Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

2 hours ago, passmosster said:

For most of my time watching BWFC have been a long ball team. Anyone remember the Bill Ridding era with Hartle and Banks (then Farrimond) pumping high balls up for Nat (later Wyn Davies)? So I don't really understand this yearning for tip-tap football.

TBF with Wyn Davies we played some decent stuff, not just long ball. Have you forgotten Freddie Hill and everyone's favourite PFA chairman Gordon Taylor on the wings? And Greavo played a few times with him. We weren't really a long ball team by the standards of the day although it was an acceptable tactic at the time. It still is if you have a CF that can hold it up.

5 hours ago, passmosster said:

For most of my time watching BWFC have been a long ball team. Anyone remember the Bill Ridding era with Hartle and Banks (then Farrimond) pumping high balls up for Nat (later Wyn Davies)? So I don't really understand this yearning for tip-tap football.

Jesus 

That was the 1950’s 

The games moved on a bit since then 

I’m sure we would all take winning football over nice football but we’ve just come off the back of losing over 30 games in a season and had neither 

As we have a relatively clean slate to go at in terms of playing squad it would be nice to build a squad who aren’t scared of the football 

If it’s more attritional stuff were we look to suffocate the life out of the game with 20% possession at home then it’s not going to get the bums on seats required to get the finances even close to stacking up 

• Site Supporter

Unfortunately  I missed  out on seeing the great Sir Nat but started watching his replacement  Franny Lee with God alas Freddie  Hill can't remember that being all long ball,then along came one of my all time favourites the great J B he couldn't have thrived like he did playing hoof it. Ian Greaves team Worthy and Peter Reid  long ball ? Colin Todd's all conquering champions who refused to change tactics to survive in top flight ,and some if not all of BSA football with Jay Jay and Youri.

• Site Supporter

“I just want us to have a club to support”

“I’m Bolton ‘til I die, me”

“The minute Anderson is gone, I’m back with a vengeance”

FV - “there you go, we’ve saved the day. Long road ahead but we were told the fan base is the best in the country so they’ll understand things may take time and get behind us”

“You don’t know what yer doing. FV out!!!”

Pathetic. Absolutely ridiculous 

Edited by Spider

Given the shit storm they’re inheriting off the field, it makes absolute sense to keep a steady influence on the playing side until FV can give it their full focus. 

I was as despondent and frustrated with Parky as anyone else last year, but I think a lot of folk have to accept that Rome wasn’t built in a day and that this season is purely about survival so isn’t likely to be pretty regardless of who manages us. 

Let FV get their feet under the table and can make a proper go of a medium-term plan, including a change of manager. Until then, let’s be glad we still have a club to support and get behind the new owners come season ticket time. 

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Given the shit storm they’re inheriting off the field, it makes absolute sense to keep a steady influence on the playing side until FV can give it their full focus. 

I was as despondent and frustrated with Parky as anyone else last year, but I think a lot of folk have to accept that Rome wasn’t built in a day and that this season is purely about survival so isn’t likely to be pretty regardless of who manages us. 

Let FV get their feet under the table and can make a proper go of a medium-term plan, including a change of manager. Until then, let’s be glad we still have a club to support and get behind the new owners come season ticket time. 

Good post. COYWM

Ok then 

Let’s say we keep Parky on for continuity purposes with only weeks to go until kick off 

We need to sign 20 players, does Parky get to decide who comes in? Would it be prudent to give these players 1 or 2 years deals when on the whole we aren’t convinced by the manager and he has only kept his job by default 

Or do FV sign them and Parky gets to work with what he is given? 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Ok then 

Let’s say we keep Parky on for continuity purposes with only weeks to go until kick off 

We need to sign 20 players, does Parky get to decide who comes in? Would it be prudent to give these players 1 or 2 years deals when on the whole we aren’t convinced by the manager and he has only kept his job by default 

I'm sure they can all work together. I expect they will know better than anyone how soon the season starts.

What baffles me is the attitude of some supporters who think this can all be dealt with in a fortnight. It can't.

Unfortunately, Parky could start the season with Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar in the ranks but he'll still be blamed for every loose pass, every miss, every yellow card.

It's 100% certain to be a cobbled-together side that starts at Wycombe. Fans getting on the backs of the playing staff 20 minutes into the match is simply not going to help.

It's probably time all the people who "just want a club to support" do just that, and dig in for a tough season.

Big siege mentality could help. But I'm dreaming in all liklehood.

8 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Ok then 

Would imagine loans will be used 

maybe wrong but I’m sure you can have 8 loans but only 5 can be included in the match day squad 

9 hours ago, passmosster said:

No long ball under Greaves, or Todd and the first few seasons under Sam only became direct when the opposition demanded the change in tactics to beat them. Nats team was the "W" formation based on wingers and full backs so again not long ball.

