Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Ken Anderson Book of Condolence

Spider

• Site Supporter

And so the curtain has finally come down - after seemingly endless encores - on Sweaty Ken’s reign at BWFC.

It goes without saying that it will be remembered with all the fondness of an unshakeable sexual infection.

The last 18 months of his reign - a constant outpouring of increasingly narcissistic and occasionally bizarre Chairman’s Notes, along with regular court appearances - will almost certainly be his legacy. His shadowy past and even more shadowy entourage consistently bringing his methods and objectives into question.

There can be no doubt that both BWFC and Ken Anderson are better off without each other.

But - and it’s a big but - we have to acknowledge that as things stand on April 17th 2019, Ken has done precisely what he said he would from day one.

He painted himself as a temporary custodian of our proud and famous club. He went to great lengths to assure the fans that he wasn’t here for a long time (and certainly not a good one), but merely a stepping stone to a wealthier and more capable owner that the club deserves.

He was also honest in that he wanted to make some money. He’s a businessman, not some batshit-mental supporter with a carefree attitude to his personal fortune.

In the end, it’s likely that Ken made a few quid. A couple of million perhaps. For what it’s worth, that’s too much, but we must acknowledge an undeniable and for many uncomfortable truth - without his slimy, self-absorbed intervention we may not have a club to support today.

No-one else stepped in last time, and the man that did has now delivered on the promise he made.

The new chap seems to be making bigger promises and let’s hope to Lofthouse that he’s as good as his word.

For now, it’s a slight doff of the flat cap to Ken Anderson. 

A bit of a cunt, but mission complete.

Edited by Spider

The last 18 months have been a minefield in Anderson's care, he deserves a lot of credit for what he did in 2016 when he bought the club, but the constant shitstorm he's created since means all the good he did will be forgotten very quickly, and 99% of Bolton fans will breathe a sigh of relief as we say thanks but fuck off Ken.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Offshore said:

A right cunt; but our cunt. As said, without him we wouldn't be writing this. We'd be wondering who Chorley are playing come saturday..................Thanks Ken. Now seeya.................

Now, I don't get this in the world of club chairman. El HajDiouff fit right into that bracket. Horrible bloke, but our horrible bloke. Club chairmen are just not there to be liked in the way players are.

I think we are pretty much exactly where we were when he came in 3 years ago 

I cant see any evidence that things have improved financially 

He came in as we were dead and buried in the championship under a winder from the HMRC and he is leaving with us in the same spot 

Its all been a bit meh for me 

31 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I think we are pretty much exactly where we were when he came in 3 years ago 

I cant see any evidence that things have improved financially 

He came in as we were dead and buried in the championship under a winder from the HMRC and he is leaving with us in the same spot 

Its all been a bit meh for me 

We had better players 3 years ago than Ken leaves us with.There is no Holding to sell to Arsenal and Madine/Clough were obviously better than Donaldson and Magennis

• Site Supporter

I can't believe the "deserves credit, not done a bad job" bollocks.

It doesn't matter what positives you include, (as if the fuckers croaked) he could have made it a lot easier for fans, players and even (both) Parkys by just letting us know what's happening. His lack of communication, and by giving other people the bullets to fire, and the pointless information voids of his Message from the Chairman means he can fuck right off, not passing Go, and not collecting £200.

Cut the top off his head and it will say arsehole right through to his  - well, arsehole.

Not saying it's necessarily the case but for the last two years I've been expressing my concerns that Anderson may have been asset-stripping the club. When someone on here (Howard?) suggested that the EFL and transfer money was "loaned" to IC it took me straight back to Anderson's previous conviction/MO for syphoning company money into his personal accounts via other companies.

As yet, nobody knows for sure what he's done, but even if he hasn't robbed us blind I'll be glad to see the back of him because I trust him as far as I can throw Blackpool Tower. One thing is for sure - BWFC have lost a helluva lot of money during his tenure one way or another, the full extent of which we'll find out in the fullness of time, but whatever the damage there's no way it can be dressed up as having done a decent job.

Just now, Hoppy510 said:

Not saying it's necessarily the case but for the last two years I've been expressing my concerns that Anderson may have been asset-stripping the club. When someone on here (Howard?) suggested that the EFL and transfer money was "loaned" to IC it took me straight back to Anderson's previous conviction/MO for syphoning company money into his personal accounts via other companies.

