Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

Difference of opinion then

Out of interest - and I'm not being facetious here because I know nothing about them - do they FV lot have much experience in taking on new managers or signing footballers? If so, then maybe that changes things.

Didn't they claim (or the media did) that they had an experienced football man lined up?

Presumably, for such a role.

Wonder who might be available..

Not just the bark at the moon nutters who want a new manager. I realise we are in a fight for survival from day 1. I would still want a new manager, yes even David Lee over Parky. As for experience ive experienced enough of parkinson & parkin football so thanks but no thanks. I will also not criticise FV for whatever they decide good luck to them.

Also interesting to see a lot of the King Ken Brigade on here backing Parky now. Another way of looking down on the plebs?

10 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I doubt FV will be completely clueless when it comes to the football side of things 

I’d say it’s highly likely that they have someone on board advising them and they have made some initial plans rather than them being complete novices who haven’t even thought about playing squads & management 

No doubt they've taken advice. But what if that advice was "stick with Parky he knows what needs doing"? Because he's well respected within football circles. 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Just a reminder that we have 5 outfield squad players and the season starts in less than a month.

I'd love to see ANY manager/club with a 12 point deduction do any better than survive.

Dream big by all means, but someone, somewhere has to be realistic. 

If we stay up this year and stability reigns, then I'll be expecting a huge promotion push for 20/21.

Going off all that we’ve absoloutley nothing to lose. 

Start from the bottom up and hope for the best. 

Keeping parky might be the right thing to do, but by fuck it’s depressing and makes a shit situation even worse. 

36 minutes ago, tomski said:

FWIW I don’t mind how we play. I like winning games. Phil doesn’t seem as keen as me. It’s the knowing we’ve lost as soon as the opposition score first and the only idea we have is taking a right back off for a forward even though it has never worked. I don’t mind mixing it as long as we see some mixed results 

the Manc is right. 

26 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

No doubt they've taken advice. But what if that advice was "stick with Parky he knows what needs doing"? Because he's well respected within football circles. 

I’d ask who is feeding them bullshit😂

27 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

No doubt they've taken advice. But what if that advice was "stick with Parky he knows what needs doing"? Because my dad is well respected within football circles. 

Perhaps an answer would be to appoint a director of football to oversee things. With time that DoF can advise FV on the manager and the playing squad. And we can move to having a first team coach rather than manager. This would relieve the pressure on FV and also any manager and provide some consistency to recruitment plans. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Going off all that we’ve absoloutley nothing to lose. 

Start from the bottom up and hope for the best. 

Keeping parky might be the right thing to do, but by fuck it’s depressing and makes a shit situation even worse. 

Fair enough

I'm really not bothered what they do and Parky's football is dreadful.

My point is that FV have barely put their names above the door and people are already gunning for them.

We've waited this long, let's give them a chance 

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Perhaps an answer would be to appoint a director of football to oversee things. With time that DoF can advise FV on the manager and the playing squad. And we can move to having a first team coach rather than manager. This would relieve the pressure on FV and also any manager and provide some consistency to recruitment plans. 

Freedman operates in those roles now. 

Imagine the football under those 2. 

8 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Freedman operates in those roles now. 

Imagine the football under those 2. 

Yeah not a Freedman type. I think someone who can help with development of young players and identifying new signings. 

Worked for Southampton on their rise through the leagues. Managers come and go but if we got the right DoF with a good vision we can slowly evolve how we play and avoid manager's leaving and having to start again. 

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Part of the reason i'm starting the season with trips to Wycombe and Gillingham early on - be part of the "we're still here and in it for the fight" mentality.

A lot of travelling but we need to show we aren't going to roll over.

Has father time played a trick on me or did we not once have very few players going into a season under big Sam? A few signed in the last week of pre-season? I think we also hit the play off's that time. Be reet in the end.

Was that the time we signed Isaiah Rankin on the morning of a game or something?

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

That’s fair enough, as long as the player recruitment backs up the style / approach 

I don’t think a DOF would be a horrendous idea, but finding one of those is the same as getting a new manager really 

6 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

That’s fair enough, as long as the player recruitment backs up the style / approach 

I don’t think a DOF would be a horrendous idea, but finding one of those is the same as getting a new manager really 

Yep. Except that they can start immediately building a squad with the current management team. Then identify a DoF over time get them in. And might find that Parky doesn't like it so that necessitates a change. 

