Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Norwich City at home

Kane57

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

I'm just pleased that someone from Norwich has been able to come on and show us how we all know fuck all about the football culture in the town we've all lived in for the majority of our lives.

I think if you untwisted your knickers and reread my posts then none of them are really about Bolton attendances, I was talking only about why Norwich attendances are strong. 

Perhaps rather than get offended about things I haven't said you could take a bit of hope in the fact that if Norwich can go from 14,000 to 25,000 whilst stuck mostly in the Championship just by making a real effort to reengage with their local community then that could someday happen to Bolton too once you've achieved a bit of stability in the boardroom which I'm sure will happen at some stage. Remember that we've had the same owners for 23 years. 

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Within one hour of my house I have

Fleetwood, Blackpool, Preston, Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Manchester United, Manchester City, Wigan Athletic, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Liverpool, Everton.

Accington Stanley?

19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Fleetwood, Blackpool, Preston, Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Manchester United, Manchester City, Wigan Athletic, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Liverpool, Everton.

And there's 7.174 million people in the North West of England. 

So I'm not sure why driving distance is really relevant..... why would somebody born in Bolton go and become a Blackpool or Fleetwood fan? 

I think if you had stable ownership and a man with a plan you could grow your attendances again.... and that's all I'm really saying. 

Or you can just be defeatist and resign yourself to never having any success again ever again because Man Utd, a club with a declining membership and lots of empty seats this season, are round the corner... pretty sure they were in the same place when you were getting 26,000 a week. 

But I had a butchers on here after the reverse fixture and some geezer was saying that Bolton are a bigger club than Norwich, so what is it? 

Whatever... just wanted to point out that we had Preston away and Bolton away within 4 days really, when a couple of people started saying our away support is poor.... I've not slagged off your support at any stage. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

And there's 7.174 million people in the North West of England. 

So I'm not sure why driving distance is really relevant..... why would somebody born in Bolton go and become a Blackpool or Fleetwood fan? 

I think if you had stable ownership and a man with a plan you could grow your attendances again.... and that's all I'm really saying. 

Or you can just be defeatist and resign yourself to never having any success again ever again because Man Utd, a club with a declining membership and lots of empty seats this season, are round the corner... pretty sure they were in the same place when you were getting 26,000 a week. 

But I had a butchers on here after the reverse fixture and some geezer was saying that Bolton are a bigger club than Norwich, so what is it? 

Whatever... just wanted to point out that we had Preston away and Bolton away within 4 days really, when a couple of people started saying our away support is poor.... I've not slagged off your support at any stage. 

You’ve not answered the really important question 

48 minutes ago, MickyD said:

It's a good job Bolton isn't within driving distance of a dozen or so other clubs all vying for the supporters.

Is it really any better for Midlands clubs? 

Villa, Birmingham, Wolves, West Brom, Coventry, Derby, Walsall, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Notts County, Burton Albion, Kettering, Kidderminster, arguably Stoke, Northampton, MK Dons too. 

If you are trying to say that a lot of Bolton kids grew up supporting Man Utd and Man City then I'm afraid its only Bolton adults to blame, my dad would genuinely have dosed in parrafin and set alight to a Man Utd top if I'd ever brought one home with me as a kid. And in hindsight I'll always be grateful for that.

I'm not saying geography isn't a factor in your attendance struggles, I'm just saying that it isn't the only significant factor in Norwich's good home attendances. Should take some heart in that instead of being so defeatist. 

36 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If you work out the average crowd of them teams it would come to about 300,000 Norwich and Ipswich would be about 45,000

18 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

I think if you untwisted your knickers and reread my posts then none of them are really about Bolton attendances, I was talking only about why Norwich attendances are strong. 

Perhaps rather than get offended about things I haven't said you could take a bit of hope in the fact that if Norwich can go from 14,000 to 25,000 whilst stuck mostly in the Championship just by making a real effort to reengage with their local community then that could someday happen to Bolton too once you've achieved a bit of stability in the boardroom which I'm sure will happen at some stage. Remember that we've had the same owners for 23 years. 

I think you're labouring under the misapprehension that any of us give a shite about Norwich City - until the next time that we play them. Which might be some considerable time. And I don't wear knickers I wear a g-string. The gussett of which is clean as I sit to wipe.

5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think you're labouring under the misapprehension that any of us give a shite about Norwich City - until the next time that we play them. Which might be some considerable time. And I don't wear knickers I wear a g-string. The gussett of which is clean as I sit to wipe.

At least I can support you for two games next season, and possibly for an entire season if you find yourself fighting for promotion with the scum. 

Cheers and bye. 

2 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

But the population of the North West is 7.1 million, and the population of Norfolk and Suffolk is 1.5 million. 

Fair play, I actually thought your turn out was decent yesterday and like someone said earlier the best team we've played this season even taking into account how shit were. If it had finished 9-0 I don't think we could have complained. But back to topic living in the shadow of two of the biggest clubs in the world doesn't help our cause and seeing young kids walking away from the ground yesterday after another diabolical performance you wonder how the hell we are going to keep them interested. Free admission wouldn't be enough IMO. 

1 hour ago, NorwichLad said:

I sympathise but it wasn't really about why Bolton attendances are so low (understandable, similar with Blackpool in recent years etc). 

I was just making the point that our strong attendances aren't just down to a heavy dose of luck geographically.... obviously that is a part of it, but that tells only a fraction of the story.... we were getting 16,000 when we were 3rd in the Premier League under Mike Walker with the likes of Ruel Fox, Chris Sutton, Jeremy Goss, Bryan Gunn and Mark Goss in the team. Sutton was the countries top scorer that year and we flogged him to Blackburn for a British record transfer fee.

We still had that countywide catchment area then.... we've genuinely and literally grown as a club over that time, and it wasn't an accident, that's all I'm saying. Just saying that there is nothing else to do in Norfolk and we're lucky not to be next to Man Utd isn't a sufficient explanation.

But I like Bolton and hope you sort yourselves out, fond memories of Jay Jay Okocha from when I was a kid! 

Interesting debate and insight, a good read. I've noticed in maybe the last 5 years that Norwich have overtaken Ipswich for crowds, and not just because of on field fortunes, so clearly there has to be something else behind it. Ipswich were always the ones with guaranteed 22k+ crowds and now they are similar to us for ticket sales if not attendances.

18 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

But the population of the North West is 7.1 million, and the population of Norfolk and Suffolk is 1.5 million. 

And the northwest have, on average ~320k weekly fans, compared to the ~45k in the Norfolk and suffolk areas.

Popoulation : 5x larger

Crowds : 7x larger

Your point ?

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Fair play to Norwich I say. Gone about things the right way from managing the club to generating decent support to playing good football

We can’t always hide behind being so close to so many clubs but it is a big factor that can’t be denied. What we haven’t done well is make a trip to the match a great experience

That's the best understatement I've read for a while! Put another way, we gave the job to parky then made him unsackable. Result...no adults never mind kids want to know.