Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

How much each Championship club owes to banks and its owners

Freddie Hill

• Site Supporter

Bloody hell! Are we so mismanaged that our comparatively small debt is weighing us down more than Stoke, Blackburn and Boro's massive debts are weighing them down? Oh for an I'm-so-rich-I-don't-give-a-fuck bailout. 

Venkys... what made them drive past Bolton to go and splash £100m at Blackburn?

• Moderators

we'd have been bottom of the list a few years back when ED was lending us cash to the tune of £200M or whatever it was

Stoke's owner could wipe it all out tomorrow and do one leaving them on zero, like  ED did - soon builds up again

I doubt they'll be calling in that debt anytime soon, same goes for Boro

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Just downright ridiculous the debts of some clubs, Brentford, how are they gonna get out of that?  I honestly think the EFL need to get a tighter grip, some clubs must be on a knife edge of administration.  Sky money my arse, its obviously not done any good at all

This is the issue, as long as their backers don't want their money back then it doesn't matter.

That's where it falls down- ffp supposed to stop this but not sure how effective it is.

As you say, huge money in the game from sky, but clubs aren't necessarily any better placed.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Stoke's owner could wipe it all out tomorrow and do one leaving them on zero, like  ED did - soon builds up again

I doubt they'll be calling in that debt anytime soon, same goes for Boro

But if they did...

I always wondered, when the likes of Obramavich came onto the scene, what happens if he gets bored and finds some other hobby? Same for every other millionaire backer.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

But if they did...

I always wondered, when the likes of Obramavich came onto the scene, what happens if he gets bored and finds some other hobby? Same for every other millionaire backer.

Genuine question: the likes of Chelsea at the very top; are they getting to the point of self sufficiency now- the sky money, champs league etc must be massive. Or are the sugar daddies still funding them?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

But if they did...

Same as what happened to us when ED turned the taps off

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

In a free market economy, it doesn’t matter, people should be able to spend/spunk what they want.

A fair point.

I think if they're going to have rules like ffp, then make them fit for purpose and uphold them.

Otherwise don't bother.

Halfway house serves no one.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Genuine question: the likes of Chelsea at the very top; are they getting to the point of self sufficiency now- the sky money, champs league etc must be massive. Or are the sugar daddies still funding them?

Wasn’t this the basis for the questions being asked about City re FFP and where their money was coming from? 

With some players earning up to £250K a week, even the SKY money and Champions League earnings couldn’t cover their outgoings, and they were still reliant on massive funding from the owners??

Might be reading it all wrong?

• Members
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d truly love Man City’s owners to do one, how good would that be. 

Must just be me but I'd rather see something financially harrowing happen to the DMB's.

What are we living for? To see United in Division Four.

12 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

There should be 2 separate lists - 1, How much you owe the bank/Finance houses and 2,How much you owe your owners.

The bank has to be paid, but most of the owners know they won't get their money back therefore it's not a true debt.

Aye 

The debt to owners is usually just tax avoidance 

If ever the club does have a cash surplus / make a profit then it just pays the owners debt off meaning tax man gets nothing ever 

It's effectively someone owing themselves money 

17 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Abramovich set out with the intention of making the club self-sufficient.

He may well have accepted the possibility of eventually being excluded from the UK in view of his closeness to Putin.