Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Area's Of Bolton Never Been To

leigh white

• Site Supporter

It's not as bad as it once was. Due, mainly, to Maggie's selling off of social housing stock. Also, executive homes were built on the former reservoir and decent flats on the old school. It all kind of dilutes the chaviness.

28 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Worked in most districts of Bolton over the years, and the only place I can think of is the Oldham's Estate off Belmont Rd. I'm I missing anything not going there ?

I've worked in all BL areas. Oldham's is just like any other estate. And there is nothing wrong with estates. Plenty of good folk on them.  I can name streets, rather than large areas, that are absolutely terrible. 

1 minute ago, Underpants said:

I've worked in all BL areas. Oldham's is just like any other estate. And there is nothing wrong with estates. Plenty of good folk on them.  I can name streets, rather than large areas, that are absolutely terrible. 

Not disputing that, I remember waiting for the Trans Lancs bus at Moor Lane in the 70s for an away game at Oldham, and a bus came in with Oldhams Estate on it, some of the Bolton fans jumped on it thinking it was going to Oldham, before being told it wont be going that way.

12 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Not disputing that, I remember waiting for the Trans Lancs bus at Moor Lane in the 70s for an away game at Oldham, and a bus came in with Oldhams Estate on it, some of the Bolton fans jumped on it thinking it was going to Oldham, before being told it wont be going that way.

That would be the 534 ;-)

35 minutes ago, Underpants said:

That would be the 534 ;-)

Ha ha fuck me I used to get the 534. My bus was the 535 up Belmont Road but the 534 was more frequent so easier to get that and walk up through Oldhams to get home. Seriously bad estate mid 70’s

Old enough to remember that bus as the 54 iirc and the Belmont bus as the 55 and weren’t they maroon and cream colour before the SELNEC orange and white??

Only area of Bolton that I’ve never worked in and/or never had mates in has been Breightmet - know nowt of the area - Harwood and the fringes yes but actual Breightmet never been

17 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Ha ha fuck me I used to get the 534. My bus was the 535 up Belmont Road but the 534 was more frequent so easier to get that and walk up through Oldhams to get home. Seriously bad estate mid 70’s

Old enough to remember that bus as the 54 iirc and the Belmont bus as the 55 and weren’t they maroon and cream colour before the SELNEC orange and white??

Only area of Bolton that I’ve never worked in and/or never had mates in has been Breightmet - know nowt of the area - Harwood and the fringes yes but actual Breightmet never been

Surprising the amount of folk living in such a big town never ever get to visit the other side. It took me a long time to do it, apart from Oldham's.:)

2 hours ago, Underpants said:

Having worked all round bolton the biggest not rights are from Horridge.

The folks of Oldhams, johnny fow, withins etc are nothing compared to a middle class retiree with too much time on their hands

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Underpants said:

Apart from recent new build I think I've been down every street, road, avenue...etc in Bolton. Beat that.

I know every street in the Greater Manchester A to Z. Had to be learned to qualify to drive fire engines.

Edited by MickyD
Premature click of post button.