Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackburn Away

matty2094

1 minute ago, leadfrog1 said:

I'm sure there's got to be something to this, murphy, noone, buckly, hobbs etc have been in the championship their entire careers for some decent teams, they come here and theyre shit... Wtf could cause this. It has to be the training and tactics. 

I'd guess they were never expected to be the better players for their club though, to be fair.

Pedersen did a half decent job playing full-back for a side challenging for Europe, but he wouldn't stand out in our team now (as a defender, replacing Donaldson he'd look like Brian Laudrup).

8 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

i can't believe how many 1'000s of pounds i have wasted this season watching these fuckers

It’s no so much the money but the time wasted. Yesterday had a cracking day, cycled down to Standish, then back up the canal through Adlington, weather was great stopped for a little snack by the canal, watched the world go by then headed back home, watched the second half at home, that confirmed I’d made the right call.  Much better day than spending £60-£70 and 4-5 hours out of my day to watch a bunch of wankers earning 10k a week (when they’re paid) walk round a football pitch for 90 minutes showing no desire or passion for the shirt. I’ll get my season ticket next season but if the team show same lack of desire I’ll find something else to do rather than subject myself to watching. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Eddie nails it there.

Forward thinking, attacking players have come and gone, either banished to the stand like naughty school boys or played that much out of position in a one dimensional set up they struggled and left.

You can’t win football matches if you don’t score goals.

10 hours ago, leadfrog1 said:

I'm sure there's got to be something to this, murphy, noone, buckly, hobbs etc have been in the championship their entire careers for some decent teams, they come here and theyre shit... Wtf could cause this. It has to be the training and tactics. 

Murphy played half his career at Crewe and has made as many appearances in L1 and L2 as in the Championship.

Before joining us Hobbs had made something 16 starts for Forest since the start of 2016.

Buckley failed to get a first team spot at his parent club and had been out on loan from 2015 before joining us.

Noone is the exception in your list and had been played regularly at Cardiff but Warnock could see that at almost 30 he wasn't going to be getting any quicker or more skilful as a winger and so got rid.

BWFC and PP didn't make these players shit, they're performing at the level you'd expect if you look at it objectively.

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

To be fair, I've not wasted that much watching this season - the bulk of the spend has been on trains and beer having a laugh with mates so that's no wasted money. Maybe away days without the football is the way forward

Said this for years, I can blank the football out as we have such a good laugh

the football ticket is at least 1/4 of what I spend on aways

11 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Murphy played half his career at Crewe and has made as many appearances in L1 and L2 as in the Championship.

Before joining us Hobbs had made something 16 starts for Forest since the start of 2016.

Buckley failed to get a first team spot at his parent club and had been out on loan from 2015 before joining us.

Noone is the exception in your list and had been played regularly at Cardiff but Warnock could see that at almost 30 he wasn't going to be getting any quicker or more skilful as a winger and so got rid.

BWFC and PP didn't make these players shit, they're performing at the level you'd expect if you look at it objectively.

Before joining us murphy played 4/5 seasons in the Leeds and Burtons first team in the championship. 

Buckly was only loaned out because he wasn't good enough in the Premier league, then loaned out to championship clubs. 

Hobbs had a bad injury, his quality was never in doubt. 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Whilst we understand the level some of the players are at, there's no excuse for an apparent inability to pass the ball to a team mate regularly, with accuracy. Nor to simply move into space and make yourself available.

Something fundamentally wrong, and that's the responsibility of the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Whilst we understand the level some of the players are at, there's no excuse for an apparent inability to pass the ball to a team mate regularly, with accuracy. Nor to simply move into space and make yourself available.

Something fundamentally wrong, and that's the responsibility of the coaching staff.

Correct mate, think it was Buckley v Leeds just before they scored, got the ball on the right promising attack and he forgot to take the ball with him!!

that ain’t nothing to do with how much a player cost or where they have played before it’s basic football 

I'm not happy clapping the coaching staff here but surely If you're a professional footballer and you can't pass the ball with any accuracy and you have no idea how to move around the pitch then it's not the coaching staff who are at fault it's just that you're in the wrong job.

The manager and/or above could be blamed for bringing the player in but surely it isn't the coaching staff's job to teach a professional how to do the basics.

The team has problems throughout, but because of Parky's approach and the lack of athletic box-to-box midfielders we never seem to get into a position where we can apply consistent attacking pressure which the fans would love to see. He's so nervous about being caught by pace, our midfield's primary role seems to be protecting the defence rather than supporting the attack in the kind of numbers we see the top sides doing, and even when we have players in the side to pick a forward pass like Luca Connell or Gazza there are very few decent options for them. Nor do we have strikers with the pace to get behind. It may be a formula for not conceding so much (that's going well 😳 !) but in setting out the stall that way it means we end up with the attempts and goals we've got i.e. bugger all. I can understand why Parky does what he does,  but it's clear that in the Championship it's nowhere near enough, regardless of the players at his disposal. Yesterday I'd have been happier to watch an experimental side with an attacking brief, even if we'd been battered 5 nil than see the inevitable slow torture unfold. Root and branch changes needed but whether we'll get them is another story. However if we recruit, compromises will have to be made but I'd be happier if we sacrificed skill and experience for pace, athleticism and power just so that we at least have a chance of playing a more dynamic brand of football - and a manager willing to let them try.

