Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Diabetes

Dr Faustus

It was inevitable, but now it's official.

I am a diabetonian

Diet controlled at the moment, but other seeing my folks struggle with it amongst umpteen other ailments, I'm not sure what to expect- limb loss etc aside.

Any of you esteemed posters suffer? What can I expect? Any tips?

In terms of diet don’t go “faddy” just make sure it’s balanced ie plenty fruit and veg along with your protein and carbs

Blood pressure/cholesterol are what can cause problems  and things like limb loss are down to poor circulation, raging BP, etc. Uncontrolled BP can also cause bad kidney disease so, sounds obvious, but cut out cardiovascular risk factors such as fags and excess booze. Diabetes can be controlled and doesn’t harm you as such, it’s the heart/kidney issues that do so best advice is look after that side of things

I had my 60 year MOT in October and was told I was borderline diabetes, the nurse told me to cut down on everything I like and eat plenty veg and fruit and to drink low/zero calorie drinks, I've always had high BP and been on tablets for about 15 years, I keep active by walking to the pub and taking the mutts out.Re-rest in March

36 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

I had my 60 year MOT in October and was told I was borderline diabetes, the nurse told me to cut down on everything I like and eat plenty veg and fruit and to drink low/zero calorie drinks, I've always had high BP and been on tablets for about 15 years, I keep active by walking to the pub and taking the mutts out.Re-rest in March

Haha R....some have missed the walking to the pub quote mate :D

• Moderators

worked with one once who could never make his mind up

one minute he's like "can't eat chococlate, I'm diabetic", the next it's "quick, get me some chocolate, I'm having a diabetic attack" or whatever they call it

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

one minute he's like "can't eat chococlate, I'm diabetic", the next it's "quick, get me some chocolate, I'm having a diabetic attack" or whatever they call it

The difference between Hypoglycemic  and Hyperglycemia. And I think this is more to do with type 1 than type 2 although I could be wrong.

15 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

My medical mate was quite placid in those situations.

Dia Calm.

6 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

It was inevitable, but now it's official.

I am a diabetonian

Diet controlled at the moment, but other seeing my folks struggle with it amongst umpteen other ailments, I'm not sure what to expect- limb loss etc aside.

Any of you esteemed posters suffer? What can I expect? Any tips?

Have you got a Bolton GP? Drop me a line if you have. 

31 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Aye. Agree. The only note of caution is the emphasis on these “radical” diets. It’s all about balance

Type 1 diabetes is insulin-related and is very dependent on insulin. Keep that controlled and that’s the key

Type 2 is so much more about your cardiovascular system - the heart and kidneys - keeping them healthy is the key

My annual check this year showed that my triglycerides were raised worryingly. They are a key marker in Type 2 diabetes. My liver enzymes were also on the high side of normal. Everything was therefore pointing to me moving towards a pre-diabetic state. I’ve cut booze out during the week, quit smoking (2 weeks and 1 day so far), reduced carb intake (not cut them out completely as you need them) and started swimming again twice a week. Having steroid injections in both my big toes tomorrow morning so that I can start walking and cycling again. Look after your heart and kidneys folks. Massive wake up call for me and this thread emphasises it even more.