Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

apart from Madine none of our players have gone on to become established championship or higher level have they?

Apart from Madine?

He’s started 11 games since he left and been substituted in all bar one of them.

He’s only marginally more established at Championship level than you are.

I think the squad was good enough for promotion but I also don't think just because you're good enough, it guarantees it would happen. Look at Sunderland the season just gone for example. 

I am not saying I am Parkinson's biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think it would be fair to quash the achievement of promotion simply with "the squad was good enough".

It will make for an interesting week anyway, he may be out of the job come Friday. I am hoping that when FV are announced as the team that signed heads of terms, that we will learn more about the experienced footballing professional they will be bringing on board. I'm not sure if that would be announced today, but it would be nice to know regardless. That might give us a better indication of the direction and philosophy we are moving forwards with. 

Edited by Matthew1234

15 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

You're being blinded by looking at the failings of our players and not putting everyone else's up to the same scrutiny.

If Fleetwood Town's team from that year contained £8m+ of attackers, had a significantly higher wage bill and four currently at Championship clubs next year... you'd be using all of that as reasons why Parky performed miracles to finish above them.

Instead you're now arguing yourself in circles trying to make out that having a full-back now at Blackburn (Conor McLoughlin is now unattached meaning he was shite all along, as per your previous comments) means they were just as good as us.

Worldbeaters and great players they were not, but you can only compare them to what they were up against. Ours were better that season, had had better careers before then and played at a higher level afterwards. They were better players, it couldn't be simpler.

Our team didn't contain £8M+ of anything. Madine was signed on a free and till that point been utterly hopeless. Not a single fan thought "hey we'll piss league one with big Gaz". Not a single one.

You can argue that he went for big money a year later but is that because he was too good for league one or because we had a good manager who turned his career round and turned him into a player in demand? 

Secondly I'm not arguing anyone was "way better than us". I'm showing demonstrably why arguing we had a squad too good for league one is a nonsense. We were there or thereabouts with about 6 or 7 clubs. We finished second because we bought the right players in and won more games than others...was it a "miracle" - in the sense of being under embargo, having a dishevelled and dispirited squad the season before - then I'd say yes. The context makes it a real achievement beyond just lists of players. We were clearly equipped to have a go. But the manager played a large part in that. 

4 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Flip it.

Our competitors that year (Fleetwood, Scunthorpe, Bradford etc.) by what logic did they have better players?

They were on less money and by and large hadn't played at as high a level, hadn't achieved as much in their careers, haven't gone on to become established Championship/Premier League players and finished below us that year.

MK Dons and Charlton finished 9 and 10 points respectively ahead of season before. They did not have an embargo. 

Parky did a good job of putting a team together that was good enough to get out of the division. It is a fact plain and simple.  As as far as I know the only team ever to be promoted whilst under embargo  

Look at Sunderland last year it is not as easy as you might think. The Bradford team was basically the team he built as well. 

I do not get why people you think have to be pro Parky and paint him as a saint or anti Parky and give him no credit for anything. 

He he did a good job first season and again second season. The fact is we stayed up and that was the sole objective  

last was a tough gig but he certainly did himself few favours with his baffling selections. His biggest failing is the negative and boring football. We need to reinvigorate the club and I think that means he has to go but dismissing the job in first two seasons as easy/expected is really unfair. 

• Site Supporter

Have we been bought out yet?

I keep seeing Bassini's name on the internet - is he threatening to sink the deal or something?

It's not that I'm not arsed, I've just lost all interest.

13 minutes ago, Ani said:

MK Dons and Charlton finished 9 and 10 points respectively ahead of season before. They did not have an embargo. 

Parky did a good job of putting a team together that was good enough to get out of the division. It is a fact plain and simple.  As as far as I know the only team ever to be promoted whilst under embargo  

Look at Sunderland last year it is not as easy as you might think. The Bradford team was basically the team he built as well. 

I do not get why people you think have to be pro Parky and paint him as a saint or anti Parky and give him no credit for anything. 

He he did a good job first season and again second season. The fact is we stayed up and that was the sole objective  

last was a tough gig but he certainly did himself few favours with his baffling selections. His biggest failing is the negative and boring football. We need to reinvigorate the club and I think that means he has to go but dismissing the job in first two seasons as easy/expected is really unfair. 

Spot on for me. I think he should go but still think he did a very good job last time in this league so i can see the contradiction in my thinking but last two seasons have scarred me. Would like a clean sweep of players (not including the contracted lot or wheater and academy lads) and coaching staff. No personal acrimony to PP unlike sine managers since Little Sam

• Moderators
3 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

the manager played a large part in that. 

you could've just said that to begin with, I think most would agree he knew what he was doing in League One

3 hours ago, enzo gambaro said:

Apart from Madine?

He’s started 11 games since he left and been substituted in all bar one of them.

He’s only marginally more established at Championship level than you are.

The Madine story (3 promotions in 3 years, 2 to the prem and a few prem appearances) is similar to Marc Albrighton or Danny Simpson winning more league titles than Gerrard. We will come up against far better strikers than Madine next season but luck plays a huge part in a footballers career, just being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people.

The last 3 seasons Madine has been promoted to the Premier League twice and promoted to the Championship once.Those thinking his natural level is in the middle of the 3rd tier with Accrington are in denial.

Its possible to praise Parky for gaining promotion  and stlll think he had the 2nd best squad.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

I think this has been quite a drawn out debate when actually for the most part everyone agrees.

I agree entirely that Parky deserves credit for his first two years here, doesn't deserve heaps of vitriol for last season, but should still make way for a fresh start.

Managers can only do so much. I give Parky some slack for last year, because the team wasn't good enough and it would've been a struggle for anyone to keep us up. By the same token, our League One team was more than good enough to win promotion, and clearly had better players than Bradford, Fleetwood and Scunny.

Credit to Parky, you still have to get the job done, but it was no miracle.

1 minute ago, Tombwfc said:

I think this has been quite a drawn out debate when actually for the most part everyone agrees.

I agree entirely that Parky deserves credit for his first two years here, doesn't deserve heaps of vitriol for last season, but should still make way for a fresh start.

Managers can only do so much. I give Parky some slack for last year, because the team wasn't good enough and it would've been a struggle for anyone to keep us up. By the same token, our League One team was more than good enough to win promotion, and clearly had better players than Bradford, Fleetwood and Scunny.

Credit to Parky, you still have to get the job done, but it was no miracle.

This is the problem. I'm not sure there is anything clear about it. You'd heard of ours - because you followed us and I imagine hadn't bothered following league one much. But better players - the two Fleetwood fullbacks for example were better than our fullbacks that season...

36 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

This is the problem. I'm not sure there is anything clear about it. You'd heard of ours - because you followed us and I imagine hadn't bothered following league one much. But better players - the two Fleetwood fullbacks for example were better than our fullbacks that season...

According to what? Because you Googled them this morning?

Number of appearances at a higher level before that season. Number of appearances at a higher level after that season. Performances during that season that led to us finishing above them.

Every metric you've come up with as to why our players were shite, theirs were worse. 

45 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

What are you arguing about?

2 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

The last 3 seasons Madine has been promoted to the Premier League twice and promoted to the Championship once.Those thinking his natural level is in the middle of the 3rd tier with Accrington are in denial.

Its possible to praise Parky for gaining promotion  and stlll think he had the 2nd best squad.

Mid table with Accrington is no disgrace, Billy Kee is a quality striker. If we could have him or Madine for next season I would take Kee all day long. It’s possible to gain promotion despite a particular player. See Trotter, Thorpe, Wilkinson, Proctor in our promotion year.