Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bloody Sunday

Spider

Did a 6 day driving holiday in ROI 4/5 years ago. Ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. Stopped the night in Enfield then did Galway, Connamara coast, Limerick, Ring of Kerry, Bantry, Waterford. Truly stunning on the West Coast but we got lucky with temperatures in the 30’s. Been to Galway with work when a gale was blowing off the sea - made it the most miserable place on earth

Spent a lot of time with work in NI as well. Belfast is one of my favourite cities. I always found it friendlier than the south - apart from the time that I walked into a Republican bar and the time that I got lost and ended up in Sandy Row. Oops!!!

Dublin is fucking awful these days. Temple Bar is a shithole, O'Connell Street and the surrounding area is full of moody Albanians, and like Micky says the prices are just stupid. Mrs Manc's uncles and aunties live in Rathfarnem and Finglas so tend to stay around those areas if I'm in Dublin

Don.t mind Cork and Cobh, and Kinsale is superb for a long weekend away. Galway is my favourite in the south though by a mile 

Belfast trumps the lot 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I'm off to Galway on a stag do in September. Heard it's better than Dublin. Anyone been?

Not been to Galway but been to many of the smaller Irish towns; Limerick, Sligo, Kinsale and found them to be a lot less commercial and less greedy for the tourist dollar/yen/pound and all are extremely welcoming. I'd see no reason for Galway to be any different.

Edited by MickyD
Premature click of post button.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Much smaller than Dublin and much nicer. There’s a fantastic chippy on the hill heading down to the Spanish Arch which does amazing Skate Wings and chips

Skate - yuk

Had it once at Dave Dove's chippy in Horley. A long time ago and the texture in the mouth of mush has never gone.

55 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Skate - yuk

Had it once at Dave Dove's chippy in Horley. A long time ago and the texture in the mouth of mush has never gone.

Only ever tried it once and that was in Galway - it was really meaty and you almost ate it off the bone

Guessing that the way it’s cooked has a big effect??

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Only ever tried it once and that was in Galway - it was really meaty and you almost ate it off the bone

Guessing that the way it’s cooked has a big effect??

Would guess so. It came off the bone ok, but was sloppy as if over cooked.

I assume the chips are ace though.

Wrong turning apparently and when the Sinn Fein Marshalls tried to direct them away, they must have panicked.

The way they reversed at speed drew attention to themselves and the rest as they say is history.

What they did to those 2 soldiers was grim and I won't print it on here.