Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

1 hour ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Its three months since Rubins were appointed and today's the day by which they have to report whether Kendo was the mastermind behind the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, the invasion of Poland and the financial undertakings of Bernie Madoff. But I expect that guilty until proved innocent will remain the policy of the journos of the Beeno and other erstwhile chip wrappings whatever Rubins come up with.

I don't suppose anyone noticed that most of the lads magnificently representing BWFC on Saturday were products of the, shush don't mention the name, Eddie Davies Academy. No-one would have been more pleased than Eddie. Is it too optimistic to think that a few might have noticed that, despite the impossibly stretched finances over the last few years, the axe did not fall on the academy?

Its coming up to the anniversary of Eddie's death and I was reading recently about his funeral published in Isle of Man newspapers. It didn't appear in the Beeno, of course, but there were wreaths of red roses, symbolic of Eddie's lifelong devotion to Bolton and Lancashire.

I wonder if, like me, he still addressed letters to Bolton, Lancs.

That is the correct way of addressing

41 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

The Academy sits on a very nice piece of land that might be just right for a business park, for example. Get rid of the under 23 and youth teams and send the first team off to share training facilities at Euxton or Carrington. Shame Raikes Lane dog track isn't stiĺl open.

Was hard enough getting planning permission for floodlights for the academy, no chance you'd get a business park down there.

7 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

But, he is, truly, an arsehole.

saw an address on a lorry earlier

Salford Quays

Manchester

Lancashire

good effort!

I suppose it is, but my point was really about Eddie. Another interesting thing I recently came across was that his son, Roger, ran ten marathons in ten days and did a million step ups for charity. Eddie could have written a cheque for 100 times whatever Roger raised without blinking but I suspect he thought his children would be better people and better served if they made their own successes in life.

3 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Its three months since Rubins were appointed and today's the day by which they have to report whether Kendo was the mastermind behind the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, the invasion of Poland and the financial undertakings of Bernie Madoff. But I expect that guilty until proved innocent will remain the policy of the journos of the Beeno and other erstwhile chip wrappings whatever Rubins come up with.

I don't suppose anyone noticed that most of the lads magnificently representing BWFC on Saturday were products of the, shush don't mention the name, Eddie Davies Academy. No-one would have been more pleased than Eddie. Is it too optimistic to think that a few might have noticed that, despite the impossibly stretched finances over the last few years, the axe did not fall on the academy?

Its coming up to the anniversary of Eddie's death and I was reading recently about his funeral published in Isle of Man newspapers. It didn't appear in the Beeno, of course, but there were wreaths of red roses, symbolic of Eddie's lifelong devotion to Bolton and Lancashire.

I wonder if, like me, he still addressed letters to Bolton, Lancs.

The academy receive a massive amount of funding from the £140 million per year that the PL gives the EFL in ringfenced youth development grants and solidarity fund. Despite this, BWFC were the first (and only I believe) academy to downgrade from category 1 to category 2 in 2015, the reason given at the time was to reduce costs. They also had to rely on the BWDA lottery fund to pay for the dome 4g pitch, without which they wouldn't have fulfilled the criteria for category 2. The youngsters playing for the first team would have benefited from their time in category 1. Those coming through at the moment, aren't so lucky. It remains to be seen how this will effect the talent coming through in the future. You would assume that the future players won't be as good.

37 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just remember, you might need to avail yourself of facilities at the hospital that Eddie helped fund.

I knew about Eddie's donations to the Royal Bolton Hospital, Manchester Business School, Bolton Museum, Kew Gardens and the V&A but, as Eddie was not inclined to do everything in a blaze of publicity, I expect there were others I don't know about.

Edited by Chris Custodiet

10 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

The academy receive a massive amount of funding from the £140 million per year that the PL gives the EFL in ringfenced youth development grants and solidarity fund. Despite this, BWFC were the first (and only I believe) academy to downgrade from category 1 to category 2 in 2015, the reason given at the time was to reduce costs. They also had to rely on the BWDA lottery fund to pay for the dome 4g pitch, without which they wouldn't have fulfilled the criteria for category 2. The youngsters playing for the first team would have benefited from their time in category 1. Those coming through at the moment, aren't so lucky. It remains to be seen how this will effect the talent coming through in the future. You would assume that the future players won't be as good.

There wouldn't be club let alone an academy if costs hadn't been addressed since Eddie turned off his personal financial tap back in 2015.

What would you have suggested the club had cut instead if it hadn't reduced it's spending on the academy during those years?

6 minutes ago, Traf said:

As much as it's in Lancs.

http://www.forl.co.uk/

''Friends of Real Lancashire are concerned to promote the true identity of our county which has been extremely confused in the minds of some people, especially those working in the broadcasting and newspaper industries, since the local government reorganisation of 1974.

The Government at that time stated that the "new counties" were administrative areas only, and that the boundaries of traditional counties such as Lancashire had not been changed. Unfortunately, the media refer to these administrative areas all too frequently and ignore the fact that places such as Barrow-in-Furness, Liverpool, Manchester, Warrington, etc. are still in Lancashire.''

1 hour ago, Sluffy said:

There wouldn't be club let alone an academy if costs hadn't been addressed since Eddie turned off his personal financial tap back in 2015.

