Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Norwich City at home

Kane57

• Moderators
7 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

That's a bit of a lazy explanation for why Norwich get 25k+ every week in the Championship to be honest (in fact we even did in League One).

As if people from Norfolk couldn't find "much to do" in a county surrounded by 90 miles of coastline and containing 200 kilometres of navigable (and fishable) waterways.... perhaps they could visit a city centre which keeps getting named as one of the cities top 10 shopping destinations, or perhaps the chaps could chance their arm at chatting up the latest posh totty at the student union of one of Norwich's two universities, or go and have a butchers at one of the two cathedrals in the city, or check out the castle museum, or check out one of the counties two zoo's... or spend the day at one of the counties 11 National trust properties.... or go and have a nosey at the countries largest seal colony. Or go and watched a show at one of Norwich's three theatres..... or spend less than a tenner on a train to Cambridge, or an hour and a half on the train to London. 

In fact.... Great Yarmouth is full of Northerners whenever I go there (although personally I'd like us to give that bit of the county to Suffolk).

A pub for every day of the year and a church for every week of the year in Norwich. Imagine having a county with a population of 859,000 with nothing to do on a weekend. Unless you meant to say "they haven't got any rugby teams" which is definitely a valid point.... Northern teams do have to compete with rugby. 

If it was as simple as that then you'd be able to tell me why we were getting crowds of 14,000 in the 90's..... and why Ipswich, also the only club in a similar size county, get gates similar to yours? 

If you want the real reason its because we spent about 10 years selling season tickets to kids for a tenner, giving 1000 tickets to schools every home game, and ran constant kids for quid promotions in the late 90's and early 00's, reinventing ourselves as a community and family club. We were crap and skint (a bit like you right now, if I'm brutally honest), but we found a way to ensure that kids from Norwich bought Norwich shirts instead of Man Utd and Arsenal ones.... 

And now all those kids are adults and pay £500 a year for a season ticket, there's 20,000 season ticket holders. I'm in my thirties and like every other Norwich fan between the age of about 25 to 35 I spent my entire youth from the age of about 8 to 18 going to the footy for pretty much free..... think my season ticket was £12 until I was 15 and then £23 until I was 18..... so 50p a game and then £1 a game. 

Now its over £500 a season. 

That's why we've got gates of 25,000+ for the past 15 years.... because we made a serious effort to intentionally convert an entire generation of kids into Norwich fans. A bit like heroin dealers do when they give people their first hits for free.

But anyway, hope your club sorts itself out etc.... never nice to see a club struggling and having to worry about the future all the time, wouldn't even wish that on Ipswich (though a few years stuck in League One would be nice to see). 

Don't really understand why you didn't start Ameobi when he caused us all sorts of problems at Carrow Road earlier just a couple of months ago?!? Might have had a game on our hands if we had him to think about from the start.... weren't that one 3-2? Everything went through Ameobi for you in that game! 

Should save this post for when Worthy10 goes to Norwich

Think the point is that footballing wise Norwich is an oasis in the (very pleasant) desert that is Norfolk. 

The nearest club to you is what? 60 miles? Draw a sixty mile radius around Bolton and you won’t believe how many clubs there are in there.

We’ve got 3 of the biggest clubs in the world playing Champions League football on our doorstep.

And we’re a bit shit at the moment. 

That’s our reality. 

Has Micky D sobered up yet? Jesus wept.

Anyone that thinks all this boils down to basic coaching and management is mental.

Why he’d pick to go 2 up front against the best team in the league and persist with one up top against teams around us is beyond me.

like most of his other barmy decisions.

Hes the luckiest manager in the country to still be in a job. 

7 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

That's a bit of a lazy explanation for why Norwich get 25k+ every week in the Championship to be honest (in fact we even did in League One).

As if people from Norfolk couldn't find "much to do" in a county surrounded by 90 miles of coastline and containing 200 kilometres of navigable (and fishable) waterways.... perhaps they could visit a city centre which keeps getting named as one of the cities top 10 shopping destinations, or perhaps the chaps could chance their arm at chatting up the latest posh totty at the student union of one of Norwich's two universities, or go and have a butchers at one of the two cathedrals in the city, or check out the castle museum, or check out one of the counties two zoo's... or spend the day at one of the counties 11 National trust properties.... or go and have a nosey at the countries largest seal colony. Or go and watched a show at one of Norwich's three theatres..... or spend less than a tenner on a train to Cambridge, or an hour and a half on the train to London. 