I do agree on your points about some players not being good enough, but likewise I think with simple tweaks to the system and shape we would have been far better off. 

We've lacked pace in wide areas - simple solution, play Little out wide. That way we aren't just focusing EVERYTHING through Ameobi. 

We struggle going box to box, play Vela our best midfielder for that (in my opinion). 

We lack craft. Play Oztumer in the hole. 

Small, simple changes could change the face of this team. Magennis/Donaldson aren't good enough to play completely isolated. They need help. Pace out wide with some box to box players and a creative player in behind would have reaped rewards for me. Parki clearly disagrees but I think he's missed so many opportunities this season. 

The fella has employed this type of football to all of his teams wherever he has managed 

he isn’t doing it here just because we are dealing with freebies & journey men. He’s bringing players in then trying to get them to fit his stubborn, negative direct approach. Square pegs in round holes half the time. 

He had relative success at Bradford with it because L1 is more accustomed to that style of play and he had a big lump up top (Hansen) so it worked. He had the same success with us at the same level with another big lump up front. 

Whenever he then makes the step up to the champ he’s nowhere near good enough because that style of play doesn’t get the same results. Particularly if the tools you are using to try and do the job aren’t good enough 

but, instead of recognising that and looking at making changes to get the best out of what he has he’s persisted week on week. Changing the formation and players. 

They aren’t the fundamental problems. The style of play is. Simple as that 

22 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

The fella has employed this type of football to all of his teams wherever he has managed 

he isn’t doing it here just because we are dealing with freebies & journey men. He’s bringing players in then trying to get them to fit his stubborn, negative direct approach. Square pegs in round holes half the time. 

He had relative success at Bradford with it because L1 is more accustomed to that style of play and he had a big lump up top (Hansen) so it worked. He had the same success with us at the same level with another big lump up front. 

Whenever he then makes the step up to the champ he’s nowhere near good enough because that style of play doesn’t get the same results. Particularly if the tools you are using to try and do the job aren’t good enough 

but, instead of recognising that and looking at making changes to get the best out of what he has he’s persisted week on week. Changing the formation and players. 

They aren’t the fundamental problems. The style of play is. Simple as that 

Just a thought - Warnock got Cardiff up last season playing quite defensive, pragmatic football, in a similar vein to Parkinson's dirge. The difference is, they had the money to fund attackers who could take the limited chances they got in front of goal. 

I'm not defending the dross we've been served up for the past couple of years, but looking at the pool of footballers available at Championship level, finances mean we're not even in the same pond. 

Clayton Donaldson has appeared in 31 League games this seaon. We have scored a grand total of 6 goals whilst he's been on the pitch (and another 6 in 3 cup games). He has scored one of them.

Josh McGuiness has not scored a league goal since September, and plyed in 41 league games.

Theres the problem, the quality of player we have, and the fact that we continue to pick them, but play a style which is obviously so succesful.

It's not a matter of playing style OR player quality. It's a matter of creating a playing style that works with the players available. What Parky has tried with these players hasn't worked so as Matthew 1234 says there were options of changing it around even with this squad, but they weren't taken. 

I don't mind if a manager exhausts all the selection and style options in an attempt to get the optimum out of what's available, but what I find unacceptable is endlessly repeating the same losing formula and getting the same losing results. Or changing the things that show signs of working.

Edited by Hoppy510

The club is toxic as it was last time we dropped down. 

Phil has not got it in him to turn this round.

He cannot adapt and fresh ideas are needed. 

I still find it incredible That he wasn’t sacked after us staying up by a fluke. 

The fans have suffered enough. Please just get rid.

1 hour ago, TM Trotter said:

Just a thought - Warnock got Cardiff up last season playing quite defensive, pragmatic football, in a similar vein to Parkinson's dirge. The difference is, they had the money to fund attackers who could take the limited chances they got in front of goal. 

I'm not defending the dross we've been served up for the past couple of years, but looking at the pool of footballers available at Championship level, finances mean we're not even in the same pond. 

Yep completely get that. In order for this approach to work you need to have decent tools as I alluded too. 

Weve got the bargain basement version but to continue to plod on with it when time and time again it doesn’t work and freeze out players who have an ounce of creativity instead of trying to utilise them is idiocy in my book 

Fully understand that we haven’t got great players, I don’t think anybody doubts that. There is an argument to say that the players are better than they are currently showing based on previous clubs etc., or that we have players in the squad that aren’t being used when they could improve us.

But the biggest failing for me, and I’ve said this before, is the lack of basics that don’t require loads of money to get right. We should be running more than any other team, we should be the fittest team in the league, we should press and close down and make it difficult for anyone to play against us, we should have a solid shape and press in numbers, we should be fucking brilliant at set pieces, every set piece should be a chance, we should be able to take a throw in with a very simple way of playing our way out and keeping the ball, we should be using every shithouse trick in the book (not seen since Henry left last season). All of these can be done without the most skilful players but would make up some way for the lack of ability, and there’s loads more. It should be obvious when you watch the team week on week that they are working on things, obviously it would be good to see the passing and moving improving and the more technical side but that’s where ability becomes a limitation, at the very least you should be able to see evidence of the above in matches but there’s absolutely fuck all. He’s given up, they’ve given up and they can all fuck off if they’re going to keep hold of their shit mentality over the summer.