Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

29 minutes ago, Sluffy said:

Good point, well made Traf, everything I've said above in respect of Iles equally applies to his boss, Neil Bonnar as well.

It really isn't that difficult to remain fair and unbiased if you simply stick to the facts instead of publicly tweeting stuff like 'best for Bolton but worst outcome possible for Anderson.

How can ANYONE claim that to be an impartial and a non biased comment - coming indeed from the HEAD OF SPORTS at the paper?

Yet some folk clearly think it is I and others with the agenda???

Well I posted earlier more or less saying I have difficulty expressing myself without using expletives regarding bwfc

I recognise my limitations but I am not a  professional journalist & in times gone by there was a proper check & balance of the subject matter by the editorial management of our local paper .Even to get a letter published it had to be grammaticaly correct ( or corrected) contain no abuse & be precised into a relevant comment.

Those days are long gone its the kingdom of the blind were the quickest  one eyed  finger is king nothing wrong with that on social media but by Christ the journalists need to up their game & put some distance between themselves & the finger popping morons (!) & most of all do some proper research 

Edited by Take Hunt Off

15 hours ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

No Chris the role is not to simplify because other folk aren't bright enough, it's to simplify because other folk aren't accountants and will have different areas of expertise. Same goes for law, medicine, the mechanic fixing your car and the electrician wiring your extension and so on....

I may be right in saying that I was a qualified accountant before you were born, RRF, but, no matter, I would say that a lifetime's experience is more valuable in distingushing between the good, the bad and the ugly in the trades and  professions. A good tradesman or professional, in my experience, will invariably try to explain their intentions or reasonings in a cogent and logical fashion; a bad one won't bother.

The ugly are, I'm afraid, a more extreme division of the bad, but lets not go there.

Edited by Chris Custodiet

7 hours ago, Sluffy said:

I hope H stays around too but I rather suspect he will go where his job takes them.

As for Iles our 'esteemed' SPORTS journalist, he could be your younger brother for all I know but until he writes something about Holdsworth financial involvement whilst at the club (the information is already out there) and states something (anything!) factual that's negative about the ST's behaviour (their chairmen - Hurst and Bridge 'disappeared' without a mention from him, the failure to even hold their mandatory AGM one year, nor even a line about his professional bodies rebuke given to their current 'poster boy' and high vis spokesman, Roger Allanson - and which is in the public domain - indeed reported elsewhere in the Bolton News itself!) yet quotes them at every other available opportunity - indeed their statement was the very FIRST thing he posted after his holiday break last week - then you can not convince me - or all the other critics of him (which seem to be slowly but  gradually increasing imo), that he is far from being impartial and reporting fairly without bias and taking sides.

And if you really want to get me going his reporting and understanding of the last set of published accounts - and more to the point his tweets clearly inferring amongst other things that Anderson had only paid £150k for Holdsworth shares - which incensed the brain dead masses that clearly take what he says as gospel - and was the tipping point of the growing hatred of Anderson to turn into the toxicity it became  - was scandalous and clearly not understood by him, let alone even researched and checked with anybody with a bit of knowledge about accountancy.

Until he proves to report BOTH sides of a story, FAIRLY and without BIAS, then I for one will remain critical of him.

And I certainly won't be alone in doing that either.

Maybe he should stay with being the local SPORTS journalist and keep out of club and ST politics and giving his twopeneth of uninformed comments/tweets on accountancy.

That is I believe fair comment about Mr Iles.

You’ve just proved my point. 

Now, back to the takeover.

I hope H stays around too but I rather suspect he will go where his job takes them.

As for Iles our 'esteemed' SPORTS journalist, he could be your younger brother for all I know but until he writes something about Holdsworth financial involvement whilst at the club (the information is already out there) and states something (anything!) factual that's negative about the ST's behaviour (their chairmen - Hurst and Bridge 'disappeared' without a mention from him, the failure to even hold their mandatory AGM one year, nor even a line about his professional bodies rebuke given to their current 'poster boy' and high vis spokesman, Roger Allanson - and which is in the public domain - indeed reported elsewhere in the Bolton News itself!) yet quotes them at every other available opportunity - indeed their statement was the very FIRST thing he posted after his holiday break last week - then you can not convince me - or all the other critics of him (which seem to be slowly but  gradually increasing imo), that he is far from being impartial and reporting fairly without bias and taking sides.