In fact.... Great Yarmouth is full of Northerners whenever I go there (although personally I'd like us to give that bit of the county to Suffolk).

A pub for every day of the year and a church for every week of the year in Norwich. Imagine having a county with a population of 859,000 with nothing to do on a weekend. Unless you meant to say "they haven't got any rugby teams" which is definitely a valid point.... Northern teams do have to compete with rugby. 

If it was as simple as that then you'd be able to tell me why we were getting crowds of 14,000 in the 90's..... and why Ipswich, also the only club in a similar size county, get gates similar to yours? 

If you want the real reason its because we spent about 10 years selling season tickets to kids for a tenner, giving 1000 tickets to schools every home game, and ran constant kids for quid promotions in the late 90's and early 00's, reinventing ourselves as a community and family club. We were crap and skint (a bit like you right now, if I'm brutally honest), but we found a way to ensure that kids from Norwich bought Norwich shirts instead of Man Utd and Arsenal ones.... 

And now all those kids are adults and pay £500 a year for a season ticket, there's 20,000 season ticket holders. I'm in my thirties and like every other Norwich fan between the age of about 25 to 35 I spent my entire youth from the age of about 8 to 18 going to the footy for pretty much free..... think my season ticket was £12 until I was 15 and then £23 until I was 18..... so 50p a game and then £1 a game. 

Now its over £500 a season. 

That's why we've got gates of 25,000+ for the past 15 years.... because we made a serious effort to intentionally convert an entire generation of kids into Norwich fans. A bit like heroin dealers do when they give people their first hits for free.

But anyway, hope your club sorts itself out etc.... never nice to see a club struggling and having to worry about the future all the time, wouldn't even wish that on Ipswich (though a few years stuck in League One would be nice to see). 

Don't really understand why you didn't start Ameobi when he caused us all sorts of problems at Carrow Road earlier just a couple of months ago?!? Might have had a game on our hands if we had him to think about from the start.... weren't that one 3-2? Everything went through Ameobi for you in that game! 

That's an awful lot of waffle that avoids the simple fact that Norwich get decent crowds because they have a large catchment area & sod all footballing competition in it.

As for Ameobi.....he isn't starting currently because his recent form has been pisspoor, & i'm not convinced you were at the Carrow Rd game - i was - because it was Ameobi who cost us a hard earned point by getting himself sent off !!!

Anyway, good luck to Norwich, they were the best team I've seen here this season.

Good luck to Norwich.  They're obviously doing things the right way on and off the pitch.  I found the city to be really nice and their supporters to be a good sort for my first ever visit in December.

Norwich join the list of Fulham, Chelsea, Man U, Wolves and Sheffield Utd to have totally dominated us at the Reebok, Macron etc

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

Good luck to Norwich.  They're obviously doing things the right way on and off the pitch.  I found the city to be really nice and their supporters to be a good sort for my first ever visit in December.

Norwich join the list of Fulham, Chelsea, Man U, Wolves and Sheffield Utd to have totally dominated us at the Reebok, Macron etc

Put your rod away .....

4 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Fair play to Norwich as this has paid dividends to your regular fan base.  However, the bottom line for Bolton is that we are within 15 miles of the two Manchester clubs.  

And when you go to Ipswich 45 miles away from Norwich you'll see a town full of Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea shirts...... I don't think you have to be close to Manchester to risk having kids support whoever they can watch for free on their dad's sky subscription..... which is why you need to try and cut Sky and their parents out of the loop

So those 12 year old Man Utd fans in Bolton.... are they actually going to Old Trafford, or they just copying their mates in buying Man Utd shirts and sitting at home watching it on the TV? I was going to the footy alone with my mates when I was 13 because it was literally cheaper than doing anything else with them.... cheaper than getting a bottle of Frosty Jack's, cheaper than the council swimming pool. 

I can remember in 1995 (when I was 10) there were several kids in my class go and buy fucking Blackburn Rovers tops because they were top of the league.... I bet none of them have touched foot in Blackburn even to this day. 

I think what you are actually competing with is Sky Sports and Xbox/Playstation. 

