Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

If a premier inn on the same site is viable I’m sure our gaff would be the same?

Theres a lot going on round there. 

I get that 

As a free standing building 

But stuck to one end of a football ground that has an uncertain future, it’s a big gamble surely? 

Nixon now claiming Bassini going above the asking price  for the Hotel to try and get the club that way. 

No idea if that is even possible but the thought of Bassini getting near the club terrifies me to be honest. 

Edited by Matthew1234

3 minutes ago, Matthew1234 said:

Nixon now claiming Bassini going above the asking price  for the Hotel to try and get the club that way. 

No idea if that is even possible but the thought of Bassini getting near the club terrifies me to be honest. 

That can’t be a route for him to own the club, unless FV drop out and leave the door open for him. Then he’s got to get EFL approval. 

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

That can’t be a route for him to own the club, unless FV drop out and leave the door open for him. Then he’s got to get EFL approval. 

That's what I was getting at, sorry I should have been clearer. 

From what I have read it sounds like FV want the hotel before completing for the club which does make sense. If someone's coming in with a better offer for creditors on the hotel then it makes it a lot tougher. I think the missing piece for me is how much of a say Michael James has in all this. Basically if someone came and offered slightly more money, whether it could be turned down on the basis of him wanting FV in the door. 

I really don't know if that's possible - but if anyone else has an idea that would be very handy...

5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

But that's exactly the route - Bassini's bid wins him the hotel, Football Ventures pull out as a result, and then Bassini makes an offer for ownership of the club and the Football League have a gun held to their head (figuratively speaking). Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 

Surely Michael James has cards to play here?

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

I can’t see how the hotel is a decent going concern in its own right 

It’s never seemed to generate a great deal of profit has it? 

I’m sure a decent hotel operator could make a relative success of it in the medium / long term (in normal circumstances) but if the club goes bust and the ground gets sold to someone who wants to flatten it for retail then where would that leave a hotel owner? 

The hotel is a profit making asset. The owners will want to move as much money from that to the football company (which will always losing money) as possible.

Ie no corp tax for the hotel. Just charging rent to a hotel chain is basically throwing money down the pan.

Edited by HomerJay

17 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

But that's exactly the route - Bassini's bid wins him the hotel, Football Ventures pull out as a result, and then Bassini makes an offer for ownership of the club and the Football League have a gun held to their head (figuratively speaking). Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 

For a lot of reasons that isn’t possible. Nixon talking tripe again. Also you can’t fast track an admin process. They will need to go through a stage to determine preferred bidder for the hotel.

8 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

The hotel is a profit making asset. The owners will want to move as much money from that to the football company (which will always losing money) as possible.

Ie no corp tax for the hotel. Just charging rent to a hotel chain is basically throwing money down the pan.

Does it make profit? Don’t think it has for a few years....

10 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

Not according to the Burnden Liesure accounts it’s not 

It lost £100k in 16-17 and £400k in 15-16

Prior to that it made a profit but very modest £100k - £200k 

I understand why the owners of the club would want it, of course 

But would a hotel operator want to own that hotel on its own with a hell of a lot of uncertainty around the football ground that it’s attached to? Seems an odd risk to take for me given it’s previous financial performance. Be surprised if the hotel is getting interest from any group not linked in some way to the club 

Edited by birch-chorley

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

For a lot of reasons that isn’t possible. Nixon talking tripe again. Also you can’t fast track an admin process. They will need to go through a stage to determine preferred bidder for the hotel.

What are the reasons why it isn't possible? The administration process is one thing, but there could yet well be a fair amount of "realpolitik" take place.

8 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

What are the reasons why it isn't possible? The administration process is one thing, but there could yet well be a fair amount of "realpolitik" take place.

Time, money and the fact that the admins on the football club have to follow their due process. Plus a small issue that their solicitors are dealing with Bassini...

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Time, money and the fact that the admins on the football club have to follow their due process. Plus a small issue that their solicitors are dealing with Bassini...

And if Football Ventures pull out and it's Bassini or liquidation...?

Anyone know what happened to Paul heathcotes staff that worked at the hotel? got told of a person who works at the hotel, when he left, he left them not knowing a clue what’s gone on with them not having a job. Maybe wrong with this though. Also main guy who works at the hotel administrator is a Australian who hates Anderson

Edited by Okocha10

Not sure why there seems to be so much panic?

- The Hotel as someone has posted above lost around half a million over the last two published accounts 30 June 2016, and 30 June 2017, so is very unlikely to be part of the key financial plan of FV's strategy for funding the club over the next two years (if at all?).
- The plan seems to be as based on Benny's post of a few weeks back, is to build a multi story car park on one of the car parks and develop the remaining car parks presumably for retail development.  The ownership of the car parks is nothing to do with the hotel, and as such who ever owns the hotel will not prevent such a plan from taking place.
- Maybe part of the plan was to leverage the hotel (take out a loan and use the hotel as security) but even if that wasn't to work out, I've no doubt a developer would fund and shortfall if required - at a cost of course.
- As far as I'm concerned James is the senior creditor on the hotel and this should be confirmed by the Administrator for the hotel publishing his list of secured and unsecured creditors this week (probably why Nixon is saying things are happening this week - the Administrator has to report within 8 weeks of Administration commencing).
- Benny believed the hotel Administrators had put a value of £4.5m to £5m on the hotel, so somebody needs to bid over market value and in excess of the £5.5m security James has in it, otherwise he could simply crystallise his charge and take the hotel as full payment for his debt.
- There's no reason at all why the club and hotel couldn't function separately to each other - in fact when the hotel was first opened the club only held a half share of it.  They are simply not dependent on each other.  People book to stay at the hotel because of its location and not because of about 30 home matches during the calendar year.
- The clubs Administrator has stated his opinion of Bassini and even if Bassini bought the hotel I can't see how that would change things as to how the club Administrator has acted or FV ultimately completing purchase of the club.
- I don't understand Nixon's/others on going commentary of Eddie Davies Trustees seemingly wanting more from FV to meet what they want (and FV looking to bring in new investors) because things simply don't work that way - the Administrator is the one that's sets the process and conditions, implements the timescales and determines what the best offer is thereafter, no one else.  If EDT is unhappy and FV are the highest bidder in accordance with the Administration process, then the only alternative left is that they take liquidation instead, and nothing at all to do with seeing who the hotel is eventually sold to and if they then want to buy the club.
- If the hotel's market value is really £5m or less then who in the right minds will pay several million more for an hotel with room capacity at around 85% (as per the accounts) and losing £400k pa?  Doesn't make much economic sense does it?
- Finally Heathcote staff were TUPE-ed over to the Administrators company when they terminated his contract.

That's how I view things anyway.

I think thats what Nixon is implying though - that Bassini is going above the amount required. In that kind of scenario it doesn't sound like James has much of a say. 

It makes little economic sense to over pay on something that's loss making, but with just how crazy Bassini is, we can't write it off I don't think. 

If FV won't complete until this hotel stuff is sorted, we are in for a tough opening to the season at the very least. 

Edited by Matthew1234

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Wharra a load of old horseshit 

1 hour ago, Matthew1234 said:

I think thats what Nixon is implying though - that Bassini is going above the amount required. In that kind of scenario it doesn't sound like James has much of a say. 

It makes little economic sense to over pay on something that's loss making, but with just how crazy Bassini is, we can't write it off I don't think. 

If FV won't complete until this hotel stuff is sorted, we are in for a tough opening to the season at the very least. 

I think when shit comes to shove he hasn’t been able to show or prove anything. It’s an irritating distraction hopefully nothing more