Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

Just now, ZicoKelly said:

Were you not around from 2003-2007?

Not sure what that's got to do with the present prem? But I'm not looking for anyone to agree, it's just my win view, I would rather watch us being competitive in the championship than losing against the Bournemouths and brightons whilst never seeing the ball in a third of the games played in front of huge crowds that clap politely and take pics when they score their 4th.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure what that's got to do with the present prem? But I'm not looking for anyone to agree, it's just my win view, I would rather watch us being competitive in the championship 

We're not even competitive in the championship

And if you are you're trying to get out of it

And if we do there's no reason we can't compete in the PL again like we once did

Like Burnley last season

And even if you're down the bottom you're competing to stay in it

Sorry, I just don't get this mentality that you'd rather plod along in this league than get promoted and have another crack at the PL

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure what that's got to do with the present prem? But I'm not looking for anyone to agree, it's just my win view, I would rather watch us being competitive in the championship than losing against the Bournemouths and brightons whilst never seeing the ball in a third of the games played in front of huge crowds that clap politely and take pics when they score their 4th.

Well relative season ticket sales, Bolton in the Prem and Bolton in the Championship says your view isn't the same as most other supporters.

I get that the first year after relegation would still see fairly healthy ST sales because the expectation is still there. Now, a few years and further relegation and promotion later we are really running out of any positive outlook. Unless something massive happens between now and the start of next season, we'll struggle to reach 4 or 5,000 ST sales.

Anyone saying they do not want to get promoted needs to give their head a wobble. Look at Burnley. 

A lot needs to change at the club before start dreaming Fleetwood lot more likely than Arsenal for us. 

I’d rather spend the rest of my bolton watching life watching us go up and down the divisions to be honest.

Theres always a hull, forest or Gillingham just around the corner and a few years in the sunshine at the top.

Being a championship also ran or similar just doesn’t float my boat at all. Preston, Bradford, Peterborough, Coventry in recent times etc ...what a shit mundane existence the likes of them have really had. 

7 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Could well be playing Salford next year the way we are both going, dear me 

Not next year but we might pass them on way down the year after. By the end of next seasons Salford could be above Bolton that’s a frightening thought. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

30 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not next year but we might pass them on way down the year after. By the end of next seasons Salford could be above Bolton that’s a frightening thought. 

I meant calendar year, September 2020 

Doubt we would drop to League Two but they have a solid chance of getting to League One I imagine 

Either way it’s would be a shit show 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Eavesy said:

State of that team

What a midfield that it

youri Nolan frandsen okocha gardner

You say that. Chelsea absolutely fucking battered us, the speed with which they attacked was scary.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

the other thing to do

when you imagine/dream/fantasise about us being back in the PL and what it might be like

just pretend Bournemouth and Brighton get relegated the season we get promoted to avoid long dull trips

then imagine Wigan and Blackburn or whoever else you like going to away in the Championship like Sheff Weds also get promoted, so that it gives us some local derbies and/or easy games to get to

15 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

No games under Parky are enjoyable whether it's the prem or the unibond. This topic is only relevant if it's assumed we have a manager that likes to attack.

What about when he won at Chelsea with Bradford City?

Or when he scared Chelsea with Colchester?

Of course since then he has 'matured' at a manager.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, MalcolmW said:

He's actually regressed tactically. We were only saying last week, in his early days, he didn't chop & change as much and he had a plan. Nowadays I honestly think he is totally clueless & has no idea what his next team selection is gonna be.

4 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

To clarify, I meant league games.  Cup games under Parky are generally OK, he plays a different system so we get for eg the Palace games, the Sheff Wed 3-2, Walsall 5-1 and Bradford win at Chelsea.  It has no relevance to league games.

13 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

We're not even competitive in the championship

And if you are you're trying to get out of it

And if we do there's no reason we can't compete in the PL again like we once did

Like Burnley last season

And even if you're down the bottom you're competing to stay in it

Sorry, I just don't get this mentality that you'd rather plod along in this league than get promoted and have another crack at the PL

Fair points.  I know we aren't currently competitive in the championship, I did say the conversation is only relevant if we get a proper manager.  What division we're in is irrelevant under Parky, its going to be grim and/or embarrassing.  I don't quite agree you're trying to get out of a division if you're competitive.  Wolves are great in the Prem but they're not trying to finish in a champions league position, they're just trying to get results every week, same as Watford, and I'd love us to be like that in either of the top 2 divisions.  Like I say, each to their own, I get where everyone's coming from wanting to be in the Prem, I just personally would be settle for being a Derby or QPR or Forest where realistically you're going nowhere but you're getting some great results or performances home or away 2 or 3 times a month.  I don't see us ever getting the pleasure of seeing that level in the Prem without the massive benefactors of a Bournemouth or a Wolves.  And compared to when we were in the Prem its become more boring and predictable, I'm not looking for us to be part of it at the expense of enjoying the games.

• Site Supporter

I reckon wolves would love to get in a champ's league position. It may not be a direct aim, but if you take a game at a time and win most of them then who knows.

Can see your point, but it isn't sustainable long term. If the club became too content to not challenge, then it starts to lose its soul.

Slow decline potentially.

Look at Prestoncha for example. Happy with mediocrity and spends time wuming elsewhere because it's shite.

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

I’d rather spend the rest of my bolton watching life watching us go up and down the divisions to be honest.

Theres always a hull, forest or Gillingham just around the corner and a few years in the sunshine at the top.

Being a championship also ran or similar just doesn’t float my boat at all. Preston, Bradford, Peterborough, Coventry in recent times etc ...what a shit mundane existence the likes of them have really had. 

I wouldn't have minded watching some of Posh's goalscorers in last few years though!  Boyd, Tomlin, Marriott, Assombalonga, Gayle, Mackail-Smith before he went to Brighton - it shows how dreadful we've been when a mid table Div 1 club has 6 better strikers just off top of my head than some we had in the Prem (I'm talking N'Gog, Sordell, Rasiak etc not the exceptions like Klasnic & Davies) and definitely better than anything we've managed in the championship years.  For what its worth, all those boring sides have at least had 6 trips to Wembley between them in the last 4 years!  And all were won except Bradford's 2 visits.

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

He's actually regressed tactically. We were only saying last week, in his early days, he didn't chop & change as much and he had a plan. Nowadays I honestly think he is totally clueless & has no idea what his next team selection is gonna be.

He’s always been poor tactically.

He just had madine previously

On 04/02/2019 at 20:23, Steejay said:

Yep, it feels worse than what it says in the table. If you stand back a bit then it’s recoverable. When you’re at the games, it’s just depressing.

It certainly is recoverable but not with Parkinson at the helm I'm afraid. on a side note we've lost Stelios from the running he's just been made assistant manager of Greece.