Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First game you saw in Division 3

miamiwhite

49 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Think I'm getting confused with a League Cup tie from that era 

That was the year we were in the 4th division and them (& Bury!) were in a division higher.

We won the first leg at theirs 3-2 & then lost the 2nd leg at home 1-3. Either JT or Chandler, i forget which, got injured in that game.  Campbell got a couple got them

6 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

That was the year we were in the 4th division and them (& Bury!) were in a division higher.

We won the first leg at theirs 3-2 & then lost the 2nd leg at home 1-3. Either JT or Chandler, i forget which, got injured in that game.  Campbell got a couple got them

It was John Thomas. I've got the goals from that game but they won't see the light of day on you tube just out of pure vindictive spite to the pie-eaters.

There are many contenders for the lowest point in Bolton's history (and there's some stiff competition from current events!). Scarborough 4 Bolton 0 in 1987 is a contender. That was on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend. On the Monday we played Peterborough at home. Less than 4,000 turned up to Burnden but we got back to winning ways within 48 hours. Goals by John Thomas (pen) and Steve Thompson, the latter in injury time. It was a long and miserable Sunday between the two! 

31 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There are many contenders for the lowest point in Bolton's history (and there's some stiff competition from current events!). Scarborough 4 Bolton 0 in 1987 is a contender. That was on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend. On the Monday we played Peterborough at home. Less than 4,000 turned up to Burnden but we got back to winning ways within 48 hours. Goals by John Thomas (pen) and Steve Thompson, the latter in injury time. It was a long and miserable Sunday between the two! 

Nice one Paul , Warren Joyce didn't seem to try and take the ball around the Keeper he just fell over the top of him , and I don't think I've seen many Refs take that position for a penalty kick .great footage cheers.

1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

Nice one Paul , Warren Joyce didn't seem to try and take the ball around the Keeper he just fell over the top of him , and I don't think I've seen many Refs take that position for a penalty kick .great footage cheers.

I thought that about Joyce for that Pen. Bit rash from the keeper that's for sure!

Just now, dusan nikolic said:

Do you have the footage from the first leg Paul?

I have the goals only. Its pretty poor standard though. Depsite it being August its very gloomy and the Springfield Park lights clearly weren't up to much. I'll put them up at some stage. All the Bolton goals are in front of the away end, which is good. I think Chris Thompson is playing for Wigan.

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I have the goals only. Its pretty poor standard though. Depsite it being August its very gloomy and the Springfield Park lights clearly weren't up to much. I'll put them up at some stage. All the Bolton goals are in front of the away end, which is good. I think Chris Thompson is playing for Wigan.

Yes I think we scored all 3 in the second half , I remember my dad pulling me off the fencing when the 3rd went in.I think it was the same day that bloke shot all them people in Hungerford , that sticks in my mind.

I Wrote the scorers on the back of my programme for that game and I'm sure Chris Thompson scored 1.

Edited by dusan nikolic

6 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Yes I think we scored all 3 in the second half , I remember my dad pulling me off the fencing when the 3rd went in.I think it was the same day that bloke shot all them people in Hungerford , that sticks in my mind.

I Wrote the scorers on the back of my programme for that game and I'm sure Chris Thompson scored 1.

I think Big Trev got one. Jeff Chandler's last game before the horrible injury he got. 

Looked like a decent following!

4 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

and I don't think I've seen many Refs take that position for a penalty kick .great footage cheers.

Very odd that. Surely as the taker you're going to aim for the less busy side of the net not the side where the ref's stood.  Keeper didn't think of that though! 

A very wintry Burnden Park in early 1987 and Bolton on the slippery slope to Division 4. Far from a certainty when we played Bristol Rovers at home but blowing a 2-0 lead at home was a sure sign all was not right. "The Gas" turned up in a very garish away strip and looked to be on the wrong end of it with goals by Dave Sutton and Tony Caldwell. Mark Gavin is on top form in this video! But it all goes to rat-shit in the late stages of the game. 

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

A very wintry Burnden Park in early 1987 and Bolton on the slippery slope to Division 4. Far from a certainty when we played Bristol Rovers at home but blowing a 2-0 lead at home was a sure sign all was not right. "The Gas" turned up in a very garish away strip and looked to be on the wrong end of it with goals by Dave Sutton and Tony Caldwell. Mark Gavin is on top form in this video! But it all goes to rat-shit in the late stages of the game. 