As yet, nobody knows for sure what he's done, but even if he hasn't robbed us blind I'll be glad to see the back of him because I trust him as far as I can throw Blackpool Tower. One thing is for sure - BWFC have lost a helluva lot of money during his tenure one way or another, the full extent of which we'll find out in the fullness of time, but whatever the damage there's no way it can be dressed up as having done a decent job.

We were losing more money before he arrived. I'd not say that indicates a good job was done. Just that we've been losing money since about 2005...and it was getting worse season by season.....

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

We were losing more money before he arrived. I'd not say that indicates a good job was done. Just that we've been losing money since about 2005...and it was getting worse season by season.....

Yes we were and are losing money and there were/are debts to be serviced so you'd think anyone coming in then would have had a plan which went far beyond renegotiating debt repayments, selling off assets,  cost cutting, withholding payments and general austerity whilst trying to increase merchandising sales via regular pleas to the fans.

To make the business sustainable - and accepting Anderson wasn't willing or able to inject capital - there are lots of things he could and should have done about the situation that didn't necessarily involve throwing cash at it which would involve some creativity and looking far beyond the traditional sports club income streams.

If he hadn't got the money to invest himself, he should have been busting a nut to develop a wide range of partnerships with developers, the Council, the community, other sports clubs locally and abroad, arts organisations, IT companies, charities - loads of possibilities - and looking into the synergies and mutually-beneficial partnerships that could build on the identity and revenue streams.

For example, he could have worked with the Council and developers to develop the peripheral land around the ground 

Or he could have filled the ground every week with kids for a quid/schools parties/community and charity groups etc and increased match day revenue whilst simultaneously improving the atmosphere, opening the door to serious sponsorship from youth/family-orientated and charitable organisations and developing the next generation of BWFC fans. Basically using a bit of creative thinking to work the assets in a way that would attract other funding - no matter how ridiculous the ideas seem at first glance. That stadium is empty most of the time (not talking about match days) so why aren't those assets being worked to death? Howard's writings suggested that there are more then one way to skin a cat, but in our situation we needed an owner who was able/willing to to find them.

He had the opportunity to be radically innovative, but instead chose to tighten without expanding elsewhere and worst of all sat by whilst he continued to lose us money in the full knowledge that unless he did something about it bankruptcy was inevitable. 

I'm hoping it was just a matter of incompetence and lack of ideas rather something more sinister. 

8 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

Yes we were and are losing money and there were/are debts to be serviced so you'd think anyone coming in then would have had a plan which went far beyond renegotiating debt repayments, selling off assets,  cost cutting, withholding payments and general austerity whilst trying to increase merchandising sales via regular pleas to the fans.

To make the business sustainable - and accepting Anderson wasn't willing or able to inject capital - there are lots of things he could and should have done about the situation that didn't necessarily involve throwing cash at it which would involve some creativity and looking far beyond the traditional sports club income streams.

If he hadn't got the money to invest himself, he should have been busting a nut to develop a wide range of partnerships with developers, the Council, the community, other sports clubs locally and abroad, arts organisations, IT companies, charities - loads of possibilities - and looking into the synergies and mutually-beneficial partnerships that could build on the identity and revenue streams.

For example, he could have worked with the Council and developers to develop the peripheral land around the ground 

Or he could have filled the ground every week with kids for a quid/schools parties/community and charity groups etc and increased match day revenue whilst simultaneously improving the atmosphere, opening the door to serious sponsorship from youth/family-orientated and charitable organisations and developing the next generation of BWFC fans. Basically using a bit of creative thinking to work the assets in a way that would attract other funding - no matter how ridiculous the ideas seem at first glance. That stadium is empty most of the time (not talking about match days) so why aren't those assets being worked to death? Howard's writings suggested that there are more then one way to skin a cat, but in our situation we needed an owner who was able/willing to to find them.

He had the opportunity to be radically innovative, but instead chose to tighten without expanding elsewhere and worst of all sat by whilst he continued to lose us money in the full knowledge that unless he did something about it bankruptcy was inevitable. 

I'm hoping it was just a matter of incompetence and lack of ideas rather something more sinister. 

Development plans would have cost money. PG was trying to persuade ED to invest in his grand redevelopment. Was a good plan but a long term one with initial investment not seeing a return for a while.

Filling the ground with kids for a quid reduces match day revenue....so that is nonsensical.

There are ways for long term investors to realise some return even without football success but all of them require either football success or hugely reduced costs. Ken was a short term cut and flip - when he couldn't manage the flip is when things became problematic.