What would you have suggested the club had cut instead if it hadn't reduced it's spending on the academy during those years?

I've no idea what else they could have cut. I'm simply pointing out that the despite the academy having external funding and help from the BWDA lotteries (which is in effect the fan's money) it has been in decline (on paper) since Eddie reduced funding in 2015 too. The figures reported at the time were a saving of £1 million per year for the club. You would assume that those in control of the finances made the decision that the £1 million had to be spent on immediate requirements instead of the future. Whilst I understand and agree that Eddie propped up the club for many years, there's 41 other clubs (many would be classed as smaller clubs than BWFC), currently with category 2 or category 1 academies. The last time I looked, none of them were in administration, and none had downgraded their academy, how have they all managed it?  I'm not blaming ED. 

Spare a thought for all the academy staff (whose livelihoods are on the line,) and the young players at the academy who may have signed when they were still Category 1, believing that they were going to get the same football education as those at Blackburn, Liverpool, Everton, Man United, Man city etc. The academy players, (some as young as 9) unlike the pros, don't have the option to move onto another academy if they want to. If they want to make it in the game they will have to stick it out, or hope that a large club buys them in the future. The coaches, and the young boys and girls, along with the fans, are the lifeblood and future (on the pitch and financially) of the club. 

Edited by peelyfeet
grammar

1 minute ago, Walkden White said:

http://www.forl.co.uk/

''Friends of Real Lancashire are concerned to promote the true identity of our county which has been extremely confused in the minds of some people, especially those working in the broadcasting and newspaper industries, since the local government reorganisation of 1974.

The Government at that time stated that the "new counties" were administrative areas only, and that the boundaries of traditional counties such as Lancashire had not been changed. Unfortunately, the media refer to these administrative areas all too frequently and ignore the fact that places such as Barrow-in-Furness, Liverpool, Manchester, Warrington, etc. are still in Lancashire.''

Too easy.

1 hour ago, Chris Custodiet said:

I knew about Eddie's donations to the Royal Bolton Hospital, Manchester Business School, Bolton Museum, Kew Gardens and the V&A but, as Eddie was not inclined to do everything in a blaze of publicity, I expect there were others I don't know about.

I was at Kew gardens at the weekend 

What did he donate there?

On Bassini, he isn’t requesting, nor has he requested to be a director/ PSI in the club/ new holding company. 

The issue all along has been/is where the funds are coming from and for the EFL to vet that individual/group.

Just now, Damocles said:

On Bassini, he isn’t requesting, nor has he requested to be a director/ PSI in the club/ new holding company. 

The issue all along has been/is where the funds are coming from and for the EFL to vet that individual/group.

I think that is a bit of a stretch from what has been said. He checked with the EFL if he would meet the owners and directors test - so I assume he wants to be one. He rambled on about other people being involved most of whom seemed to distance themselves from him. 

27 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

I've no idea what else they could have cut. I'm simply pointing out that the despite the academy having external funding and help from the BWDA lotteries (which is in effect the fan's money) it has been in decline (on paper) since Eddie reduced funding in 2015 too. The figures reported at the time were a saving of £1 million per year for the club. You would assume that those in control of the finances made the decision that the £1 million had to be spent on immediate requirements instead of the future. Whilst I understand and agree that Eddie propped up the club for many years, there's 41 other clubs (many would be classed as smaller clubs than BWFC), currently with category 2 or category 1 academies. The last time I looked, none of them were in administration, and none had downgraded their academy, how have they all managed it?  I'm not blaming ED. 

Spare a thought for all the academy staff (whose livelihoods are on the line,) and the young players at the academy who may have signed when they were still Category 1, believing that they were going to get the same football education as those at Blackburn, Liverpool, Everton, Man United, Man city etc. The academy players, (some as young as 9) unlike the pros, don't have the option to move onto another academy if they want to. If they want to make it in the game they will have to stick it out, or hope that a large club buys them in the future. The coaches, and the young boys and girls, along with the fans, are the lifeblood and future (on the pitch and financially) of the club. 

I would suggest non of the other 41 clubs you've mentioned had to deal with amongst others as a £200m debt to service, Holdsworth's BlueMarble loan and players on Premier League wages whilst playing at the third tier level.

Of course I have sympathy with those staff and students at the academy - it's not their fault any of this that has happened but when the club is fighting for its financial survival then anything other than keeping the club on the pitch becomes expenditure that can no longer be tolerated at least at the level that it had been.

Needs must, as without a club there is no academy anyway.

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think that is a bit of a stretch from what has been said. He checked with the EFL if he would meet the owners and directors test - so I assume he wants to be one. He rambled on about other people being involved most of whom seemed to distance themselves from him. 

Not a stretch, he isn’t intending on being a director or PSI, the question has always been about the source, that’s why the EFL and KA booted him out, he’s claiming he satisfied the requirements as stated on the purchase agreement.

12 minutes ago, Damocles said:

Not a stretch, he isn’t intending on being a director or PSI, the question has always been about the source, that’s why the EFL and KA booted him out, he’s claiming he satisfied the requirements as stated on the purchase agreement.

The question has indeed been about the funds - but that does not mean he doesn't intend to be a director or PSI....

The fact he checked with Shaun Harvey whether he could be - would indicate he very much does.