Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plantar fascitis

• Site Supporter

Got gel insoles and heels. Bare feet is agony frankly, but so are boots after a while. 

Recently had some new carpet fitted (thanks Radcliffe!) but can't stand on the landing all day.

Need to do more stretching for sure, it's moving into the Achilles tendon a bit and the calf muscle.

Walking like Juncker at times.

• Moderators

Had it for something like 18-24 months

Went to 3 different physios in that time as it wouldn't shift

The main exercise they suggested was standing on a stair on just your toes and slowly lifting then dipping your entire body weight, if that makes sense, but it never really seemed to work for me

In the end it just sort of cleared itself up and disappeared

I had it a couple of years ago. Shocking pain. The exercise Zico recommends was given to me too, also a frozen water bottle rolled under the foot for 5 minutes at a time. Picking car keys up with your feet was another one (works the tendons apparently).

It went after about 5-6 weeks which made me feel lucky. I had a clubmate who had it well over a year. Good luck!

• Site Supporter

I’ve got over it about 6 months ago. Couldn’t run for 12 months . I use some inserts from Groupon, Pro 11, that gives great support and along with the stretching it’ll go in time. Stretch your feet/achilles whenever you can, watching tv, sat at a desk etc. Absolute agony at its worst - I stupidly risked walking up to Helvellyn but had to turn back & fucking hopped it down to Ullswater, took about 4 hours.

• Members

Calcification of the heel stopped my 40 odd year footy career. They detached the achilles tendon and ground off roughly the volume of a golf ball! I was in a moon boot for 6 months and told if I ever played football again I probably wouldn't be able to walk once I passed 60.They didn't mention walking football :roll:

Wish it had only been plantar fasciitis. The fucking doctor for the West Coast Eagles (Rod Moore) was giving me cortisone injections before I was finally diagnosed correctly - the numb fucker.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Had it for about 12 months. Tried orthotics and all sorts. Nothing helped

Went to Spain for a fortnight, wore nowt but flip flops and it just went. 

Not sure you can get a prescription for that mind. 

What were you drinking Mick- might try it!

I'll keep up with the excercises, thanks all.

Suffered from this and it took ages to shift although I did carry on training while I had it. The stretching did help and I used to roll it with a golf ball instead of a frozen can, went as far as getting a Strassburg sock and sleeping in it and also wore them things you sometimes see MMA fighters wearing with no toes in. Still wear insoles now, the ones you used to get from the musculo-skeletal department that's at Bolton One were the PRO II WELLBEING and you can get them from Amazon etc. 

EDIT - forgot to mention I also tried taping so I could keep running, not convinced that helped much although I know other people who swear by it

Edited by ErnestTurnip

• Site Supporter

Wife has inserts for other reason, the company (podiatrist) that do work for NHS have moved to a cheaper material for their inserts and she says they're not lasting as well.

Probably going to try a private one, in the interests of alacrity, in case I would benefit from something custom made.

Might be worth trying the docs first - when I had it I got sent to Lever Chambers and they did a foot impression and actually made some sort of custom ones but I'm not sure they still do this as when I went more recently they gave me off the shelf ones with some heel wedges that change the angle your foot goes down.