3 hours ago, bolton va va said:

That's an awful lot of waffle that avoids the simple fact that Norwich get decent crowds because they have a large catchment area & sod all footballing competition in it.

Norfolk = 1 professional club, population 859,400

Suffolk = 1 professional club, population 730,000

Ipswich average attendances last season = 16,271 (16th highest in the league) - about half full

Norwich average attendance last season = 25,785 (7th highest in the league). - full

In order for your hypothesis to hold water and to completely dismiss my comments about our proactive efforts to grow a fan base in the nineties and early naughties, you'd need to explain why it was that we used get around 14,000 to 16,000 in the nineties too.

The man who was in charge of growing our fan base did such a good job that he moved to MK Dons for a fresh challenge, where he still is now, where he has built attendances from 0 to an average of 9,202. 

Here's an article from 2008 which explains: http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2008/08/21/sales-chief-cullen-going-to-prove-a-very-tough-act-to-follow-as-he-heads-for-the-stadiummk/

Quote:

Cullen, 47, is expected to take up his new role at stadium:mk role later this autumn and will be a very hard act to follow after his unrivalled success in sustaining the Canaries' season ticket base on an unrelenting recent diet of mid-table – or worse – Championship fare.

The fact that the MK Dons offer such a blank canvas in terms of building a whole new generation of supporters for a club that is still little more than a babe in arms is clearly a big attraction; that having ticked most of the sales and marketing boxes at Carrow Road over the last ten years, perhaps it was now time to see if he could repeat the feat for MK Dons' ambitious owner, Pete Winkelman.

Perhaps you should hire him? 

Actually here's a better article: 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/so-why-are-norwich-city-s-season-ticket-sales-soaring-so-high-1-823503

We went from 8,800 season ticket holders in 94/95 (a Premier League season) to having 19,671 season ticket holders in League One in 2008/09 and then on to a record of 21,063 in 2011. 

You seriously telling me catchment area explains that?..... Nope. 

Edited by NorwichLad

8 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Ipswich average attendances last season = 16,271 (16th highest in the league) - about half full

Norwich average attendance last season = 25,785 (7th highest in the league). - full

In order for your hypothesis to hold water and to completely dismiss my comments about our proactive efforts to grow a fan base in the nineties and early naughties, you'd need to explain why it was that we used get around 14,000 to 16,000 in the nineties too.

The man who was in charge of growing our fan base did such a good job that he moved to MK Dons for a fresh challenge, where he still is now, where he has built attendances from 0 to an average of 9,202. 

Here's an article from 2008 which explains: http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2008/08/21/sales-chief-cullen-going-to-prove-a-very-tough-act-to-follow-as-he-heads-for-the-stadiummk/

Quote:

We could do worse, at the moment though no one could bring a significant number of new supporters because the club is in such a bad place on and off the field, lifelong dyed in the wool season ticket holders are not turning up week in week out, nothing will change until Anderson and Parkinson depart.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

20 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

And when you go to Ipswich 45 miles away from Norwich you'll see a town full of Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea shirts...... I don't think you have to be close to Manchester to risk having kids support whoever they can watch for free on their dad's sky subscription..... which is why you need to try and cut Sky and their parents out of the loop

So those 12 year old Man Utd fans in Bolton.... are they actually going to Old Trafford, or they just copying their mates in buying Man Utd shirts and sitting at home watching it on the TV? I was going to the footy alone with my mates when I was 13 because it was literally cheaper than doing anything else with them.... cheaper than getting a bottle of Frosty Jack's, cheaper than the council swimming pool. 

I can remember in 1995 (when I was 10) there were several kids in my class go and buy fucking Blackburn Rovers tops because they were top of the league.... I bet none of them have touched foot in Blackburn even to this day. 

I think what you are actually competing with is Sky Sports and Xbox/Playstation. 

I take your point and engaging with local kids is a sound policy. We have made kids tickets cheaper over the last few years. The fact remains there is far more chance of the Manchester clubs getting these casual fans to be more committed here because we are in Greater Manchester. 

4 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Quote:

It is not belittling Norwich’s efforts to point out we are in totally different positions. I live in Leeds and my drive to Bolton is about an hour I pass Leeds, Bradford , Huddersfield, Oldham, Rochdale and Manchester if I go on M62. Can go over on M65 and pass Bury, Burnley and Blackburn, get near Preston. So that is 11 of 92 league teams in the hours journey. If you come from West there is Blackpool and the scousers so we are up to 15 league teams in an hours drive. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We could do worse, at the moment though no one could bring a significant number of new suppprters because the club is in such a bad place in and off the field, lifelong dyed in the wool season ticket holders are not turning up week in week out, nothing will change until Anderson and Parkinson depart.

