Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plantar fascitis

• Site Supporter

Tobutt's are really good, but i don't know if they will be doing it atm, you can only ask them and see what they say, I'm fair certain it can be done socially distanced...

Mine's seemed to have faded away but last time I ran was for the ice cream van.. More for walking now.

• Members
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Plantar fasciitis 

Got it 5 years ago after walking round Rome with rubbish shoes on. Has come back intermittently ever since, usually linked to when I ramp up the running 

I need to warm up and down a lot more than I do, hard finding the time when I’m already squeezing a run in. Don’t think a new pair of trainers have helped, need to get my hair done again and she’ll out for the custom insoles to protect the arch of my foot 

Physio will help but god knows when they are going to be open 

It’s driving me more and more towards cycling as that doesn’t give me any issues 

You can buy cushion insoles to help, there’s even socks you can get now, just had a quick look and there’s some on amazon.

Swimming and cycling are the best exercises for it. 

If you are insistent on running avoid road running and try to stick to softer ground. What I would also suggest is before you exercise, apply heat or cold to the base of you feet, the shower head will suffice, everyone is different and heat might be better than cold , it’s trial and error but one will work. Then a thorough warm up and stretches, especially the calf muscles and Achilles.

Its a self limiting condition so it will repair itself in time

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

It’s back, again 

Assuming it’s related to running again, as I have ramped up in recent weeks / months 

Need to get some custom insoles for my running trainers to help support the arch of my foot when running 

What's the running place called that does the gait analysis? 

If you’re struggling to get custom made insoles atm, try Groupon website.

Pro 11 are really good and are half RRP on Groupon. 

I posted on page 1 of this thread and am frightened to death of it returning.

Swanny posted some great stretches on that first page too.

Hope you nip it early pal, it’s agony.

• Site Supporter

Great service on this from my gp.

Referred to podiatry, which as it happens runs a session in the same surgery.

Examined, given exercises and also send into Bolton one for bespoke insoles to be made. This was free and you can also go straight back for up to six months (iirc) if they're not quite right.

Only needed the one visit and it gradually disappeared.

Just sharing this because it happened and you can make your own mind up about it.

The second time I went through this I ended up at Bolton One and got given insoles, they weren't bespoke they were ones you can get off Amazon and then they glued some wedges on them to alter the angle they sit at.

Eventually got told that if I wanted bespoke ones they would end up being done privately although I'd had some done by the NHS previously. Few days after my last appointment I had a Facebook notification that the doctor (as an individual) was looking to add me as a friend and then subsequent to that they wanted me to like/add their private practise which did gait analysis/bespoke insoles.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Just sharing this because it happened and you can make your own mind up about it.

The second time I went through this I ended up at Bolton One and got given insoles, they weren't bespoke they were ones you can get off Amazon and then they glued some wedges on them to alter the angle they sit at.

Eventually got told that if I wanted bespoke ones they would end up being done privately although I'd had some done by the NHS previously. Few days after my last appointment I had a Facebook notification that the doctor (as an individual) was looking to add me as a friend and then subsequent to that they wanted me to like/add their private practise which did gait analysis/bespoke insoles.

They glued bits onto mine, but we're nevertheless done to fit my feet. Seemed a bit heath Robinson, but worked.

To be honest, anything more and I reckon it would be unreasonable to expect such in depth treatment free on the NHS.

The first time I had it done I went to that place opposite the library and had moulds done and custom insoles made which were far hardier than the ones I got issued at Bolton One.

Felt a bit like I was being forced into being a private patient by the individual doctor the second time round which was even worse because I once removed knew her.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

The first time I had it done I went to that place opposite the library and had moulds done and custom insoles made which were far hardier than the ones I got issued at Bolton One.

Felt a bit like I was being forced into being a private patient by the individual doctor the second time round which was even worse because I once removed knew her.

How long did yours last?

Had mine for a while now, and wear them everyday, working in them too. Some of the fabric coating on top is rubbing a bit thin, but other than that, they seem fine.

