Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Happy St Patrick's Day

Salford Trotter

31 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Been to Ireland loads of times. Never had any mither for being English

People find an excuse to suit their narrative. These days the Irish and the English live quite happily alongside each other in this country just the same the Scottish and Welsh do, this hatred stuff is all a big myth

Edited by Salford Trotter

• Members
5 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

That is not exclusive club Mounts, you only need to look across the old British Empire to see plenty of others who share that view. But to say that all the Irish dislike the British per se is taking it a little too far. 

Fair points. I have travelled extensively and would suggest that a fair proportion of this is envy related along the lines of why such a small dot on the globe has had such a massive influence on the worlds commerce, political systems and language. Often accompanied by a grudging admiration.

I have an Irish stepmother from Limerick. A kinder, nicer lady you would not meet. Lives in England, loves England and wants England to win every sporting contest Ireland can't. Very reminiscent of Brits I know who live in Spain and want Spain to win if England can't. Would never happen here in Oz. Most Brits I know down here do not want Australia to win at anything. It's the gloating yo see - fucking unbearable.

Getting back to the subject though - the plastic paddy thing is really tiresome. I would not like St. Georges Day to become such a blatant money making exercise. I'd be embarrassed.

• Members
44 minutes ago, fatolive said:

2 things with that

its Sinn Fein, they don’t represent Ireland or all Irish people 

they stand on that ticket of “brits out” , that’s their thing so not sure why there’s so  much surprise 

Not surprise. Revulsion.

It has become very clear during the Brexit process that Ireland relies very heavily on UK trade and is a net exporter to the UK.

Would the Republicans rather not trade with the filthy Brits as a matter of principle? Of course not. They'd want their craic and eat it.

13 hours ago, fatolive said:

So are most other Saints days too to be fair.

its the sheer amount of diaspora, particularly in America that has lead to what it is now over the years, along with the marketing from Guinness and the silly hats ( which I hate) 

those far from home will often celebrate home more than those still there, those who feel or felt persecuted and unable to celebrate what they are will do so even more so the whole combination of things has made it what it is. 

Incidently, it was Protestant unionist orange order types that started the parade traditions to celebrate it. 

It's just Americans desperately trying to claim legitimacy

https://mobile.twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1106947727613722625

just thought I would add this in for all those claiming their is no hatred. I add quickly that I love going to Ireland north and south but have experienced some not so nice situations in my visits. Same as north of the border. You always get some cretin with a chip on their shoulder about the English. 

But to say say it doesn’t exist is simply utter bollocks 

55 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

just thought I would add this in for all those claiming their is no hatred. I add quickly that I love going to Ireland north and south but have experienced some not so nice situations in my visits. Same as north of the border. You always get some cretin with a chip on their shoulder about the English. 

Of course you are going to have a small number of people who despise each other, much like this forum but i have not experienced any anti-British sentiment in any of my numerous trips to ROI though i have yet to visit NI

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

Of course you are going to have a small number of people who despise each other, much like this forum but i have not experienced any anti-British sentiment in any of my numerous trips to ROI though i have yet to visit NI

Wouldn't it be a bit like here where you may dislike or not trust a certain section of society but you'd be seen as a fool to voice that dislike publicly.

6 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Wouldn't it be a bit like here where you may dislike or not trust a certain section of society but you'd be seen as a fool to voice that dislike publicly.

Perhaps.. Like John Barnes said on QT we all hold our secret discriminatory feelings yet don't share them in the way you described. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Don’t think anybody said it doesn’t exist. It’s not particularly a one way street that though is it? 

as stated when that link was posted earlier in the thread, it’s Sinn Fein, it’s what they are about, its not like it’s a shock they think that way.  it’s crass in my opinion to use st Patrick’s day for political messages, considering it’s the patron saint day of Ireland, not republicanism, it’s celebarated by both traditions ,but it’s no different Sinn Fein standing next to that than the unionist politicians who stand next to ulster is British slogans & UVF flags , it’s NI politics, it’s tribal and extreme, it’s what they are about , what one does will cause offence to the other no matter what simply due to the nature of the disagreements. 

They cant even agree to govern the place at the moment and one of em is getting money thrown at them for the privelidge 

23 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

And I keep a Death' Head badge (in honour of my SS Grandad), a star of David (Hungarian jewish grandmother) and Irish tricolor (longford g/grandparents) in the cupboard.

Can't believe that you are willing to admit that your grandad was involved with Sports Shield.