I sympathise but it wasn't really about why Bolton attendances are so low (understandable, similar with Blackpool in recent years etc). 

I was just making the point that our strong attendances aren't just down to a heavy dose of luck geographically.... obviously that is a part of it, but that tells only a fraction of the story.... we were getting 16,000 when we were 3rd in the Premier League under Mike Walker with the likes of Ruel Fox, Chris Sutton, Jeremy Goss, Bryan Gunn and Mark Goss in the team. Sutton was the countries top scorer that year and we flogged him to Blackburn for a British record transfer fee.

We still had that countywide catchment area then.... we've genuinely and literally grown as a club over that time, and it wasn't an accident, that's all I'm saying. Just saying that there is nothing else to do in Norfolk and we're lucky not to be next to Man Utd isn't a sufficient explanation.

But I like Bolton and hope you sort yourselves out, fond memories of Jay Jay Okocha from when I was a kid! 

Just now, Farrelli said:

I take your point and engaging with local kids is a sound policy. We have made kids tickets cheaper over the last few years. The fact remains there is far more chance of the Manchester clubs getting these casual fans to be more committed here because we are in Greater Manchester. 

With a half decent team we’d be able to attract more younger fans, getting too and from manchester isn’t easy for kids under their own steam and watching games at city or Man U isn’t that cheap, first of all we’ve got to get something on the pitch that resembles a football team before kids will be attracted in decent numbers. 

4 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

I sympathise but it wasn't really about why Bolton attendances are so low (understandable, similar with Blackpool in recent years etc). 

I was just making the point that our strong attendances aren't just down to a heavy dose of luck geographically.... obviously that is a part of it, but that tells only a fraction of the story.... we were getting 16,000 when we were 3rd in the Premier League under Mike Walker with the likes of Ruel Fox, Chris Sutton, Jeremy Goss, Bryan Gunn and Mark Goss in the team. Sutton was the countries top scorer that year and we flogged him to Blackburn for a British record transfer fee.

We still had that countywide catchment area then.... we've genuinely and literally grown as a club over that time, and it wasn't an accident, that's all I'm saying. Just saying that there is nothing else to do in Norfolk and we're lucky not to be next to Man Utd isn't a sufficient explanation.

But I like Bolton and hope you sort yourselves out, fond memories of Jay Jay Okocha from when I was a kid! 

It’s obvious a great job has been done in growing your support and I believe it is possible to grow your fan base over time, but there has to be a product to watch to stand any chance of kids staying around to become lifelong supporters, at the moment the football is beyond diabolical and no amount of cheap deals are going to encourage new supporters. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I'm just pleased that someone from Norwich has been able to come on and show us how we all know fuck all about the football culture in the town we've all lived in for the majority of our lives.

Maybe we could get an opposition fan every week to show where we're going wrong in different aspects of our lives?

We've got Millwall at home next. Perhaps they could sort out the decline of retail in the town centre?

We've had junior season tickets at £49-£75 or whatever they are these days for the best part of 10 years. 

We give schools tickets too. 

The problem is it's fucking shit. You can't give your ticket away if you are unable to make it. 

Those fans who went when we were in the upper echelons of the prem have also got an excuse list as long as your arm to contend with. 

The manager, the owner, it's in Horwich, the traffic is shit, the trains aren't on, the pints are shit, we've got red seats, they don't have butter in the hotdogs... 

Fair play to Norwich I say. Gone about things the right way from managing the club to generating decent support to playing good football

We can’t always hide behind being so close to so many clubs but it is a big factor that can’t be denied. What we haven’t done well is make a trip to the match a great experience

17 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm just pleased that someone from Norwich has been able to come on and show us how we all know fuck all about the football culture in the town we've all lived in for the majority of our lives.

Maybe we could get an opposition fan every week to show where we're going wrong in different aspects of our lives?

We've got Millwall at home next. Perhaps they could sort out the decline of retail in the town centre?

They could demolish what’s left of the town centre, so we can start afresh