Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gordon Banks

gonzo

He played a big hand in getting Chesterfield to the FA Youth Cup final.

Also holds the Central League record, conceding 122 goals in the season which included his 18th birthday, but Chesterfield Reserves were far below the standard of the others, which included reserve teams of the majority of First Division teams, plus such Second Division clubs' reserve teams as Leeds, Stoke, Blackburn and Liverpool. It was also the season of Bolton's first CL title win.

• Members

RIP to a true legend. No one will ever forget that save and Bobby Moore's "Fuckin' ell, catch em will ya Banksy. Don't give away any unnecessary corners!" comment immediately after it.

I think I heard that's four of our WC winners gone now?

Never to be forgotten.

I appreciate more as I have got older; I would love to know how it compares scientifically- the speed, trajectory, distance etc- I've seen (and made :thumbsup:) many a great save, but to get the ball over the bar from such a position- the alertness and strength to go up rather than away was spectacular.

The personal message he gave to the journalists son was beautiful; I'm tempted to include part of it in an poster for my lad

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2019/news/former-daily-features-writer-wins-national-attention-for-gordon-banks-tribute/