Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New Phone

superbobby

Looking to replace my Samsung S7 as I am out of contract.

I'm not wanting the latest S10 or anything, have a budget of £30/month and have narrowed the field down to 2 phones:  The Samsung S9 PLus or the Huawei P20 Pro,

Which one should I go for?

Edited by superbobby

the samsung

the s9plus has more ram than the normal p20 . 

screens bigger , its oled (if you like that) , more pixels (think it ultra hd) . . the internal 'hard drive' on the samsung is the newer UFS memory chips , (the p20 might use the same , but i dunno)

i know you can put a memory card in the s9 , to put yr photos on. 

the samsung was probably written/looked at  by native english speakers somewhere down the line. 

the s9 is the top range , the MATEs are the top end series for the chinese company. and those dont come out til about 8 months after the p ones .. youre not really comparing like for like. 

id still pick the samsung even comparing it against the p20pro or a MATE20 , just coz. 

Edited by e2e4
more reasons

• Moderators
6 hours ago, superbobby said:

Looking to replace my Samsung S7 as I am out of contract.

I'm not wanting the latest S10 or anything, have a budget of £30/month and have narrowed the field down to 2 phones:  The Samsung S9 PLus or the Huawei P20 Pro,

Which one should I go for?

The cameras on Huaweis are meant to be very good

So if the camera is important, I'd go with that

• 3 weeks later...

I've been due an upgrade for a few years but made do with a SIM only with my iPhone 6. Lost it the other week. Got it back. Then smashed the screen.

Hate being in a contract - so wondering where the cheapest places are for new iPhones.

And "reaching out" to other iPhone users - better to go from 6 up to XR - or fine to go with something like the iPhone 8?

I'm not using it to watch movies and the likes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
18 hours ago, superbobby said:

Good job I decided against the Huawei

Aye.

We've all got them. Be interesting to see when upgrades stop happening, if they haven't already.

Not sure how my ee contract covers it, but I do wonder if the phone no longer becomes fit for purpose, whether the contract effectively stops- ie change phones mid term without penalties?