Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

Supposing Bassini's claim is upheld and it is ruled that he has a valid contract  to buy the club and the hotel at an agreed price which he can now exercise.

Would that not mean that nobody had the right to put the club into administration, negotiate with FV etc?

Would that bring into question the administrators fees and the monies put into the club as an interim measure by FV etc?

In fact would those debts not become the responsibility of those who did put the club into admin etc?

Not sure of the timeline here but if Bassini struck a valid deal before this happened he would surely be in his rights to claim that he didn't agree to taking on those additional costs or sign any agreements to be responsible for them i.e. not his problem. And if they argue that the deal was agreed but not completed, he could argue that was not his fault and that had done everything he could to honour the agreement and tried to complete but was illegally blocked from doing so.

If that was the case, there would be a lot of red faces in the various camps including the EFL and they could end up having to pay millions for nothing.

Pure speculation of course.

Just now, Hoppy510 said:

Supposing Bassini's claim is upheld and it is ruled that he has a valid contract  to buy the club and the hotel at an agreed price which he can now exercise.

Would that not mean that nobody had the right to put the club into administration, negotiate with FV etc?

Would that bring into question the administrators fees and the monies put into the club as an interim measure by FV etc?

In fact would those debts not become the responsibility of those who did put the club into admin etc?

Not sure of the timeline here but if Bassini struck a valid deal before this happened he would surely be in his rights to claim that he didn't agree to taking on those additional costs or sign any agreements to be responsible for them i.e. not his problem. And if they argue that the deal was agreed but not completed, he could argue that was not his fault and that had done everything he could to honour the agreement and tried to complete but was illegally blocked from doing so.

If that was the case, there would be a lot of red faces in the various camps including the EFL and they could end up having to pay millions for nothing.

Pure speculation of course.

There would be lots of legal challenges. But ultimately Bassini would have to find a lot of money immediately to take control - and convince the EFL.

Can you see that happening? The court can't just rewind time. Nor can it demand the EFL approves Bassini. It can't say he owns the business either since he never actually paid any money to complete the deal.

The debts that are there will still be there and still need settling and the new debts accrued may be up to a challenge between Bassini and Anderson. If Bassini wins I think we're headed straight for liqudation - unless he genuinely has 40M quid ready to go.....

If the proof of funds were satisfactory enough to prevent the winding up order, how were they no longer good enough 4 weeks later? Are they going to question the integrity of the judge who adjourned the winding up order? 

I suspect this will be referred to the EFL to complete the vetting on the source of funds.

8 minutes ago, Damocles said:

If the proof of funds were satisfactory enough to prevent the winding up order, how were they no longer good enough 4 weeks later? Are they going to question the integrity of the judge who adjourned the winding up order? 

I suspect this will be referred to the EFL to complete the vetting on the source of funds.

The two things are completely different. I'm not sure they even showed proof of funds in court. Think Stonefrost said "we have a letter from his solicitor". The EFL require full proof of funds for buying and two years down the line matched against a business plan. Bassini didn't even do due diligence so had no chance of knowing what funding was required. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

The problem is, the above is guesswork and speculation - as we don’t know the facts. 

Careful. He's allowed to have an opinion you know. Even if it's guesswork and speculation.

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

My guess is the judge will throw it out today

Would love a situation where the judge just loses his rag and throws it out, claim without merit. Wishful thinking, but I'd celebrate at my desk.

29 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

There would be lots of legal challenges. But ultimately Bassini would have to find a lot of money immediately to take control - and convince the EFL.

Can you see that happening? The court can't just rewind time. Nor can it demand the EFL approves Bassini. It can't say he owns the business either since he never actually paid any money to complete the deal.

The debts that are there will still be there and still need settling and the new debts accrued may be up to a challenge between Bassini and Anderson. If Bassini wins I think we're headed straight for liqudation - unless he genuinely has 40M quid ready to go.....

Can I see that happening? Not really but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

An analogy would be that you sign a contract to buy a car for £5 grand and it's agreed you'll bring the money next week. The seller then puts some naff spoilers and fog lamps on it that you don't want anyway and when you go back to pay him he says it's now £7 grand.

But you still want the car as it was for the agreed £5 grand. Reckon you'd have a case and the vendor would have to swallow the £2k.

Whether a judge would rule in Bassini's favour even if he has a signed contract is another story though. With Eddie's lot, the 2 administrators, Ken, FV and the EFL all having done a merry dance since there will be a lot of pressure on the judge to seek a compromise and that will take time and money which neither the club or the potential owners apparently have in abundance. It's a shambles that is continuing to descend into a battle of egos at the club's expense.

Bassini's tipped up mob-handed. Half a dozen blokes with him. Not sure why, but that surprised me a bit.

Come to think of it, means either

1. he's got 6 mates

2. he's paying for 6 blokes to be there with him

both / either surprise me

10 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Would love a situation where the judge just loses his rag and throws it out, claim without merit. Wishful thinking, but I'd celebrate at my desk.

Mr Bassini, I’ve read your Wikipedia page and reviewed your work with Watford......

4 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

Can I see that happening? Not really but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

An analogy would be that you sign a contract to buy a car for £5 grand and it's agreed you'll bring the money next week. The seller then puts some naff spoilers and fog lamps on it that you don't want anyway and when you go back to pay him he says it's now £7 grand.

But you still want the car as it was for the agreed £5 grand. Reckon you'd have a case and the vendor would have to swallow the £2k.

Whether a judge would rule in Bassini's favour even if he has a signed contract is another story though. With Eddie's lot, the 2 administrators, Ken, FV and the EFL all having done a merry dance since there will be a lot of pressure on the judge to seek a compromise and that will take time and money which neither the club or the potential owners apparently have in abundance. It's a shambles that is continuing to descend into a battle of egos at the club's expense.

This isn't buying a car - there is no vendor to just "swallow it up". Real people in the real world are owed money. The court can't just magic that away. Bassini may have a contract saying he should own the club - but the reality is the debts don't disappear with that neither does the administration process. Bassini like anyone else has to find a way to purchase the club as is and settle the creditor debts.

People seem to be thinking he can just be handed the business for the agreed price - he can't be because the business that he was buying now doesn't exist. And the EFL need to see the proof of funding to take this forward now. Not what happened in April. 

28 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The two things are completely different. I'm not sure they even showed proof of funds in court. Think Stonefrost said "we have a letter from his solicitor". The EFL require full proof of funds for buying and two years down the line matched against a business plan. Bassini didn't even do due diligence so had no chance of knowing what funding was required. 

The point I’m making is that these proof of funds were accepted one minute and then rejected the next, why was this? 

Paul Aldridge wouldn’t have even engaged in talks if there hadn’t been something concrete in place as admin remained on the table.

3 minutes ago, wakey said:

Bassini's tipped up mob-handed. Half a dozen blokes with him. Not sure why, but that surprised me a bit.

Come to think of it, means either

1. he's got 6 mates

2. he's paying for 6 blokes to be there with him

both / either surprise me

They're er, ex SAS apparently. Bodyguards...

Sounds like Kenny Dalglish Senior!

Just now, Damocles said:

The point I’m making is that these proof of funds were accepted one minute and then rejected the next, why was this? 

Paul Aldridge wouldn’t have even engaged in talks if there hadn’t been something concrete in place as admin remained on the table.

But isn't Bassini's own argument that he didn't have the funds then but he does now? And regardless proof of funding to buy club - the bit Ken cared about is different to the EFL test that looks at ability to purchase and run for 2 years....

• The topic was unpinned