For example David Lee working with an experienced DoF makes sense. David Lee trying to be manager on his own with an inexperienced set of Directors - does not in my view make any sense. The infrastructure of the club needs rebuilding but you can't do that in July whilst also needing to sign 20 odd players....

7 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Miles more important than a new manager, I’d say. I certainly wouldn’t be against it in the medium term though given we seem to have the same shite no matter who is in charge. 

Just following on from my earlier post, I will point out that I’m not necessarily against the idea of potting Parky, just I think there’s enough shit going on without throwing that in to the mix. That said, if FV already have a manager lined up along with 20 new players then obviously that would change things somewhat. 

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Part of the reason i'm starting the season with trips to Wycombe and Gillingham early on - be part of the "we're still here and in it for the fight" mentality.

A lot of travelling but we need to show we aren't going to roll over.

Has father time played a trick on me or did we not once have very few players going into a season under big Sam? A few signed in the last week of pre-season? I think we also hit the play off's that time. Be reet in the end.

Think you refer to the season we signed Rankin the day before the season started as we had no other strikers, also remember going to the preseason tour in Denmark when we had a team consisting mainly of triallists, think we ended up in the play offs that season, what a job Allardyce did in that period.  Great times and fond memories.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 hours ago, Spider said:

I'm sure they can all work together. I expect they will know better than anyone how soon the season starts.

What baffles me is the attitude of some supporters who think this can all be dealt with in a fortnight. It can't.

Unfortunately, Parky could start the season with Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar in the ranks but he'll still be blamed for every loose pass, every miss, every yellow card.

It's 100% certain to be a cobbled-together side that starts at Wycombe. Fans getting on the backs of the playing staff 20 minutes into the match is simply not going to help.

It's probably time all the people who "just want a club to support" do just that, and dig in for a tough season.

Big siege mentality could help. But I'm dreaming in all liklehood.

very well said. 

The whole place needs a lift 

Going to season ticket holders and saying ‘hey lads, what we propose is sticking with the bloke who oversaw the shittest season in living memory’ ain’t giving the place a lift. 

It’s like giving hungry man a bag of chips liberally doused in piss. 

1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

The whole place needs a lift 

Going to season ticket holders and saying ‘hey lads, what we propose is sticking with the bloke who oversaw the shittest season in living memory’ ain’t giving the place a lift. 

It’s like giving hungry man a bag of chips liberally doused in piss. 

But in 6 weeks of a new manager when things are equally shit because we've cobbled together what we could in a fortnight will the "lift" really matter.

Got to think longer term here. Parky can already be working on targets. If the plan is to pot him and bring someone new in then in reality that probably means starting to work on signings in middle of July at best. Getting them in unfit with no chance for any pre-season preparation. New manager starts badly - it goes downhill fast. A bad start and we might be done for by Christmas. If Parky stays if things go badly you have the chance of an injection of hope with a new manager after a month or two and a squad to work with.

5 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

But in 6 weeks of a new manager when things are equally shit because we've cobbled together what we could in a fortnight will the "lift" really matter.

Got to think longer term here. Parky can already be working on targets. If the plan is to pot him and bring someone new in then in reality that probably means starting to work on signings in middle of July at best. Getting them in unfit with no chance for any pre-season preparation. New manager starts badly - it goes downhill fast. A bad start and we might be done for by Christmas. If Parky stays if things go badly you have the chance of an injection of hope with a new manager after a month or two and a squad to work with.

That's not thinking longer term though... Longer term thinking would have been having a manager on-board in the back ground ready to step in day 1 - like we're "reliably" informed they did previously with Mark Warburton. They could have been working on targets in the back ground ready to step in. 

1 minute ago, DLH said:

That's not thinking longer term though... Longer term thinking would have been having a manager on-board in the back ground ready to step in day 1 - like we're "reliably" informed they did previously with Mark Warburton. They could have been working on targets in the back ground ready to step in. 

Correct.

ive seen someone say give it ten games. We haven’t got 10 games. We’re already 12  points behind everyone else. 

We need to hit the ground running, up and at em or the season is over after a few games. 

Either way a new man comes in, it works and we salvage something with a fresh outlook, or it doesn’t work but plans are in place with a new manager and a squad of players he’s built himself with something to work with for the future.