Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First game you saw in Division 3

miamiwhite

10 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Yes , perhaps his management inexperience showing through. How long after did he fetch in Mick Brown , I seem to remember a marked improvement when he was drafted in as assistant manager.

From memory MIck Brown arrived in the pre-season before Div 4 but it could have been slightly later. Can't quite place it. 

You can see what they were thinking Colin Irwin and Phil Neal both inexperienced. But that whole 80s strategy of appointing player managers straight out of the top flight didn't really work. Punctuated as it was by appointing Charlie Wright on the strength of a decent run while caretaker manager.

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

A 1-1 draw at a night game in the latter part of the 1985/6 season. Dave Sutton equalises for Bolton after Brentford had taken a first half lead. 

A decent point away from home , noticed I think Graham Bell , I don't hardly see him mentioned very much . What was the general opinion of him ?

2 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

A decent point away from home , noticed I think Graham Bell , I don't hardly see him mentioned very much . What was the general opinion of him ?

Every chance Bell would have been there in 85/6. He wasn't great to be honest. Had played at a higher level and had good moments but overall not a huge impact

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Every chance Bell would have been there in 85/6. He wasn't great to be honest. Had played at a higher level and had good moments but overall not a huge impact

Just checked the book , he did play that game and made 30 League appearances too.

1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

He was poor.  A decent touch but slow and lightweight.

He came on as sub in the 86 FRT final and was probably our best player that day in that brief appearance.  I can't think of anything else of note that he ever did for us.

No wonder they released him then.

7 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I think he was given a free transfer at the end of that season.... 

Which tells its own story.

After nearly 8 years Bolton finally won a game in London. It was November 1986 and we collected an unexpected Division 3 away win at Griffin Park, Brentford. The previous victory in the capital had been a top-flight 1-3 win at Loftus Road, QPR in December 1978. The London jinx had become a real "thing" among Bolton followers and the media. It was good to put it to rest.

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

After nearly 8 years Bolton finally won a game in London. It was November 1986 and we collected an unexpected Division 3 away win at Griffin Park, Brentford. The previous victory in the capital had been a top-flight 1-3 win at Loftus Road, QPR in December 1978. The London jinx had become a real "thing" among Bolton followers and the media. It was good to put it to rest.

A great way win , albeit after living dangerously.Mark Gavin looked a quality player on the evidence of the clips , a pity we couldn't keep him for a few more seasons.a welcome appearance of the blue away strip too.

8 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

A great way win , albeit after living dangerously.Mark Gavin looked a quality player on the evidence of the clips , a pity we couldn't keep him for a few more seasons.a welcome appearance of the blue away strip too.

Aye. There was a big falling out do with Gavin. One of only two away wins in 86/7

30 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Mark Gavin....quality player when he wanted to be.

Made more since retiring thanks to his massage parlour business in Amsterdam.

All info on the bottom of this link and seems he met Traf too.

http://www.sheridan-dictates.com/he-wore-the-white-shirt-mark-gavin.php

I think of all the outfield players , wingers seem to be exposed the most if they carry inconsistency in their game , he certainly seemed to have a good shot on him.

Interesting article, did he end up at Hearts at some stage , I recall Neil Berry and Wayne Foster playing there in the mid eighties.

7 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I think of all the outfield players , wingers seem to be exposed the most if they carry inconsistency in their game , he certainly seemed to have a good shot on him.

Interesting article, did he end up at Hearts at some stage , I recall Neil Berry and Wayne Foster playing there in the mid eighties.

I think he ended up at Greenock Morton mate.

We're all on the march with Phil Neal's army - we're all going to Wembley! 

Time for some Freight Rover action from 1985/6. A while ago I posted the first of our Prelimary Round "group phase" matches that season, a 2-2 draw at Stockport in which we came back from 2-0 down in the last two minutes. This 1-0 win over Crewe a week later in January 1986 ensured qualification for the Northern Quarter Final. George Oghani the scorer.

No commentary on this one. Picture quality is dreadful - and the match was witnessed by only 2,428 fans!

Edited by paulhanley

Good old George taking one for the team , I think Oghani and Caldwell scored 9 goals between them in that cup run. It makes you wonder what might have happened if Caldwell's shot had gone in at 0-0 in the final instead of hitting the bar . Did a dvd of the final ever get officially released?