And if you really want to get me going his reporting and understanding of the last set of published accounts - and more to the point his tweets clearly inferring amongst other things that Anderson had only paid £150k for Holdsworth shares - which incensed the brain dead masses that clearly take what he says as gospel - and was the tipping point of the growing hatred of Anderson to turn into the toxicity it became  - was scandalous and clearly not understood by him, let alone even researched and checked with anybody with a bit of knowledge about accountancy.

Until he proves to report BOTH sides of a story, FAIRLY and without BIAS, then I for one will remain critical of him.

Maybe he should stay with being the local SPORTS journalist and keep out of club and ST politics and giving his twopeneth of uninformed comments/tweets on accountancy.

7 hours ago, Traf said:

I think you've hit the nail perfectly on the head with your assessment of the BN and its "journalists"

Good point, well made Traf, everything I've said above in respect of Iles equally applies to his boss, Neil Bonnar as well.

It really isn't that difficult to remain fair and unbiased if you simply stick to the facts instead of publicly tweeting stuff like 'best for Bolton but worst outcome possible for Anderson.

How can ANYONE claim that to be an impartial and a non biased comment - coming indeed from the HEAD OF SPORTS at the paper?

Yet some folk clearly think it is I and others with the agenda???

What exactly is the " Good Point " Traf made so well ?

All he did was agree with you - its really cringe worthy is this 

There's a simple answer to this continuous diatribe

STOP READING THE BEN & MOVE ON  

Most people  use it as one source of news , but  its not the only source and it becomes less relevant by the day 

You are100% correct about Iles, Sluffy. He doesn't want to know anything that doesn't fit in with his prejudiced narrative. Bonnar is much the same.

But I also suspect that this narrative pre-dates the arrival of Iles 12 years ago and probably stemmed from Gordon Shorrock's dislike of Phil Gartside.This might take us back 20 years to when Eddie Davies first came in with crucial financial support and Gartside replaced Gordon Hargreaves as chairman.

16 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

It would be an improvement on what we've currently got Shirley?

They'd get the fans on board and we'd get promoted from Div 1, then let's see where it takes us.

I'm in.

Get rid of that greedy so and so Anderson and bring back Sam!

Am I missing something?

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Most people  use it as one source of news , but  its not the only source and it becomes less relevant by the day 

I for one don't read it, however that doesn't take away from the fact that Iles is a shoddy, lazy journalist at best & his biased & inaccurate reporting fires up the hard of thinking who can't wait to latch on to any negativity regarding KA/BWFC. 

So here's a round up...

- Just out of court where we could've been wound up

- Mystery bidder who has people ITK excited close to taking over

- This site's resident ITK (and Simon Jordan to a lesser extent in the real world) saying that KA has at best shown no regard for the club's future, and at worst been defrauding it while it was on its knees

- Big Sam interested in making a return

... and yet still the thing getting some wound up more than anything is the journo for the local paper. 

Edited by Tombwfc

I loved Kevin Nolan as a player and if he was appointed manager, there would be some serious finger pointing done.  But...as a manager he has done and won nothing so far other than leave 2 clubs he was managing under a bit of a cloud.   We want to get out of L1 at the first attempt. Not sure this is Nolan’s Time.

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

I loved Kevin Nolan as a player and if he was appointed manager, there would be some serious finger pointing done.  But...as a manager he has done and won nothing so far other than leave 2 clubs he was managing under a bit of a cloud.   We want to get out of L1 at the first attempt. Not sure this is Nolan’s Time.

While I don’t disagree with you, it took Sam a few attempts in management before he was successful - Nobby may still be finding his feet..

i just don’t want us to be another trial rung on his managerial ladder.

