Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plantar fascitis

I started to get plantar fasciitis  in both feet a while back, I went to see a podiatrist for another problem and I had some custom made orthotics made, cost me £140.00 for them, but they last years and they've sorted my fasciitis in no time.

On 22/01/2021 at 15:14, Rudy said:

@boltondiver I’d love to say there’s a magic formula but there isn’t, it’s just inflamed.

Rest it

Ice apply ice for 20-30 mins every 3 hours 

Compression wrap a bandage tight around it 

Elevate it up 

Comfy insoles are essential even if you don’t have it. You get what you pay for, buy some for a few quid and exercise on hard surfaces you will suffer spend £20-£30 and you’ll feel the difference  

Would you suggest sleeping with your calves compressed - in compression socks? Or no benefit? I've been icing my calves like crazy since Friday - but struggling still.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Would you suggest sleeping with your calves compressed - in compression socks? Or no benefit? I've been icing my calves like crazy since Friday - but struggling still.

Any family history of deep vein thrombosis or blood clots in general?

• Members
1 minute ago, Smiley said:

What about foam rolling/massage gun on a pulled/strained muscle? 

Definitely not on a strained or pulled muscle. Rest and compression, give them chance to repair the microscopic tears. Massage it or stretching it out will increase the tears. 

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Definitely not on a strained or pulled muscle. Rest and compression, give them chance to repair the microscopic tears. Massage it or stretching it out will increase the tears. 

I thought that!! But not after I’d hammered both the roller and gun on Saturday! DOH!

• Members
32 minutes ago, Smiley said:

I thought that!! But not after I’d hammered both the roller and gun on Saturday! DOH!

Think of it this way your muscles are woven together like cotton, every time you exercise you create these microscopic tears, the less you warm up the bigger the tear, creating pulls, strains and tears.

Those cotton fibres will only go back together with rest and light compression, stretching them or putting movement and strain on them will make the tears bigger. 

If a athlete is having reoccurring strains or pulls he hasn’t fully recovered and has done something wrong in his rehab. 

On 26/01/2021 at 18:11, Rudy said:

Think of it this way your muscles are woven together like cotton, every time you exercise you create these microscopic tears, the less you warm up the bigger the tear, creating pulls, strains and tears.

Those cotton fibres will only go back together with rest and light compression, stretching them or putting movement and strain on them will make the tears bigger. 

If a athlete is having reoccurring strains or pulls he hasn’t fully recovered and has done something wrong in his rehab. 

Ran a marathon today and my left “injured” calf was ok. Worried me about running so far so soon. However, at 23 miles, I pulled/tore my right calf. Fuck me it hurt. Wasn’t going to bail out so close to the finish, so carried on. Imagine more damage than necessary. Clearly got calf issues. 

Need to get to the root of this. Definitely had issues on and off with both at times late last year. 

Edited by Smiley

• Members
3 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Ran a marathon today and my left “injured” calf was ok. Worried me about running so far so soon. However, at 23 miles, I pulled/tore my right calf. Fuck me it hurt. Wasn’t going to bail out so close to the finish, so carried on. Imagine more damage than necessary. Clearly got calf issues. 

Need to get to the root of this. Definitely had issues on and off with both at times late last year. 

A bad tear without proper rehab can cause reoccurring problems with.

Rest and start back slow 

• 3 months later...