Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Hello

I was born in Wales, live in London and have supported BWFC for 62 years through all the good times and the bad ! I was a season ticket holder at Burnden Park and the Reebok. I worked with Brett Warburton and have watched many  BWFC  matches with him. My son also supports the team (no blackmail, honest). Sad to see the current situation, but no matter, whatever Division we are in my support will never waver.

• Members
On 11/04/2019 at 19:15, NOTWORTHY said:

I was born in Wales, live in London and have supported BWFC for 62 years through all the good times and the bad ! I was a season ticket holder at Burnden Park and the Reebok. I worked with Brett Warburton and have watched many  BWFC  matches with him. My son also supports the team (no blackmail, honest). Sad to see the current situation, but no matter, whatever Division we are in my support will never waver.

Welcome aboard. We need more like you.

We will have been through similar times. We always bounce back.

I started supporting Bolton at the 1958 cup final when the overwhelming support was for Man Utd. My hero was Eddie Hopkinson, a great goalkeeper. My claim to fame is that I have a pair of Frank Worthingtons, BWFC shorts (they are extra large). Also, for the play off final against Reading, I flew from Spain to London to see the match. Unfortunately, at 2-2 going into extra time I had to get the returning flights, (or else divorce) so I had to leave. I did not know we were promoted until the following day !

• Site Supporter

Notworthy, I remember that Reading playoff... From an old job, I used to get a fair few free seat tickets, & entrance to the players bar at Arsenal, & sometimes  the old Wembley. 

Once we grabbed our place in the playoff, I crowed to my mate that I'd get us in to Wembley, gratis. Failed miserably, - so thought I'd buy tickets myself & not tell him I'd weighed out for them. Only tickets I could get were in the Olympic Gallery, & were over £40 each. Grimaced & paid out for the two.

1/2 way through the 'eXpEnSiVe'  match he piped up saying he'd remembered supporting Reading as a Kid. F.F.S!!

Thank god we won in the way we did. Goals down, & mad man facing a penalty, I just assumed I'd blown nigh on £90 for this?!?

Then...

R.

Edited by BWanderers
Dyx

On 12/04/2019 at 16:05, NOTWORTHY said:

Also, for the play off final against Reading, I flew from Spain to London to see the match. Unfortunately, at 2-2 going into extra time I had to get the returning flights, (or else divorce) so I had to leave. I did not know we were promoted until the following day !

I'd have taken the divorce,selfish cow.

• Members
On 12/04/2019 at 23:05, NOTWORTHY said:

I started supporting Bolton at the 1958 cup final when the overwhelming support was for Man Utd. My hero was Eddie Hopkinson, a great goalkeeper. My claim to fame is that I have a pair of Frank Worthingtons, BWFC shorts (they are extra large). Also, for the play off final against Reading, I flew from Spain to London to see the match. Unfortunately, at 2-2 going into extra time I had to get the returning flights, (or else divorce) so I had to leave. I did not know we were promoted until the following day !

You weren't the lanky loon in the Embankment who used to mimic his every move were you? I was fascinated with him as a kid. I seriously thought that they must have let him out of Woodside on Saturdays only. Diving full length on to concrete in torrential rain and stuff. If it was a boring match, I used to watch him and shake my head.