Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton,Tuesday V Sheffield Wednesday

miamiwhite

10 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Makes you appreciate what a superb job madine did, megennis is a so called big lad but his hold up play is wank 

He never goes for the ball

• Site Supporter

Wednesday we’re much better than us from the moment they went 1 up. Better players, kept the ball down rather than hoofing it into the wind. The big fella marking Magennis was class but Bannan ran the show.

Ameobi was useless, hardly put a foot right, not the only one to be fair. I could have cried when Donaldson & Buckley came on, hardly going to change the game. That said, it was worth turning up to witness Donaldsons overhead kick attempt

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, darrener said:

Magennis is utter shite, Connor Hall should be given a chance till the end of the season he simply can't be has bad as Magennis and Donaldson plus no ozzy on the bench again, fuck off parkinson!!!! 

magennis is poor, granted. i dont think he won more than 2 of 20 headers all night.

but connor hall really isnt the answer. fucked if i know what is.

3 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

magennis is poor, granted. i dont think he won more than 2 of 20 headers all night.

but connor hall really isnt the answer. fucked if i know what is.

If we completely ignore the whole failed at Accrington / playing against cloggers in the reserves thing.

Over the past few months, on the rare occasions we haven’t been battered we have shown a willingness to play some form of football that goes beyond hoofing it upfront and trying to build from there.

As we are no longer reliant on target man to start every attack (as Megennis or Donaldson win fuck all and can’t hold off defenders) we would be no worse off having a poor youth who isn’t good enough lad upfront (ala Connor Hall)

Therefore. Get him in and play him upfront.

we won’t be worse off cause the current crop contribute fuck all.

And he may bring something else to the party. Even if it’s a positive vibe from the fans. Because bringing on Donaldson drags the whole crowd into depression which I am convinced rubs off on the players 

Building on the above point.

if we started with the following team against Wigan the sheer positivity generated from the fans of something different and attacking would far outweigh the risk of getting dicked (which more often than not happens with the default team he picks)

matthews

olkowski wheater beevers taylor

connell Williams Connolly 

oztumer Pritchard 

hall

• The topic was unpinned

Compare Fletcher with Magennis last night.

In the first half Fletcher had a header saved from a free kick and scored from a lovely through ball from Bannan.

Our set piece deliveries are appalling and we have no one - with the possible exception of a 17 year old - who can play a through ball. A striker feeds off scraps. We're not even providing them.

Magennis wins enough in the air but Buckley, Ameobi and whoever else are too far away to do anything about it. A new or different striker isn't the answer. A new manager is. 

38 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

If we completely ignore the whole failed at Accrington / playing against cloggers in the reserves thing.

Over the past few months, on the rare occasions we haven’t been battered we have shown a willingness to play some form of football that goes beyond hoofing it upfront and trying to build from there.

As we are no longer reliant on target man to start every attack (as Megennis or Donaldson win fuck all and can’t hold off defenders) we would be no worse off having a poor youth who isn’t good enough lad upfront (ala Connor Hall)

Therefore. Get him in and play him upfront.

we won’t be worse off cause the current crop contribute fuck all.

And he may bring something else to the party. Even if it’s a positive vibe from the fans. Because bringing on Donaldson drags the whole crowd into depression which I am convinced rubs off on the players 

👍

34 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

Building on the above point.

if we started with the following team against Wigan the sheer positivity generated from the fans of something different and attacking would far outweigh the risk of getting dicked (which more often than not happens with the default team he picks)

matthews

olkowski wheater beevers taylor

connell Williams Connolly 

oztumer Pritchard 

hall

I'd go with that, what have we got to lose for God sake 

34 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Compare Fletcher with Magennis last night.

In the first half Fletcher had a header saved from a free kick and scored from a lovely through ball from Bannan.

Our set piece deliveries are appalling and we have no one - with the possible exception of a 17 year old - who can play a through ball. A striker feeds off scraps. We're not even providing them.

Magennis wins enough in the air but Buckley, Ameobi and whoever else are too far away to do anything about it. A new or different striker isn't the answer. A new manager is. 

Megennis won cock all last night. In the air or on the ground. 

1 hour ago, mickbrown said:

Megennis won cock all last night. In the air or on the ground. 

Magennis didn't win as many aerial balls as he usually does last night but his distribution off the floor was fine.  The striker isn't the issue unless we're happy to persist with these tactics in the hope he'll have a 6 month purple patch every 3 years like the last bloke. 

35 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Magennis didn't win as many aerial balls as he usually does last night but his distribution off the floor was fine.  The striker isn't the issue unless we're happy to persist with these tactics in the hope he'll have a 6 month purple patch every 3 years like the last bloke. 

Oh I know where the problem lies. 

Good managers get the best out of average players.