Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

QPR away

radcliffe white

At this stage they should just play a bunch of the U23 and let them have a run out, surely can't do worse than the senior squad. Given Connells performance, i wonder if we have anymore hidden gems the current management are too rubbish to spot.  

8 hours ago, leadfrog1 said:

At this stage they should just play a bunch of the U23 and let them have a run out, surely can't do worse than the senior squad. Given Connells performance, i wonder if we have anymore hidden gems the current management are too rubbish to spot.  

We need to stop perpetuating this fantasy for Connell's sake if nothing else. He hasn't given any world beating performances and he is a young lad with what looks to be a decent touch and a bit of movement about him but he is even more lightweight than Clough was at his age and in the 5 appearances (not starts) he's made in the first team he's been injured once.

It will be brilliant if he comes through and we can build a team around him and he is with us for the rest of his career but he is miles off that yet and isn't ready to shoulder half that responsibility, a few bad games next season and the boo boys will be all over him and he'll be out the door.

I know they keep saying Connor Hall isn't ready/up to it, but he seriously can't be any worse than how Donaldson has performed.

I'd be accepting relegation right now and putting at least 5 U-23's in the first eleven to give them experience but with no pressure of getting a result.

22 minutes ago, Traf said:

I know they keep saying Connor Hall isn't ready/up to it, but he seriously can't be any worse than how Donaldson has performed.

I'd be accepting relegation right now and putting at least 5 U-23's in the first eleven to give them experience but with no pressure of getting a result.

Absolutely agree. If being self sufficient is the future then we start now. 

I'd include Vela in that - as a proper graduate who has made a success of his time here (generally speaking) then he could be the leader of that pack. 

I don't think they'd get any stick from the fans if they go beat every week either.

The current team lose most games and don't really get much abuse.

Might as well start integrating them into the squad (assuming, of course, we still have a fixture list to complete) and give them some familiar faces (David Lee etc) on the bench as coaches.

If we can't afford to sack parky, just put him on gardening leave and pay his contract up on a month to month basis.

I was really only talking about Connell and the bit the lad had put saying "Given Connells performance".

In principle having the younger players in and around the first team is definitely the right idea but as insane as it sounds (and is) I'm still holding out hope of a 6 match unbeaten streak that leaves us safe and with nothing to play for in the last 2 games of the season.

If we go down then it becomes more about expectations, do we put 5 u-23s in the first team and let them gain experience but maybe meaning a longer stay in L1 or do we get some tried and tested journeymen in to push for an immediate return? Obvs we might get an immediate return with the youngsters but it's probably less likely.

56 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Absolutely agree. If being self sufficient is the future then we start now. 

I'd include Vela in that - as a proper graduate who has made a success of his time here (generally speaking) then he could be the leader of that pack. 

Vela is out of contract at the end of the season 

3 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I was really only talking about Connell and the bit the lad had put saying "Given Connells performance".

In principle having the younger players in and around the first team is definitely the right idea but as insane as it sounds (and is) I'm still holding out hope of a 6 match unbeaten streak that leaves us safe and with nothing to play for in the last 2 games of the season.

If we go down then it becomes more about expectations, do we put 5 u-23s in the first team and let them gain experience but maybe meaning a longer stay in L1 or do we get some tried and tested journeymen in to push for an immediate return? Obvs we might get an immediate return with the youngsters but it's probably less likely.

The more youngsters coming through, provided they're of sufficient quality, the less money we have to spend on players in L1 (even free agents don't come that cheap for a club with basically no money), there's no reason that we can't have both "journeymen" and youngsters coming through, even if it's just to make up the numbers (which i don't think it would be). Most of the U23s are now 21/22, they're either good enough now or never will be.

6 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

We need to stop perpetuating this fantasy for Connell's sake if nothing else. He hasn't given any world beating performances and he is a young lad with what looks to be a decent touch and a bit of movement about him but he is even more lightweight than Clough was at his age and in the 5 appearances (not starts) he's made in the first team he's been injured once.

It will be brilliant if he comes through and we can build a team around him and he is with us for the rest of his career but he is miles off that yet and isn't ready to shoulder half that responsibility, a few bad games next season and the boo boys will be all over him and he'll be out the door.

Connell looks a better player than anything else we have at the moment but this manager wouldn't be the best person to bring in any younger players, he's terrible. If we replace him between now and the end of the season then I think we might see a few more plus ozzy given a bit of game time. Plus Ernest I'm not sure if you were at Wigan on Saturday but if you were surely you can't possibly believe we are going to put any run together with that shambles? 

Aye I was there and there were enough positives on the field for me to think we could have a right good go at it and climb our way to safety.

Actually the last bit isn't true, think the highlight of the day for me was watching someone standing supping his pint in the stand while he was casually talking to a steward and then also Derren Browning a copper into thinking it was ok as well - was the most skilful thing I saw all day.

9 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Agree with that; he is skilful with lots of confidence but don't think he is ready to make such an influence like Jason McAteer did

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, embankment said:

Joey Holts bitter ; when looked after is an brilliant brew. The White Lion (westhoughton) and The Old Monkey ( Manchester) Both good examples.

Bang on. When I worked in Manchester, visited the old monkey from time to time. Plenty of throughput, and quality.

Always busy.