Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Norwich City at home

Kane57

22 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Within one hour of my house I have

Fleetwood, Blackpool, Preston, Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Manchester United, Manchester City, Wigan Athletic, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Liverpool, Everton.

I think we can throw in Chorley and Atherton Colls, as you always get fans mumbling that they prefer non league for the 'real' football experience. My son's mate has a S/T at BW and Ath Coll. When matches clashed he used to go go Bolton, not any more (if you sit in East Lower he's the 1 with the black & white Colls hat on). I assume there must be the same scenario for people living near Chorley or radcliffe etc.

29 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

And the northwest have, on average ~320k weekly fans, compared to the ~45k in the Norfolk and suffolk areas.

Popoulation : 5x larger

Crowds : 7x larger

Your point ?

Considering you are comparing the data for one of the nine official UK regions with a fraction of another, I'd question your point really.

If you want to do it properly then 'East of England' has a population of almost exactly 6 million and contains the following teams from the football league:

Norwich, Ipswich, Peterborough, Southend, Cambridge, Colchester, Luton, Northampton, MK Dons, Stevenage, 

Pointless you'd still win the stupid little game you thought you'd drag me into.... but you'd find it difficult to calculate how many day trippers from Dublin and Kent and backpackers from Korea help to fill Old Trafford and Anfield every Saturday. 

I only signed up to point out that as somebody who usually does about 8 to 10 away days a year..... I wanted to point out that our away support was a bit suppressed because we had Preston away 4 days earlier and you'd have to be a special kind of mental (or at least retired) to fancy doing two 10 hour round coach trips in a few days.

Didn't really want a pathetic tit-for-tat comparing Bolton attendances with ours, mainly because I didn't even know your attendances were shit until yesterday.... but if you want one then I'd perhaps argue that its interesting that we managed to go from the Championship to League One whilst losing only 500 season ticket renewals out of 20,000.... and have had roughly the same number of season ticket holders in three different divisions.... 

.... No idea why Bolton fans are more fickle and you get 26,000 in the Premier Leauge and 14,000 in the Championship, sure there are good reasons, which I don't care about, but if what you are saying is correct and they abandon you for Old Trafford and Anfield when you aren't very good then I'd perhaps suggest that:

1). They aren't the type of 'fans' you want, I'd rather watch football with 15,000 real Norwich fans and have an empty row in front of me than have to sit next to a daytripper with a half and half scarf who films the free kicks and keeps giving you updates of the scores from the Arsenal-Chelsea game that you don't give a fuck about. 

2). If Bolton is full of Man Utd supporting kids then you aren't giving them enough abuse when they are walking down the street and their parents have let themselves down big time. Where were social services when their parents let them dress like tramps? 

And...

3). I simply don't believe that 12,000 of your fans did switch to those big clubs next door, I suspect they just decided to stay in the warm and watch footy on Sky or play their Xbox in which case they'll probably be back at some stage. 

All the best though, especially when you play Ipswich on 6th April. 

Edited by NorwichLad

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Fuck off now you fuckin bumpkin you’re boring the shit out of me.

go and have a pint or enjoy your Sunday in some other than pissing about writing fuckin essays on another teams football forum you sad fucker.

Didn't know keyboard tourettes was a thing. 

8 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

2). If Bolton is full of Man Utd supporting kids then you aren't giving them enough abuse when they are walking down the street and their parents have let themselves down big time. Where were social services when their parents let them dress like tramps? 

Spot on

31 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Considering you are comparing the data for one of the nine official UK regions with a fraction of another, I'd question your point really.

If you want to do it properly then 'East of England' has a population of almost exactly 6 million and contains the following teams from the football league:

Norwich, Ipswich, Peterborough, Southend, Cambridge, Colchester, Luton, Northampton, MK Dons, Stevenage, 

Pointless you'd still win the stupid little game you thought you'd drag me into.... but you'd find it difficult to calculate how many day trippers from Dublin and Kent and backpackers from Korea help to fill Old Trafford and Anfield every Saturday. 

I only signed up to point out that as somebody who usually does about 8 to 10 away days a year..... I wanted to point out that our away support was a bit suppressed because we had Preston away 4 days earlier and you'd have to be a special kind of mental (or at least retired) to fancy doing two 10 hour round coach trips in a few days.

Didn't really want a pathetic tit-for-tat comparing Bolton attendances with ours, mainly because I didn't even know your attendances were shit until yesterday.... but if you want one then I'd perhaps argue that its interesting that we managed to go from the Championship to League One whilst losing only 500 season ticket renewals out of 20,000.... and have had roughly the same number of season ticket holders in three different divisions.... 

