Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bloody Sunday

Spider

8 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

very grim

did they just recognise them or something?

and did they just happen to be driving by? you'd have hoped they'd have know to avoid the area that day

Aye, purely playing devil's advocate here 

What were they even doing in that area,? 

Given it was a funeral on probably a no go area on the day let alone any day of the week 

What were they doing even in the vicinity? And what did they do to give themselves away?

52 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Aye, purely playing devil's advocate here 

What were they even doing in that area,? 

Given it was a funeral on probably a no go area on the day let alone any day of the week 

What were they doing even in the vicinity? And what did they do to give themselves away?

When I first started working in NI I read a whole heap of books on The Troubles. Soldier, Loyalist and Republican perspectives. There were a lot of the same stories appearing in the books albeit with a different slant. That day was a common theme and from what I gleaned they weren’t in the area by accident. Possibly took a wrong turn on the day to end up where they did but........

Possibly one of the most horrific things I’ve ever seen and certainly something that I will never watch again

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

That day was a common theme and from what I gleaned they weren’t in the area by accident. Possibly took a wrong turn on the day to end up where they did but........

So what were the reasons or suggestions given? Am guessing they went to have a look to see who turned up or something?

3 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

So what were the reasons or suggestions given? Am guessing they went to have a look to see who turned up or something?

I’m led to believe that they were both signallers. The driver was soon to be leaving and was showing his replacement around the area. It’s highly likely that the area where they was would have been out of bounds that day. So whether it was some pretty shit map reading or the driver saying “hey let’s have a look up here and watch the IRA funeral” it ultimately cost them there lives. 

Going off on one a bit here but there were some horrendous attacks over the years over there. One of the worst I read about,  and an area that I worked many years after was this. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmill_massacre

thankfuly the loyalist didn’t carry out their planned retaliation attack at a catholic school.

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

iirc there were some undercover units over there that had been operating since the '70's in various guises

This funeral was just after that bloke had launched an attack at an IRA funeral - just googled it - Michael Stone

The undercover units had been keeping watch. From what I remember reading it was a mix of what miami and royal white say. The Loyalist attacks at IRA funerals had brought out the worst on both sides and the undercover units were being "proactive" and whether it was a branch of the SAS being a bit too "nosey" or a bit of a fuck up I don't know

I started working in Belfast and Derry (btw I always call it Derry rather than Londonderry thanks to remembering the Grandstand teleprinter chugging the score out for Derry City in the 70's rather than any political affiliation) in 2003 when it was still very raw over there so I devoured books on the Troubles. Read all sides of the argument and that in a way is the problem. Whether it be that or any of the other things that happened over there, there's about 5 different views on what actually happened and why. This, Pat Finucane, Robert Nairac, etc.

I know people that served over there. I've managed people over there on both sides of the divide. I doubt that we'll ever get the true picture of what actually was going on

I turned into a bit of a geek about it all but at the end of the day came out of it knowing nothing tbh. Apart from the fact that the Northern Irish were some of the nicest people that I've ever met. 

7 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

iirc there were some undercover units over there that had been operating since the '70's in various guises

This funeral was just after that bloke had launched an attack at an IRA funeral - just googled it - Michael Stone

The undercover units had been keeping watch. From what I remember reading it was a mix of what miami and royal white say. The Loyalist attacks at IRA funerals had brought out the worst on both sides and the undercover units were being "proactive" and whether it was a branch of the SAS being a bit too "nosey" or a bit of a fuck up I don't know

I started working in Belfast and Derry (btw I always call it Derry rather than Londonderry thanks to remembering the Grandstand teleprinter chugging the score out for Derry City in the 70's rather than any political affiliation) in 2003 when it was still very raw over there so I devoured books on the Troubles. Read all sides of the argument and that in a way is the problem. Whether it be that or any of the other things that happened over there, there's about 5 different views on what actually happened and why. This, Pat Finucane, Robert Nairac, etc.

I know people that served over there. I've managed people over there on both sides of the divide. I doubt that we'll ever get the true picture of what actually was going on

I turned into a bit of a geek about it all but at the end of the day came out of it knowing nothing tbh. Apart from the fact that the Northern Irish were some of the nicest people that I've ever met. 

Robert Nairac, now there’s one who came across as an odd character. Some people believe he was working both sides and is still alive 

25 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

It's in that documentary. Michael Stone turned up at the funerals of the IRA members shot dead by the SAS in Gibraltar.

His escape was allegedly aided by the RUC I think. 

20 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

It's in that documentary. Michael Stone turned up at the funerals of the IRA members shot dead by the SAS in Gibraltar.

His escape was allegedly aided by the RUC I think. 

That trilogy of events was a knst the most horrific of The Troubles.

Stone didn’t escape though, he was caught and beaten by the IRA supporters/mourners at the side of the motorway next to the cemetery....he suffered a broken thigh bone which he struggles with to this day.

The RUC merely intervened there and rescued him from a near certain death.

One picture openly available on the net,is Gerry Adams cowering behind a child that day at Milltown Cemetery...

Wouldnt such a brave freedom fighter surely make sure the child is ok and not hide behind him,like the true utter shithouse he is ?

Adams like one of his certain “friends” purely puts himself before others and couldn’t give a fuck about the many.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

One picture openly available on the net,is Gerry Adams cowering behind a child that day at Milltown Cemetery...

Wouldnt such a brave freedom fighter surely make sure the child is ok and not hide behind him,like the true utter shithouse he is ?

Adams like one of his certain “friends” purely puts himself before others and couldn’t give a fuck about the many.

I'm not sure I see cowering. It could be any moment with a kid. I'm no IRA sympathiser but pictures painting a thousand words really depend on knowing the context.

Image result for Gerry Adams cowers behind a child

50 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I'm not sure I see cowering. It could be any moment with a kid. I'm no IRA sympathiser but pictures painting a thousand words really depend on knowing the context.

Image result for Gerry Adams cowers behind a child

Look at the pics prior to the incident Micky and please post them on here for comparison.......he was stood there bold as brass....that one you’ve shown he is clearly cowering...unless the kid is as tall as the Giant’s Cauesway.

• Site Supporter

I watched the doc that Jay Jay posted and it's a belter, real eye opener to be honest, I can remember seeing all the events on the news but can't remember them all being connected,

I'd agree with a guy in the doc that the soldiers had just gone for a drive with the more experienced soldier showing the new boy some of the roads, never thinking they would end up in that scenario.

As regards to the Gerry Adams photo, I don't think it indicates anything other than people ducking for cover to save their lives. I found it amazing how many people chased the gunman Stone whilst they were getting shot at and grenades thrown at them. 

I don't believe the RUC were involved in Stone's escape, just fellow Loyalists in that white van waiting on the M1.

Some very honest interviews in that documentary from both sides.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Look at the pics prior to the incident Micky and please post them on here for comparison.......he was stood there bold as brass....that one you’ve shown he is clearly cowering...unless the kid is as tall as the Giant’s Cauesway.

I was actually surprised at how small that was when I saw it up close, was a bit dissapointed to be honest

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I was actually surprised at how small that was when I saw it up close, was a bit dissapointed to be honest

It was a great walk down to Giant's Causeway but hell of a slog back up.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

If anybody wants a really good book to read on their summer hols, try The Dirty War.

All about The Troubles, utterly fascinating.

I'll give it a gander S, is it written on either sides perspective?