Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

5 hours ago, Farrelli said:

It's a nice idea but no way will Bolton fans accept getting battered every week in L1. Empty ground guaranteed by mid September.  I'm not deluded, if we survive we are in for a hell of a struggle but we have to aim a bit higher than that.

With comments limited to unimaginative guff like "utter madness" and "you must be joking" I'm glad you actually put up one potential downside to offset the many potential benefits I listed which shows you've at least bothered to think about it.

Even so, if we are to find any fanbase advantage of this shit situation I reckon we'd actually benefit in the short term from being massive underdogs (although there will always be wanker fans who will slag off anybody who plays for us regardless of our situation) and benefit in the long term by focusing on creating an excellent and affordable youth-based strategy now whilst the stakes are relatively low - rather than wasting more money on a team of mercenaries that may not do any better. I'd rather watch kids giving it a go and developing in front of our eyes than the same turgid shit we've had recently using "experienced professionals". One of the few highlights of last season was the emergence of Connell, Brockbank etc and I'd prefer more of that than the likes of Donaldson - even if the price is accepting we'll probably get battered to begin with.

Anyone thinking we're going to be ripping any leagues up in the foreseeable future is deluded anyway.

As for "aiming higher" - I don't think you can aim any higher than working your (limited) assets to the full, running a sustainable business and trying to create a model of football club excellence that the better young players want to be a part of. At least there's a likely payoff somewhere down the line.

39 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Buying the club that he intended to sell on for a large profit counts as 'his own use', no?

In any case, why do you think Ken has never clarified this? The only time he's ever spoke of the 525k was to say that part of it was a bonus he paid himself for promotion.

He didn't pay "himself"

16 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

With comments limited to unimaginative guff like "utter madness" and "you must be joking" I'm glad you actually put up one potential downside to offset the many potential benefits I listed which shows you've at least bothered to think about it.

Even so, if we are to find any fanbase advantage of this shit situation I reckon we'd actually benefit in the short term from being massive underdogs (although there will always be wanker fans who will slag off anybody who plays for us regardless of our situation) and benefit in the long term by focusing on creating an excellent and affordable youth-based strategy now whilst the stakes are relatively low - rather than wasting more money on a team of mercenaries that may not do any better. I'd rather watch kids giving it a go and developing in front of our eyes than the same turgid shit we've had recently using "experienced professionals". One of the few highlights of last season was the emergence of Connell, Brockbank etc and I'd prefer more of that than the likes of Donaldson - even if the price is accepting we'll probably get battered to begin with.

Anyone thinking we're going to be ripping any leagues up in the foreseeable future is deluded anyway.

As for "aiming higher" - I don't think you can aim any higher than working your (limited) assets to the full, running a sustainable business and trying to create a model of football club excellence that the better young players want to be a part of. At least there's a likely payoff somewhere down the line.

👍 

32 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Buying the club that he intended to sell on for a large profit counts as 'his own use', no?

In any case, why do you think Ken has never clarified this? The only time he's ever spoke of the 525k was to say that part of it was a bonus he paid himself for promotion.

Second question first. The arrangements with Holdsworth were almost certainly the subject of an NDA.

ED's objective was to try assist in a solvent hand over after Holdsworth and Anderson. ED would have known that Holdsworth was as good as useless and so, between a rock and a hard place, he supported Anderson. If Anderson hadn't arrived on the scene at the last hour ED had prepared for administration.

I cannot see that ED would have had a problem with Anderson making a profit if it achieved the desired outcome but KA walking off with £525k before it had happened was a different ball game altogether. I cannot see ED standing for that then still advancing more money.

24 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

The payoff is certain relegation & there is a precedent in our history .Nat Lofthouse took over as manager in 1970 ish .He decided to play all our promising youngsters Fletcher,Seddon,Redfern,Jones etc & low & behold we beat Sheff Utd 2-1

We never won another game(16) & went down to the old third division for the first time in our history that season in front of dwindling crowds.

Some of those lads stepped up the next season but the team that got us out of that division were the older pros mixed with a few younger players(two seasons later)

Edited by Take Hunt Off

3 minutes ago, sleepingindian said:

wheater leaving for oldham looks like no T/O TODAY THEN

FV might not even want Wheater it would mean he would have to sign a new contract, would you give him one with the way he played last season & the age he is? 

Edited by Okocha10

7 hours ago, GeorgeTomlinson said:

An announcement is set to be made at 18:00hrs today, confirming full completion of the FV takeover.

Saturdays game will go ahead. 

Be patient mate you only have another 40 mins to wait

6 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Be patient mate you only have another 40 mins to wait

I don't want to appear insulting, but in fairness I know nothing about that individuals credibility. Happen to be proven otherwise, but until then I am taking it firmly with a pinch of salt!

Just now, Matthew1234 said:

I don't want to appear insulting, but in fairness I know nothing about that individuals credibility. Happen to be proven otherwise, but until then I am taking it firmly with a pinch of salt!

I’d be insulted if you didn’t believe me because I only have one post(!)