Missus had some done for a different issue; one lot were great but wore out eventually, next not disintegrated very quickly! Change of manufacturer/supplier apparently!

Think steejay mentioned them, I was given the Pro II Wellbeing at Bolton One and the 3/4 length ones.of them are what I buy from amazon. I have a pair for in my safety shoes/boots and some for in my normal trainers.

I used to put some in my walking boots as well but I've stopped doing that recently.

Just checked and it looks like I replace them about every 6 months. Not sure how much a psychological thing it's become and also not sure if it stops me doing the proper stretching I should be doing.

Mine is not plantar fascia related these days, it's more something like post tib tendonitis which would be helped a great deal by sorting flexibility in my hamstrings and glutes and upwards.

Here’s my take on things. As mentioned a lot earlier in this thread I used to sell steroid injections to GP’s and orthopaedic and rheumatology consultants

I’ve got ongoing problems with osteoarthritis in my big toes. Had 3 monthly injections from the physio at the the local surgery and orthotics in my shoes. Fine initially but wore off pretty quick.

Got a referral to the Orthopaedic consultant at the hospital. She dismissed my previous treatment basically referring to them as amateurs. Pulled me in last December for an injection in the operating theatre. Fucking stinking bastard bitch felt like she was was hammering a fucking nail info my toe with a hammer. Utter fucking agony. 

6 months down the line. Not a hint of pain. Nothing. Not a jot. Totally pain free 

Get a steroid injection from an orthopaedic consultant and orthotics from your podiatrist if you can. Oldham service works really well here. Don’t know what it’s it’s like where you are. 

PM me if you want to know more details of what I went through 

I’ve always been surprised we don’t all suffer massively from this. When you think of all your weight pounding down on such a small area of your foot/heel. Add in running where the force down must be double or treble.

My Achilles both sore as fuck again each morning but tending to be ok after an hour or so. On top of a knee injury. 

10 days now without running. It’s killing me. Can imagine you have been climbing the walls since this thread began. Good luck!!

2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Im struggling with my calf right now

And my knees

Got a PT session down the park Wednesday, it'll either get me back on track, or break me

Had the foam roller out on my calves just now. Fuck me that’s an unpleasant feeling. Meant to be good. Not sure myself. 

• 7 months later...
  • Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Just returned, out of nowhere 

Shite.

Have you been doing a lot of walking?

Maybe insoles need replacing?

Those wonderful guys at msk working in partnership with the nhs, were very helpful and sorted me out. One appointment, new insert made there and then, and off I went. Took a few weeks to get right, but been fine since.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Shite.

Have you been doing a lot of walking?

Maybe insoles need replacing?

Those wonderful guys at msk working in partnership with the nhs, were very helpful and sorted me out. One appointment, new insert made there and then, and off I went. Took a few weeks to get right, but been fine since.

Thanks, yes, I walk 2 hours/day, but have done since last March, so why now?

Good point about the insoles

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Thanks, yes, I walk 2 hours/day, but have done since last March, so why now?

Good point about the insoles

I think that could actually be the issue. Mine came out of nowhere too- I had been  doing my work though, with a lot of weeding on the hands and knees, inadvertently stretching the feet. 

I mentioned what I did, and the chap said it could simply have been a bit too much stress on the area. 

I wouldn't waste time again though: a phone call with your doc, should see a referral to the people fairly quickly-get it sorted soon as.

• Members
51 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It’s a cunt that eh. One of the worst pains I’ve had. @Rudymight be able to shed some light on how best to treat it rehabilitate?

@boltondiver I’d love to say there’s a magic formula but there isn’t, it’s just inflamed.

Rest it

Ice apply ice for 20-30 mins every 3 hours 

Compression wrap a bandage tight around it 

Elevate it up 

Comfy insoles are essential even if you don’t have it. You get what you pay for, buy some for a few quid and exercise on hard surfaces you will suffer spend £20-£30 and you’ll feel the difference