Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

People With The Same Name As You.

leigh white

There was a competitor on the Invictus Games that won a couple of golds who had been badly injured in Afghanistan. I think he lost a leg. I happen to share the same name.

A woman who was a complete stranger contacted me on Facebook, saying my story had been a huge inspiration to her, in the sense that if I could fight my way through what I'd been through and become an athlete, she can make it through all the stuff in her life, such as the breakdown of her marriage and the death of her parents. And all sorts of other personal stuff that she'd had to cope with over the last five years. Sounded lime she'd really been through it.

Quite difficult to put together a reply which was sympathetic, yet at the same time went along the lines of "sorry love, wrong person".

I always seem to get quite a few random friend requests after the Invictus Games.

When we were kids my mate's family home phone number was one digit different to the old Old Bill station on Le Mans Crescent.

The phone would go regularly and it'd be some old dear or old fart ringing to complain about kids sitting on their wall or similar - if no adults were about he or I would put on a gruff 'adult' copper voice to comiserate with them a while before telling them to mind their own business and piss off as we were too busy solving real crimes.