Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Classic Draws

Smiley

Thinking back to being a kid and always thought that a 0-0 draw must have been proper boring as fuck.

And that games that were 3-3 or even 4-4 must have been classics.

Vaguely remember us having a few 3-3 draws over the years. Walsall away (late 80s) and Notts County at home around the same time - we were actually 3-0 down at half time in that one. Something tells me I was at Gay Meadow to see us draw 3-3 one December.

Struggling to recall any 4-4s. Bradford away with Julian Darby, maybe???

4 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

Italy 0-0 England October 1997... The last 90 seconds could've seen either side win it

Incredible end to that game, loved every minute of that WC98 Qualifying campaign, felt like life depended on it!

I used to think every draw went to a replay when I first started watching...

Had a 3-3 at Grimsby opening day didn't we, in that yellow Mixu kit?

Couple of decent draws in Europe too 😃

Just now, Marc505 said:

Incredible end to that game, loved every minute of that WC98 Qualifying campaign, felt like life depended on it!

I used to think every draw went to a replay when I first started watching...

Had a 3-3 at Grimsby opening day didn't we, in that yellow Mixu kit?

Couple of decent draws in Europe too 😃

Aye Grimsby could of been 10-10 amount of chances both had 

pretty sure we got them again away first game 0-0 

Walsall missed a late penalty to go 4-3 up to make that one even more of a classic.The 2 late goals at West Brom to snatch a draw in the play offs was a good one although id say the happiest i have ever been after a draw was Meggo's 0-0 in Madrid.I doubt any neutrals in the ground would have described the match as a classic, 0-0, mind

Leicester City 2 all at home. Nasty game. Robbie savage could of gone within 30 seconds for smashing Colin Hendry, then Warhurst straight red for smashing Savage. Rickets own goal.... then Brian Dean scored after a Jussi Blunder for 2 nil, then Dean Holdsworth went for doing savage as well a few mins after Warhurst. 9 men and 2 nil down... then the fight back. Savage brought off for his own safety by Dave Bassett. Nolan makes it 2-1 before half time..... Muzzi Izzet sent off for them in the 2nd half for nothing more than  standard fowl at best but the crowd were like animals and the ref sent him off. 4 mins of stoppage time.... Rickets popped up with the last seconds of the game to make it 2 all. Nobody left the ground early that day. Allardyce and us all celebrating like we'd won the league. Great day! 

Going back a while here - hopefully someone will confirm 

Nottingham Forest away late 70s First Division 

They were unbeaten at home for something like 2 years from memory 

Great game

We were winning 1 nil and they equalised at the death 

Left there gutted , but we came within a whisker of ending a remarkable unbeaten home run 

8 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Going back a while here - hopefully someone will confirm 

Nottingham Forest away late 70s First Division 

They were unbeaten at home for something like 2 years from memory 

Great game

We were winning 1 nil and they equalised at the death 

Left there gutted , but we came within a whisker of ending a remarkable unbeaten home run 

Growling then Trevor Francis last minute 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, leef78 said:

Leicester City 2 all at home. Nasty game. Robbie savage could of gone within 30 seconds for smashing Colin Hendry, then Warhurst straight red for smashing Savage. Rickets own goal.... then Brian Dean scored after a Jussi Blunder for 2 nil, then Dean Holdsworth went for doing savage as well a few mins after Warhurst. 9 men and 2 nil down... then the fight back. Savage brought off for his own safety by Dave Bassett. Nolan makes it 2-1 before half time..... Muzzi Izzet sent off for them in the 2nd half for nothing more than  standard fowl at best but the crowd were like animals and the ref sent him off. 4 mins of stoppage time.... Rickets popped up with the last seconds of the game to make it 2 all. Nobody left the ground early that day. Allardyce and us all celebrating like we'd won the league. Great day! 

Fantastic game that. As you said, our crowd were so hostile towards the ref. In my top 5 games at the Reebok even though we didn’t win.

2 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Aye Grimsby could of been 10-10 amount of chances both had 

pretty sure we got them again away first game 0-0 

I watched that a while ago on a 94-95 Roadrunner DVD, away end looked rammed solid. Gonna have to dig that out again it's a joy to watch start to finish!

1 hour ago, leef78 said:

One of the best games at the Reebok. It had everything.