Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

"IF" it goes tits up.

Ratwhite

Even now I struggle to watch any football, it's painful. A bit like if your girlfriend leaves you then seeing happy couples having a great time, or just being normal. I'm jealous of every other club in the 92 and the semi pro game. Every single club is happier than us, I just don't want to watch them enjoying themselves, the only slight joy I will get is if wigan get relegated but even that is just temporary.

This is a depressing thread.  I watch a lot of non league so wouldn't be bothered watching a reformed Wanderers way down the pyramid although I would have serious concerns if it was being run by the current ST.  If a reformed Wanderers didn't happen I'll be watching a lot more Chorley, Rammy, Colls etc. and RL with the odd Kilmarnock game thrown in.

Having said all that, I still don't think the worse case will happen.  We might need to take admin, spend a few years in the lower divisions but I think we will survive.  If we do survive, we can't ever let ourselves get in this situation again.  The club needs to be run within its means and if that means we don't see the PL or Championship again, then so be it.

Guessing we could do what Parma did in Italy could come back re-branded like Bolton Wanderers F.C. 1874 something like that, but some of our fans couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Wouldn't be the same 

Edited by Okocha10

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Fingers crossed that we would be organised enough to sort out a decent Phoenix club, you’d like to think tge league wouldn’t take the piss too much, I think it would be League2, Confrence or worst case Confrence North. Dare I say it, some cracking aways down there! 

Dont forget, Rangers went through liquidation, nobody looks at them and thinks they are some odd new club with no affiliation to the old one 

In terms of name changes, I think Wanderers FC, afterall we are the one and only Wanderers!!

Hope it doesn’t come that that of course 

Rangers kept their ground though (not sure how?). Losing our stadium would mean we would never aspire to getting back in the EFL in the foreseeable surely? I could stomach watching us doing a Stockport or Hereford or Wimbledon but not if we have to stick with a ground forever that is the size of Salford or FC Utd.

Would be Bolton or nothing for me.

A reformed club run by the ST does not excite me, hard to justify driving over to watch the current lot.

Think the novelty of non league would be very short lived. As mentioned think that is more of a thing for people who live locally. 

No interest in England or any other sport on a regular basis but might just go to the odd sporting event , but it really is not the same when you do not give a shit who wins.

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Fingers crossed that we would be organised enough to sort out a decent Phoenix club, you’d like to think tge league wouldn’t take the piss too much, I think it would be League2, Confrence or worst case Confrence North. Dare I say it, some cracking aways down there! 

Dont forget, Rangers went through liquidation, nobody looks at them and thinks they are some odd new club with no affiliation to the old one 

In terms of name changes, I think Wanderers FC, afterall we are the one and only Wanderers!!

Hope it doesn’t come that that of course 

Us and rangers are incomparable and we wouldn’t be getting anywhere the football league as we know it as a reformed organisation.

It’d be athy colls league at probably athy colls ground. 

• Moderators

A few of us have an understanding of "non-league", how it works and the challenges. A reformed Bolton team would be the team to beat for everyone, we've seen the amount of pricks that follow us away, they'd absolutely fucking ruin it for everyone else at clubs with small bars and not much else. Then once you get to the Conf North, you are up once again with the big boys, Stockport County have been sat there for years, FCUM with their new stadium look like bombing straight back out. It'll be tough, really really fucking tough, if it goes that way.

7 minutes ago, Carlos said:

A few of us have an understanding of "non-league", how it works and the challenges. A reformed Bolton team would be the team to beat for everyone, we've seen the amount of pricks that follow us away, they'd absolutely fucking ruin it for everyone else at clubs with small bars and not much else. Then once you get to the Conf North, you are up once again with the big boys, Stockport County have been sat there for years, FCUM with their new stadium look like bombing straight back out. It'll be tough, really really fucking tough, if it goes that way.

Stockport and FCUM aren’t big boys though are they 

At that level of course but Wanderers down there would be different all together 

Thats why I wouldn’t see us dropping further than Confrence North, likely be a Confrence job 

• Site Supporter

Having been reading this and taken time to think, I probably would still follow a re-formed team - it's in the blood. The amount of time/games I go to would depend on whether the lads would still go. Not much fun travelling to Blyth Spartans on your own for a day out but if a few were up for it, it's a day out

I would go and watch the odd Chester or Runcorn match.

Would not go to Preston with Matt like.....

I would hope Tomski and co would increase the visits to HSV and maybe even come to NAC. Euro football is where its at if we fold.

• Members
1 hour ago, Ani said:

Would be Bolton or nothing for me.

A reformed club run by the ST does not excite me, hard to justify driving over to watch the current lot.

Pretty much this for me as well, spent the last 34 yrs driving over to watch Wanderers games on my own , doing that for another team isn't for me.

We aren't at all comparable with Rangers. Rangers had someone lined up to buy the name, stadium and all assets from the receivers. They did so knowing under Scottish rules it was likely that Rangers would be elected back in at league level (possibly even SPL level) and would be the second biggest club in the country even if they ended up in the lowest tier. 

They knew that within a few years they'd be back in the SPL and filling a large ground.

We'd have a situation where you'd need someone to spend money on the naming rights, ground and assets to possibly end up in the lowest of non league tiers (if the league applied the rules fully) - and at best to sustain a club capable of 13-14K in the second tier which it would be leagues below. You'd probably not have anyone immediately lined up able to pay market value so would be in competition with those looking for land or other assets to do non football stuff with. You'd have different fan groups trying to do something and potentially rival bids splitting people. 

The thought of it is utterly frightening. 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

At that level of course but Wanderers down there would be different all together 

Thats why I wouldn’t see us dropping further than Confrence North, likely be a Confrence job 

They are big boys in terms of they are paying players £500 a week. So to compete you need to be having a playing budget well into the 6 figures, going on quarter of a mill a year. People call it jumpers for goalposts still...

47 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

It all really depends on the nature of a re-formed club. If it’s a supporters trust run, playing at Daisy Hill effort then it would start at the bottom and it’d be gone within 2 years as far no fucker would be interested and wouldn’t really be a continuation of BWFC Mk I. 

Best hope would be retaining the ground - and most importantly the FA registration - and a new holding company buying the old one out of the hands of the liquidators. On field penalty would be a two step relegation which would mean applying to the Conference, for which the precedent already exists (Boston United) that it would be Conference North rather than National.