Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

F1 is back

MancWanderer

• Site Supporter

hamilton is best driver in the best car.

he can name his price.

only mercedes "stubborness" will stop him renewing.

would hamilton take on the challenge of a different car - im not so sure

so, somethings gotta give

20 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Ferrari will come again that’s for sure. I would love personally to see Red Bull really push on and become real Title challengers to merc. At the moment the gap is too big and it just diminishes my enjoyment and all the fun in back in the field. 

I’m enjoying watching Hamilton’s drives. Just superb. Watching an absolute master at work. Love Max. You never know what you might get and I hope he gives Hamilton a bloody nose in a few races just to remind him that there’s some serious talent coming through. Like he did some years ago. Although it’s a Mercedes shoe-in at the moment I’m loving the fight behind them. Force India, McLaren, Renault - for me it’s fascinating to see their scrap

And fwiw Bottas imo shows that it’s not all about having the best car. He’s no championship winner. Put Max in that car and it’s a different story. Similar possibly with Sainz. Not quite convinced about Le Clerc. Not sure he has the right temperament exciting though he is

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What an amazing end to the race. Never seen anything like that. Well done Lewis for keeping a cool head. 

Chuffed Lando got some good points, Sainz and Bottas were unlucky yet Hamilton so lucky.

Once again the entertainment came from the midfield and the end of the race.

• Site Supporter

Why is it lucky?

I reckon all those who's tyres failed at the end were unlucky!

Hamilton it could be argued illustrated his superiority by getting further on them than the others.

Frankly, pirelli have some work to do, no point supplying a product that can't do what its supposed to do on the fastest cars.

I think over time he's earned most of that luck. He earned his place in the best car by excelling in lesser ones. He gambled on Mercedes when they weren't the finished article. Today with pole he maybe wasn't as harsh on the tyres as Bottas which meant that he was just that closer to the line when they failed. He earned that position in turn by breaking the track record in qualifying.  Finally when the tyre did go he kept the car on the track and ahead of Verstappen. He is an exceptional talent.  

Not sure if Pirrelli are really at fault, They were all pushing the limits of what that tyre was quoted as good for. Though maybe once the analysis takes in all the safety car laps they'll have a better handle on how to play the race next week. Hope we get a finish halfway as exciting as that one. 

Edited by ProfessorWoland

• Site Supporter

I was thinking that because of the safety car laps the blow outs could have happened earlier but they all took their pit stop on the 2nd crash so tried to make them last the race. Mercedes can afford to manage their tires better if needed next week but McLaren might struggle to do the same.

Next week will be very interesting with the softer tyres. Bit of a procession up front, until the very end, with all the interest in midfield. Two stops next weekend will shake it up a bit and tactics will be crucial

Vettel? Not interested at all. If Le Clerc can get on the podium then so should he. Or at least be near

• Members
54 minutes ago, stevieb said:

I watched the last 15 laps yesterday. First time watching F1 since I was a kid. 

Is it like that every week? 

That was a special finish 

For every 5 class races unfortunately there’s a damp squib, middle sector is the exciting part lately. 
No one is beating Lewis, again. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, stevieb said:

I watched the last 15 laps yesterday. First time watching F1 since I was a kid. 

Is it like that every week? 

I gave up on it half way through. 

It was that shit

And i watch most weeks

Interesting starting grid for tomorrow. Could be lively on the opening laps with a definite two stopper. Could be very interesting tactically or an utter damp squib. Can’t see a winner outside Mercedes but 3rd down to 10th has potential to be a great race 

Brundle was a bit numb today with his “I don’t understand what’s going wrong with Vettel?” comments. Shit car, shit attitude, and Hulkenberg has probably pushed him further down the list of drivers that teams will chase for next year. 

Vettel is finished. He’s lost all heart. Mainly driven by other drivers being proven to now being much better than him. He’s regressed and lots have gone past him. Last year being pushed behind le clerc in terms of strategy just sent his head west and he’s never recovered. 

I hope I’m wrong but I think he causes a serious serious crash this year by being reckless. 

I also think that Hamilton got inside his head. Even when he had a (theoretically) better car Hamilton just wiped him

Although some folk think that Hamilton is a bit of an arse what he does better than anyone else is drive the whole Mercedes team to perfection. Moans like a spoilt fucker when things aren’t right but then goes and absolutely nails it. Vettel can’t do that. As mentioned way back in this thread he’s another Alonso. Great in the best car but can’t take the second (or third/fourth) best car to a win. 

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I also think that Hamilton got inside his head. Even when he had a (theoretically) better car Hamilton just wiped him

Although some folk think that Hamilton is a bit of an arse what he does better than anyone else is drive the whole Mercedes team to perfection. Moans like a spoilt fucker when things aren’t right but then goes and absolutely nails it. Vettel can’t do that. As mentioned way back in this thread he’s another Alonso. Great in the best car but can’t take the second (or third/fourth) best car to a win. 

You’re spot on

I find Hamilton irritating out of the car, but in it, he absolutely brings the best out in himself and those around him. Like all great sportsmen, he’s got tunnel vision about winning. Think Brian Clough, Rudolph, Ali, Brady. Nothing should stand in the way when it comes to building a dynasty of success.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, Spider said:

You’re spot on

I find Hamilton irritating out of the car, but in it, he absolutely brings the best out in himself and those around him. Like all great sportsmen, he’s got tunnel vision about winning. Think Brian Clough, Rudolph, Ali, Brady. Nothing should stand in the way when it comes to building a dynasty of success.

Except onions. 

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Enjoyed that. Well done Max. Superb drive.

”Conserve your tyres”

”I’m not driving like Grandma!!”

Brilliant response 

LeClerc once again showing Vettel that the car isn’t the issue

Took a gamble with that.

If the pit lads' concerns had come to fruition he might have been buggered.

However, the first set of hards that Mercedes took off were far less worn than they thought they would be, so perhaps the driver (Max) had a better feel for the state of them than the diagnostics.