Great footage , enough chances to win 2 games , Mark Gavin on fire and Tony Caldwell was unlucky too.

From the footage I've seen we didn't seem too bad attacking that season , it just seemed to be constant defensive errors the big problem.

Just now, dusan nikolic said:

Great footage , enough chances to win 2 games , Mark Gavin on fire and Tony Caldwell was unlucky too.

From the footage I've seen we didn't seem too bad attacking that season , it just seemed to be constant defensive errors the big problem.

I think that's right up until about February but then if you look at the results from there on, the goals dry up dramatically. If memory serves Mark Gavin - who had been excellent up until then - got very sulky, for whatever reason. We got quite a few 0-0 draws but once the leaky defence kicked in again we were sinking fast. 

A bit of light relief from the ongoing attrition of modern day Bolton Wanderers. Pretty much exactly 31 years ago Bolton's only 4th division season was drawing to a close. The final promotion clinching game at Wrexham is now famous. The penultimate game was on May Bank Holiday Monday at home to Colchester. It ended 4-0 to the Wanderers with Jeff Chandler making a cameo return from serious injury and scoring the fourth. The result didn't do enough to put Bolton in control of their own destiny in terms of automatic promotion. But as well all know, five days later at the racecourse events turned  in ourfavour! Picture and sound quality on this is not great! This is a couple of months in to Roadrunner taking over - Dave is in fine form!

A trip back to October 1986 and a warm sunny day at Burnden Park. We'd lost six of our first nine games and next up was Notts County. A well taken George Oghani goal gave us the lead but a freak own-goal meant the points were shared. This is, of course, the 1986/87 relegation season. 

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

A trip back to October 1986 and a warm sunny day at Burnden Park. We'd lost six of our first nine games and next up was Notts County. A well taken George Oghani goal gave us the lead but a freak own-goal meant the points were shared. This is, of course, the 1986/87 relegation season. 

Thanks Paul , bizarre own goal by Asa Hartford. How often did they have 2 cameras at the games?  I don't recall any others with different camera angles , it almost seems like Match of the day.

Edited by dusan nikolic

8 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks Paul , bizarre own goal by Asa Hartford. How often did they have 2 cameras at the games?  I don't recall any others with different camera angles , it almost seems like Match of the day.

I noticed that!! When Roadrunner took over Dave had fellow commentators and there were several cameras For 1986 this was a complete one off! 

Edited by paulhanley

Last one this week - more next. Wolves went up as Champions in the season we were promoted from Div 4. In early October a late John Thomas penalty at Burnden was the only goal of the game and the three points were ours. They hammered us at Wolves in the New Year (a game that wasn't filmed). Here's the JT Pen and the lead up to it. The Wolves fans were banned from travelling away at this time due to their antics on the road. My memory is that a few did turn up and make a fuss in the Burnden Stand - others will no doubt know if there was more serious bother

This evening's posting is a match I remember more than anything for being utterly drenched before, after and throughout! An October game  at home to Chester in 86/7 with a gale force wind blowing in over the Embankment and in to the Lever End. One of those occasions when long clearances and goal kicks swirl up and slow in the wind and sometimes even go partially back from whence they came. This was a 1-1 draw - strangely both goals (ours by Steve Elliott) scored in to the teeth of the wind. Horrible conditions to be outdoors - never mind watching and playing football! 

42 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

This evening's posting is a match I remember more than anything for being utterly drenched before, after and throughout! An October game  at home to Chester in 86/7 with a gale force wind blowing in over the Embankment and in to the Lever End. One of those occasions when long clearances and goal kicks swirl up and slow in the wind and sometimes even go partially back from whence they came. This was a 1-1 draw - strangely both goals (ours by Steve Elliott) scored in to the teeth of the wind. Horrible conditions to be outdoors - never mind watching and playing football! 

Another game of missed chances in the 86/87 season , Oghani seems to be playing as a winger , was this done to accommodate Steve Elliot , who on the footage from these clips , seems quite wasteful.

2 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Another game of missed chances in the 86/87 season , Oghani seems to be playing as a winger , was this done to accommodate Steve Elliot , who on the footage from these clips , seems quite wasteful.

Aye. Elliott had a decent career before arriving at Bolton. My memory is that Phil Neal signed him in Summer 86 with some of the proceeds of getting to Wembley v Bristol City. Was very average for us before going off to Bury - and inevitably scoring against us.