspective. We wouldn't have to do it every game, but selected games, maybe local derbies. Get everyone up for the game, competitions, team shirts being shot of guns and smacking some poor twat in the head

20 minutes ago, Pricey said:

Give over.

I've been to basketball and baseball matches in the US and at times it's like the game is merely a sideshow. I love our game for its no-frills approach.

My boss was over from America once and I took him to a Bolton match and whilst at first somewhat bemused by the lack of other activities, he left the game having loved that the match was the be all and end all.

You say your daughter is bored because there's nothing else for her to do. We'll, and no offence intended, I'd suggest football matches aren't for her.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Give over.

I've been to basketball and baseball matches in the US and at times it's like the game is merely a sideshow. I love our game for its no-frills approach.

My boss was over from America once and I took him to a Bolton match and whilst at first somewhat bemused by the lack of other activities, he left the game having loved that the match was the be all and end all.

You say your daughter is bored because there's nothing else for her to do. We'll, and no offence intended, I'd suggest football matches aren't for her.

Bring back terracing. One time the young kids would kick a ball about (or can) at the front for extra entertainment should the game be a bit biz.

15 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Give over.

I've never got that feeling when I've been to a basketball match, I felt that the franchise was giving something back to its fan base, competitions going on to win prizes, shirts, signed memorabilia etc.. got you enjoying the day and pumped up for the game and I'm not saying run these during the match. The game itself is centre stage and should always be treated so but there is no harm in getting the fans involved before, during half and perhaps after.

My daughter enjoys football and the atmosphere, but before the game and during half time there isn't fuck all for her to do apart from sit there and look at the pitch or to be stood inside where the floor is drenched in beer or ketchup packets. 

Come on mate we're talking about getting the next generation of Bolton fans through the turnstiles, you honestly think that by not doing activities around the game will attract them? Completely different generation kids these days

Rugby league (a truly awful sport) has tried every gimmick going to get people interested. While I think things could improve the experience I wouldn’t want it at the expense of the actual game.

For the record the other rugby is shit as well. They’ve overtaken cricket 

Just now, tomski said:

Rugby league (a truly awful sport) has tried every gimmick going to get people interested. While I think things could improve the experience I wouldn’t want it at the expense of the actual game.

For the record the other rugby is shit as well. They’ve overtaken cricket 

Throw golf in for a full house 

The simple fact is that any initiatives can fail if they're not done well. I know the current lot of Wanderers fans are a bunch of miserable bastards that poo poo any new ideas but this isn't about us and we aren't the target audience. Put on a good show and they will come. Obviously winning games would help but there's no reason not to try multiple things to generate income and cut costs. Win games and put on a cracking event for the whole community and we're back in business. We have an arena where people would love to showcase their sport/activity/artwork/flower arranging or whatever so we might as well work the ass off the assets.

And sell them a drink,a bite to eat and some toffees whilst they're at it.

30 minutes ago, tomski said:

Nail on head. Win some games and people will come back. Would be nice if our next owners can give something back like a pint or summat at a game. 

Or some £10 ticket offers, free upgrades or bring a mate for free deals? :)

38 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

The simple fact is that any initiatives can fail if they're not done well. I know the current lot of Wanderers fans are a bunch of miserable bastards that poo poo any new ideas but this isn't about us and we aren't the target audience. Put on a good show and they will come. Obviously winning games would help but there's no reason not to try multiple things to generate income and cut costs. Win games and put on a cracking event for the whole community and we're back in business. We have an arena where people would love to showcase their sport/activity/artwork/flower arranging or whatever so we might as well work the ass off the assets.

And sell them a drink,a bite to eat and some toffees whilst they're at it.

You need to start saying arse and not ass.

1 hour ago, Pricey said:

Come on mate we're talking about getting the next generation of Bolton fans through the turnstiles, you honestly think that by not doing activities around the game will attract them? Completely different generation kids these days

Maybe I'm lucky. I've been taking yoof for a couple of years now. He's 9 years old. At the game he's happy just to go to the game mither me with stupid questions at half time and then leave. He doesn't want or need anything else to keep him occupied.

Strange really as because away from the game he's mad as a box of frogs and needs constant stimulation.

16 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Maybe I'm lucky. I've been taking yoof for a couple of years now. He's 9 years old. At the game he's happy just to go to the game mither me with stupid questions at half time and then leave. He doesn't want or need anything else to keep him occupied.

Strange really as because away from the game he's mad as a box of frogs and needs constant stimulation.

If the daughter hasn't got her phone or tablet in her face then she isn't happy. What get's me though is she is watching people play games on youtube, she has the same games unopened in her room  :angry:

Edited by Pricey

22 minutes ago, DazBob said:

We like to think he takes you and he’s one of the lads these days. He always says you area good lad and  you let him ask stupid questions😂

1 hour ago, Pricey said:

If the daughter hasn't got her phone or tablet in her face then she isn't happy. What get's me though is she is watching people play games on youtube, she has the same games unopened in her room  :angry:

:D

my youngest was watching donkey kong gameplay videos from 1984 last night. 

With a few explosion video interludes just for safe measure. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

what about first team to score 3 wins, nah on 2nd thoughts that cunt Parkinson's in charge, we'd be lucky to get to one.

On point though, as someone as already stated, winning games is the only way we will get the fans rolling back, unfortunately with this Fucker in charge, we are doomed!

Just a shame we have to win games for folk to come back 

when you look at some clubs in the lower leagues there crowds hold up despite having nothing to cheer