Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cricket World Cup 2019

Smiley

• Members

Stayed up til 2.30 in the fucking morning watching every tense minute. Impossible to sleep after that. Utterly wasted now but fuck me, what a final!

As others have said, doubt anything more dramatic than that in a sporting contest could ever be witnessed.

Kiwi's all class and you had to feel for them - especially re Stokesy's two strokes of luck near the end. Their captains post match media event was fantastic and he deserved the standing ovation. All class the kiwi's. Australia could learn much from them.

Edited by bolty58

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Stayed up til 2.30 in the fucking morning watching every tense minute. Impossible to sleep after that. Utterly wasted now but fuck me, what a final!

As other have said, doubt anything more dramatic than that in a sporting contest could ever be witnessed.

Kiwi's all class and you had to feel for them - especially re Stokesy's two strokes of luck near the end. Their captains post match media event was fantastic and he deserved the standing ovation. All class the kiwi's. Australia could learn much from them.

Aussies can’t do class.

Bullying is institutional in their cricket.

• Members

One other thing. I am sure we are the only country in the world to have won the FIFA World Cup; the Rugby World Cup and the cricket World Cup (plus two World Wars :D )

In future though, can we please not have to go to extra time to finish the job. Thanks in advance.

• Site Supporter

Well I'm still buzzing. Didn't sleep much and still taking the enormity of the occasion in. 

The fact we won is secondary to the nature of the victory and the huge emotional rollercoaster.

It was bad enough being a fan- how the players and families felt, unimaginable.

Root's grandma was encountered by Aggers apparently, pushing his little un about as she couldn't watch. You often forget the human side of things. Fantastic.

• Site Supporter

Caught the last half hour after reading boby's post. Hadn't heard it first time as was watching. A great listen, especially as it was predominantly English commentators- something which was a little frustrating with sky's final commentary team being from all over the planet. Wanted a bit more passion and humour from them, which tuffers, Aggers, and Jimmy provided. Great listen.

Not sure if it's been mentioned above, but according to the rules of the game, we should've only got 5 runs for the overthrows that deflected off Stokes as they not crossed for the second time when the ball was thrown in. 

Must admit I never knew that was the rule and judging by the fact no commentators picked up on it not many others knew the rule either.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Caught the last half hour after reading boby's post. Hadn't heard it first time as was watching. A great listen, especially as it was predominantly English commentators- something which was a little frustrating with sky's final commentary team being from all over the planet. Wanted a bit more passion and humour from them, which tuffers, Aggers, and Jimmy provided. Great listen.

To be fair, Ian Smith's commentary for that final delivery was absolutely outstanding. Especially considering it all happened at his country's expense.

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

To be fair, Ian Smith's commentary for that final delivery was absolutely outstanding. Especially considering it all happened at his country's expense.

No issues with him being there. He is a New Zealander!

I had a quick think before, there was a Sri Lankan, a west Indian, two Aussies, an Indian (?) who calls the captain "Ian", and maybe others I missed.

I understand it's going to an international audience, but so does the big bash, and to be honest I enjoyed their predominantly Aussie commentators and the laughs they had. 

TMS seemed to have a bit more humour, edge and raw emotion.

Not wanting to be too critical of sky though, as I think their coverage overall is outstanding, and they've done a lot for the game.

• Site Supporter

I watched at Bradshaw where the thirds had a game against Lostock. The lads on the field were continually asking for updates. Credit to the two umpires who brought the teams off for the last couple of overs so the lads could watch a bit of history being made.

So happy that we won. But deflated with how it was worked out. The game ended level in every which way. And the dodgy decisions certainly went in England's favour for once.

Had the shoe been on the other foot and we'd seen 6 runs given when the laws state it should've been 5.... and then beaten by scoring less boundaries, but having taken more wickets in the match - we'd be livid.

New Zealand were a credit to the game.

• Site Supporter

This 6 runs instead of five debate presumes all subsequent deliveries would have been the same, with the same outcome.

I think I was Ashley Giles who said the last delivery to stokes was a full toss on leg stump, which he would have belted away if we'd needed more than one to tie and two to win.

Choices made according to the situation etc.

Anyway, New Zealand were indeed a credit, but beyond that we won and should enjoy it.

So many lbw decisions given as ‘umpires call’ could have affected the whole outcome of the tournament. If the technology says it’s hitting the wicket it should be out. That’s cricket. The weather could have resulted in Vera Duckworth getting involved. 

Personally, I’d have preferred a second or even third super over. Not sure my nerves could have taken that though.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

So many lbw decisions given as ‘umpires call’ could have affected the whole outcome of the tournament. If the technology says it’s hitting the wicket it should be out. That’s cricket. The weather could have resulted in Vera Duckworth getting involved. 

Personally, I’d have preferred a second or even third super over. Not sure my nerves could have taken that though.

What about an all in straightener on the pitch. Stumps left in for additional interest.

Stokes would have won it on his own. 

2 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

😊 Unless its against the Aussies. Warner fights dirty.

I'd love a Stokes v Warner straightener

10 seconds

20 hours ago, Smiley said:

So happy that we won. But deflated with how it was worked out. The game ended level in every which way. And the dodgy decisions certainly went in England's favour for once.

Had the shoe been on the other foot and we'd seen 6 runs given when the laws state it should've been 5.... and then beaten by scoring less boundaries, but having taken more wickets in the match - we'd be livid.

New Zealand were a credit to the game.

I don't get this. The way we won makes it all the more sweet for me. As close as can be right down to the final ball. Its like winning a penalty shoot out - awful if you lose, brilliant if you win.

And yes NZ were an absolute credit and I feel sorry for them. But most of the time these are exactly the things that go wrong for English sport. We won. In the most exhilarating way possible. Only makes it better.