Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bloody Sunday

Spider

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Stakeknife is probably the best book of the lot the lot that I read. Compelling if very disturbing

Think there’s gonna be a filum about this guy. Or has it already been out??? The guy is still around,  must be looking over his shoulder all the time...

My mum was a Belfast girl. Fancied a lad who was from the 'other side' so often sneaked over to see him. Grandad got wind of it and got Ian Paisley round one night to bollock her. The stories she tells about what life was like in those days makes your hair curl.

Then my Dad, a Catholic squaddie, served over there, as a teenager. Again, the stories he tells when he was towing suspect vehicles out of volatile areas whilst being petrol bombed whilst at the same age my only concerns were if I could get my fingers wet upstairs in Ritzy.

I remember as a kid, probably eight or nine, going over to see family and having to keep my mouth shut on the bus because of my English accent.

Seems like a different world over there now, thankfully.

3 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I watched the doc that Jay Jay posted and it's a belter, real eye opener to be honest, I can remember seeing all the events on the news but can't remember them all being connected,

I'd agree with a guy in the doc that the soldiers had just gone for a drive with the more experienced soldier showing the new boy some of the roads, never thinking they would end up in that scenario.

As regards to the Gerry Adams photo, I don't think it indicates anything other than people ducking for cover to save their lives. I found it amazing how many people chased the gunman Stone whilst they were getting shot at and grenades thrown at them. 

I don't believe the RUC were involved in Stone's escape, just fellow Loyalists in that white van waiting on the M1.

Some very honest interviews in that documentary from both sides.

The Provos documentaries also great. Also on YouTube 

Interesting in these shows, it's clear the British Govt were dealing with paramilitaries since the 70s albeit probably through intermediaries. But then Corbyn does it...

Edited by jayjayoghani

• Members
1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Think there’s gonna be a filum about this guy. Or has it already been out??? The guy is still around,  must be looking over his shoulder all the time...

I know him personally. We had a close sporting connection for quite a while and a family connection of sorts.

Struggling to comprehend the way he has turned but I suppose being at the epicentre of a conflict like that does strange things to folk. Turning Scappaticci must have been an intense and draining effort and then his dalliance and subsequent setting up of home with the girl from the other side must have created the opportunity to be swayed by pillow talk.

I believe he may be living in the ROI now as he was granted citizenship. A recent bereavement may also have opened up an opportunity in Spain to attempt to remain out of sight and mind.

7 hours ago, deane koontz said:

Got taught nowt about The Troubles in school which looking back I find a bit odd.

Was thinking the same watching that video the other day.

Bar bits of stuff off my Dad and clips of blokes shouting in norn iron accents on the news id have grown up knowing fuck all about it. 

20 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Bar bits of stuff off my Dad and clips of blokes shouting in norn iron accents on the news id have grown up knowing fuck all about it. 

Alan Partridge and 'Come out Ye Black and Tans' was genius the other night! :)

25 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Aye, the same same really - minus your dad part. 

Might have found it a more appealing subject then the fucking Tudors.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, MickyD said:

I'm not sure I see cowering. It could be any moment with a kid. I'm no IRA sympathiser but pictures painting a thousand words really depend on knowing the context.

Image result for Gerry Adams cowers behind a child

That pic looks simply like Adams is eagerly going down for that erect cock in the bottom right corner.

• 1 month later...
  • Site Supporter

Just been chatting to a couple of old Paras in Harwood Morrisons who were collecting for charity. The pride as they told me they would be heading down to court for Soldier F. I was choking up. Had to wish them well and bugger off to my car. They'll not stop fighting.

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Just been chatting to a couple of old Paras in Harwood Morrisons who were collecting for charity. The pride as they told me they would be heading down to court for Soldier F. I was choking up. Had to wish them well and bugger off to my car. They'll not stop fighting.

Well said Micky.

Did they mention the huge march on Media City on May 18th ? I know so many going in support of Soldier F and rightly so.

Dont let certain clowns know on here, they prefer to back other side up on this, disgusting.