Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bloody Sunday

Spider

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

OK mate, we will disagree then. I think you will find that a Conservative government will change the law and either time limit or eradicate retrospective investigations into military operations completely.

They're starting something. Not sure the nature of it.

Like anything, such is the tension still in society, it's difficult to ensure that folk are treated properly under the law. Even moreso with time.

The government has said full support will be given to the man charged, and all his legal fees will be paid for.

That perhaps suggests the evidence isn't absolutely crystal clear.

I do believe that soldiers must try to stay within the rules of engagement etc, and where GENUINE lawbreaking has happened, then do something about it.

That doesn't mean hanging folk out to dry without giving proper consideration to circumstances. That's the annoying bit- lawyers with absolutely no experience of the field of conflict, building such cases.

Upholding law, or money grabbing leaches.

If you feel the need to post on this thread at least have sense to have read the summary of the Saville report

Also, Douglas Murray who no one would say is left wing regards soldier F as someone who is a liar and managed

to shoot 4 people dead and wound 5 others in under 10 minutes. 

And you might also need to read up with the Ballymurphy 11 where the Paras also shot dead 11  over 3 days and even their

commanding officer now admits that none of the dead were PIRA. Even to this day I am incensed that a priest was shot dead

as he was giving the last rights to a dying man.

These murders convinced many people to join the PIRA who then went on to unleash a cowardly and vicious campaign

of bombing and murder.

Any political violence, in my opinion, is unacceptable,

I condemn all the murderers: Republican, Loyalist and State.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you feel the need to post on this thread at least have sense to have read the summary of the Saville report

Also, Douglas Murray who no one would say is left wing regards soldier F as someone who is a liar and managed

to shoot 4 people dead and wound 5 others in under 10 minutes. 

And you might also need to read up with the Ballymurphy 11 where the Paras also shot dead 11  over 3 days and even their

commanding officer now admits that none of the dead were PIRA. Even to this day I am incensed that a priest was shot dead

as he was giving the last rights to a dying man.

These murders convinced many people to join the PIRA who then went on to unleash a cowardly and vicious campaign

of bombing and murder.

Any political violence, in my opinion, is unacceptable,

I condemn all the murderers: Republican, Loyalist and State.

What was the priests name that was shot dead? 

Father Hugh Mullan,

If you are interested read about the Ballymurphy Massacre.

The only difference to Bloody Sunday was the cameras weren't there. Also if you have the time you can read about the original Bloody Sunday, Croke Park 1920.

just so you know I am equally proud of my English, Gerrard, grandfather who went to France as part of the BEF in the 1st WW and my Irish grandfather who fought 

at Gallipoli and was severely wounded at the Somme and Arras, and my Irish father and Uncle who fought in WW2.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Father Hugh Mullan,

The only difference to Bloody Sunday was the cameras weren't there. Also if you have the time you can read about the original Bloody Sunday, Croke Park 1920.

just so you know I am equally proud of my English, Gerrard, grandfather who went to France as part of the BEF in the 1st WW and my Irish grandfather who fought 

at Gallipoli and was severely wounded at the Somme and Arras, and my Irish father and Uncle who fought in WW2.

The priest was shot in the back according to reports

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, Tony said:

Father Hugh Mullan,

I have a link to Croke Park in that my great grandfather was there and in the Tipperary team photo taken before the match so have always known about that event and heard retold accounts of the day  and those times in general from his daughter who was my Grandmother. 

I also have a slightly less direct link to Derry from my mothers side who was there and have heard countless tales around that over the years too from people who saw it and other less publicised incidents in the era 

bad times I hope are gone forever 

19 hours ago, Tony said:

Father Hugh Mullan,

First time i've heard about that. Grim.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, leigh white said:

Been both side's of the Irish border and always had a great welcome and meeting proper nice people. A lot of folk on the Mainland are put off with the past. Get an hop over and see what it's really like.

Always fancied visiting the Republic. A former work colleague went and said it was excellent. Would do a bit of fishing too.

32 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Always fancied visiting the Republic. A former work colleague went and said it was excellent. Would do a bit of fishing too.

The folks have got a place in Donegal, they’ve had it for 25 years and I still haven’t been over. I’ve said I’m going to go this year and visit the places I served in on the way over to them. The kids aren’t going to be happy with me driving about pointing out old army Barracks when they’re usually in water parks in Tenerife. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, royal white said:

The folks have got a place in Donegal, they’ve had it for 25 years and I still haven’t been over. I’ve said I’m going to go this year and visit the places I served in on the way over to them. The kids aren’t going to be happy with me driving about pointing out old army Barracks when they’re usually in water parks in Tenerife. 

Mixed emotions I would imagine doing that. Can you let us know your impressions of the place.

Would definitely consider it one day.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Mixed emotions I would imagine doing that. Can you let us know your impressions of the place.

Would definitely consider it one day.

Yes will do. I visited the republic a few times as a nipper there’s some stunning parts as there are in the north.

looking on google maps (because I’m a loser) the majority of the bases have gone now as part of the GFA. It Will still be good to have a drive through, though I doubt I will be stopping for a pint in some of the towns :) 

• Site Supporter

Stayed in Bundorran on the north west coast in the mid 90s. It's in that bit of the Republic which runs further north than Northern Ireland and,  we learned,  that everyone who was anyone in the IRA had holiday homes there.  proper dislike of anything English...

Including our GB registered coach which ended up with very few windows.

Been many times to both NI and RoI and everywhere else was great. I particularly enjoy Cork.

Edited by MickyD
fat finger corrections