Edited by Ros Coe

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I’d personally want a manager with proven L1 record who might then need replacing though not necessarily if we did come up. I’m thinking Grayson, Rowett, Clough type

Manager with a proven record in L1....

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

Sluffy lives in Slough, he never buys the Bolton News to read the couple of pages about football. For some reason he gets really, really worked up about whats Marc Iles writes on the online section.

For those saying Allardyce isn't good enough for Bolton ---- aye alreet

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I suppose if you want actual promotions on their CV, I’ve got a great idea - let’s stick with Parky

He does have the record but he’s now verging on toxic, we need to part company and thank him for his hard work and faithful diligence. 

26 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Thing is with Nolan is that he has been successful in his short managerial career so far. He had a 42% win rate at Leyton Orient when he got chucked in for 15 games at short notice, took over Notts County half way through the season when they were 23rd and took them to mid table in that season, and then had them challenging for promotion all the following season and lost in the play offs. Granted he had a shit start to the next season but he was sacked after about 7 matches which was stupid and Notts County have never recovered.

I’m not one for appointing someone just because they are a fans favourite, Coyle showed how that can end up, but surely our next appointment should be a youngish manager with fresh, new ideas. Nolan fits that bill and has had relative success in his career so far, the fact that he would get the crowd behind him from the off and bring back a feel good factor that is massively needed would be an added bonus.

I wouldn’t want him just given the job straight away, he’d have to be considered with other potential candidates in the same mould, but give me Nolan over a Lambert, Moyes, Parky type any day.

^ agreed. This is where we're at. A league 1 club either goes for someone who's been round the block once or twice, or takes a punt on a young relatively untried chap.

Fresh start means fresh ideas, a few bumps in the road but hopefully we get lucky. Nolan or SKD as ex players would both appeal to me. 

12 hours ago, e2e4 said:

All this stuff about buying out of davies's chunk and cutting king ken out .. he (davies) sold it to Sports Shield in the first place , i think the quote was "i know they have the money" but about 6 months later Sports Shield was bankrupt and ken anderson owned 96% of bwfc shares . 

Whether Ken Anderson can afford to keep it running is up to him , he's said he cannot. 

so .. why would you buy out the davies's 5-10 million holdover to seize the club from under his nose or force ken to sell or give it to you? . If

A, you are loaded. 

B, have the clubs interests first in mind. 

seems to me that Anderson doesnt want to be in a position were he sells it to the first knobhead that comes in like Davies did. 

When i looked it up, burden leisure turned over more money than jeff thomas's UKCloud .

i laughed when that collapsed because it felt like they were trying to run out the clock . couldnt believe he'd got another 3 weeks when it went to the court . 

The going round Anderson and things [wait til they get put in adminstration, then buy them] talk doesnt inspire confidence. 

I'd rather hear " I can talk to other interested parties " , "There is a new bidder" , even if its a bluff. it seems to piss off timewasters. although he cant do it forever. 

I hope it all works out

I seem to recall Eddie saying that he had been approached by about 50 timewasters and tyre kickers before Holdsworth, who showed up with one or two other doubtful individuals in tow before KA arrived on the scene at the last minute. It cannot have been at all easy for Eddie to hand over his beloved club to chancers but KA, at least, had expertise that the club badly needed.

Just over two years later the club had reduced player costs and future commitments, managed to keep most of its permanent staff employed, regained and maintained Championship status and was forecast to actually turn in a profit for the first time in years. Shareholders at the 2018 AGM seemed to think that KA had worked a  miracle.

If he now manages to hand it over to someone with deep pockets and a willingness to spend some of it on the club, who will say he hasn't?

Don't answer that, I know who they are.

Edited by Chris Custodiet

I wouldn't have a problem with  Nolan & BSA returning tbh, can't see it happening though.

I would like us to maybe go for Gary Rowett if we could attract him, he's an impressive record, apart from his Stoke appointment,  I think he'd be ideal for us.