37 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As I said earlier, if we want mid table security in Div One then Parky is OK, but if we want to give it a go and try and make 6th place then he isn't. That's the decision for the new owners and I think is also at the back of the mind of anyone thinking of renewing their season tickets.

• Site Supporter

Just a reminder that we have 5 outfield squad players and the season starts in less than a month.

I'd love to see ANY manager/club with a 12 point deduction do any better than survive.

Dream big by all means, but someone, somewhere has to be realistic. 

If we stay up this year and stability reigns, then I'll be expecting a huge promotion push for 20/21.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Spider said:

I'm sure they can all work together. I expect they will know better than anyone how soon the season starts.

What baffles me is the attitude of some supporters who think this can all be dealt with in a fortnight. It can't.

Unfortunately, Parky could start the season with Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar in the ranks but he'll still be blamed for every loose pass, every miss, every yellow card.

It's 100% certain to be a cobbled-together side that starts at Wycombe. Fans getting on the backs of the playing staff 20 minutes into the match is simply not going to help.

It's probably time all the people who "just want a club to support" do just that, and dig in for a tough season.

Lots of valid points, which for me makes it absolutely vital we start off with a good measure of positivity and togetherness.

Won't be the case if PP is still here. Folk can argue about the morals of it, but that's the reality.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Lots of valid points, which for me makes it absolutely vital we start off with a good measure of positivity and togetherness.

Won't be the case if PP is still here. Folk can argue about the morals of it, but that's the reality.

I get that, trust me. But equally, everyone has been desperate for new owners, they deserve full backing at this stage.

Nothing is ever good enough for a section of our fans. They'll moan whoever the manager is.

7 minutes ago, Spider said:

I get that, trust me. But equally, everyone has been desperate for new owners, they deserve full backing at this stage.

Nothing is ever good enough for a section of our fans. They'll moan whoever the manager is.

All the issues over the last 2 months have made some forget how bad the team was last season, even before most of the massive problems to do with ownership came to light. Parkinson's teams where unorganised and badly prepared for many games, that's not the fault of the owners that's down to the manager and his staff. Question is do we honestly believe he could have done better, I believe we could which is why I am on the fence about keeping him as manager.

41 minutes ago, Spider said:

Absolutely bang on this. We don't know who FV are (other than names) and it seems unlikely they will be able to suddenly run a club on their own without advice. 

I find it incredible that our fans cannot see or understand the position we're in - its July and as things stand we'll be forfeiting games. We need to build a squad very quickly and how do they imagine that will happen if we're also trying to find a manager? Who in FV has experience of signing footballers? So lets be realistic - they need to work with someone initially. And given the timing it probably meant a choice of Parky, Lee or JP. Would you pick the most experienced for a new board with zero experience or a novice? 

26 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

No long ball under Greaves, or Todd and the first few seasons under Sam only became direct when the opposition demanded the change in tactics to beat them. Nats team was the "W" formation based on wingers and full backs so again not long ball.

Correct!

..and we also played decent football under Armfield, Neal, Rioch, Coyle & Lennon (1st season)

I doubt FV will be completely clueless when it comes to the football side of things 

I’d say it’s highly likely that they have someone on board advising them and they have made some initial plans rather than them being complete novices who haven’t even thought about playing squads & management 

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, Spider said:

Part of the reason i'm starting the season with trips to Wycombe and Gillingham early on - be part of the "we're still here and in it for the fight" mentality.

A lot of travelling but we need to show we aren't going to roll over.

Has father time played a trick on me or did we not once have very few players going into a season under big Sam? A few signed in the last week of pre-season? I think we also hit the play off's that time. Be reet in the end.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, tomski said:

Fan bashing from the elite on here once again😂

Difference of opinion then

Out of interest - and I'm not being facetious here because I know nothing about them - do they FV lot have much experience in taking on new managers or signing footballers? If so, then maybe that changes things.

FWIW I don’t mind how we play. I like winning games. Phil doesn’t seem as keen as me. It’s the knowing we’ve lost as soon as the opposition score first and the only idea we have is taking a right back off for a forward even though it has never worked. I don’t mind mixing it as long as we see some mixed results 

Just now, Spider said:

Difference of opinion then

Out of interest - and I'm not being facetious here because I know nothing about them - do they FV lot have much experience in taking on new managers or signing footballers? If so, then maybe that changes things.

I know no more than I suspect you do on FV who they are/plans etc. I’ll wait and see but I certainly don’t blame anyone for being disappointed that the consensus is pp is staying. The one positive of all that has gone on was this was supposed to be a clean slate.