.... No idea why Bolton fans are more fickle and you get 26,000 in the Premier Leauge and 14,000 in the Championship, sure there are good reasons, which I don't care about, but if what you are saying is correct and they abandon you for Old Trafford and Anfield when you aren't very good then I'd perhaps suggest that:

1). They aren't the type of 'fans' you want, I'd rather watch football with 15,000 real Norwich fans and have an empty row in front of me than have to sit next to a daytripper with a half and half scarf who films the free kicks and keeps giving you updates of the scores from the Arsenal-Chelsea game that you don't give a fuck about. 

And...

3). I simply don't believe that 12,000 of your fans did switch to those big clubs next door, I suspect they just decided to stay in the warm and watch footy on Sky or play their Xbox in which case they'll probably be back at some stage. 

All the best though, especially when you play Ipswich on 6th April. 

He had MK as touching on Midlands earlier (only a Southerner could do that in any manner of seriousness), and now wants to throw it in with the “East of England”. Now that’s an interesting collection.

To follow on from my earlier remark about the big eared boys on farms, if you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic and there's a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plough the family into the field, you blow up the tree and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who's also your brother

Edited by jules_darby

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Would you fuck Delia?   

On second thoughts you probably would, and if she was giving me a free slice of her cream cake after she has just rubbed it all over her wet spongey minge yes I probably would after 10 pints of black sheep.

Fuck off you boring irrevant let's all take a barge down the Norfolk broads cunt!

'kin 'ell, where do I start with that one. 

No idea what a "boring irrevant" is, is that how Northerner's pronounce 'elephant'? 

And they don't have barge's on the Norfolk Broads because its not a canal system, its completely lock free. 

I wouldn't fuck Delia because she's the wrong side of 50, she was a sort in her day though. Would you play with Ken Anderson's banjo string? 

Enjoy your Yorkshire beer mate. 

I always thought the North-South divide was an unfortunate consequence of globalisation, london-centric investment and policy-making, and a dose of nasty Thatcherism thrown in for good measure. 

On this evidence I'm questioning everything I previously held to be true and I'm now wondering whether you've just got far more thick people. 

Edited by NorwichLad

On 17/02/2019 at 02:24, NorwichLad said:

That's a bit of a lazy explanation for why Norwich get 25k+ every week in the Championship to be honest (in fact we even did in League One).

As if people from Norfolk couldn't find "much to do" in a county surrounded by 90 miles of coastline and containing 200 kilometres of navigable (and fishable) waterways.... perhaps they could visit a city centre which keeps getting named as one of the cities top 10 shopping destinations, or perhaps the chaps could chance their arm at chatting up the latest posh totty at the student union of one of Norwich's two universities, or go and have a butchers at one of the two cathedrals in the city, or check out the castle museum, or check out one of the counties two zoo's... or spend the day at one of the counties 11 National trust properties.... or go and have a nosey at the countries largest seal colony. Or go and watched a show at one of Norwich's three theatres..... or spend less than a tenner on a train to Cambridge, or an hour and a half on the train to London. 

In fact.... Great Yarmouth is full of Northerners whenever I go there (although personally I'd like us to give that bit of the county to Suffolk).

A pub for every day of the year and a church for every week of the year in Norwich. Imagine having a county with a population of 859,000 with nothing to do on a weekend. Unless you meant to say "they haven't got any rugby teams" which is definitely a valid point.... Northern teams do have to compete with rugby. 

If it was as simple as that then you'd be able to tell me why we were getting crowds of 14,000 in the 90's..... and why Ipswich, also the only club in a similar size county, get gates similar to yours? 

If you want the real reason its because we spent about 10 years selling season tickets to kids for a tenner, giving 1000 tickets to schools every home game, and ran constant kids for quid promotions in the late 90's and early 00's, reinventing ourselves as a community and family club. We were crap and skint (a bit like you right now, if I'm brutally honest), but we found a way to ensure that kids from Norwich bought Norwich shirts instead of Man Utd and Arsenal ones.... 

And now all those kids are adults and pay £500 a year for a season ticket, there's 20,000 season ticket holders. I'm in my thirties and like every other Norwich fan between the age of about 25 to 35 I spent my entire youth from the age of about 8 to 18 going to the footy for pretty much free..... think my season ticket was £12 until I was 15 and then £23 until I was 18..... so 50p a game and then £1 a game. 

Now its over £500 a season. 

That's why we've got gates of 25,000+ for the past 15 years.... because we made a serious effort to intentionally convert an entire generation of kids into Norwich fans. A bit like heroin dealers do when they give people their first hits for free.

But anyway, hope your club sorts itself out etc.... never nice to see a club struggling and having to worry about the future all the time, wouldn't even wish that on Ipswich (though a few years stuck in League One would be nice to see). 

Don't really understand why you didn't start Ameobi when he caused us all sorts of problems at Carrow Road earlier just a couple of months ago?!? Might have had a game on our hands if we had him to think about from the start.... weren't that one 3-2? Everything went through Ameobi for you in that game! 

How many times do you go to all those churches? 

And the zoos and the endless miles of man-made broads 

And trying to pull students at a uni bar? 

Maybe good for tourists but the locals?