Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Decent Horwich Boozers

MancWanderer

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Manc found the Ale House, has been in 4 hours, and to borrow one of satan’s phrases, is drinking contentedly. Reluctant to move until time for the restaurant. 

Didnt realise I’d  been here about 30/40 years ago. The Brown Cow??

Aye

Back in my day the brown cow was the easiest place to get served under age, more like a youth club than a pub, happy days

• 1 month later...

Probably struggling in the centre TBH - I think there is only the Crown and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for food as I've never tried it.

Personally I'd go to Curleys or the Jolly Crofters

Edited by Gonk

1 hour ago, Gonk said:

Probably struggling in the centre TBH - I think there is only the Crown and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for food as I've never tried it.

Personally I'd go to Curleys or the Jolly Crofters

The former is meagre on portions and expensive for a chippy.

Safe to say, they’ve got you by the Short n Curly’s.....

16 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

The former is meagre on portions and expensive for a chippy.

Safe to say, they’ve got you by the Short n Curly’s.....

Aye heard that too 

Crofters is usually decent though my bro knows of a time they tried to palm them off with what they hadn't ordered probably hoping they hadn't noticed 

Ate in crown years ago. Pretty standard pub fare 

• Site Supporter

Had the worst fish and chips ever in The Crown but had previously had a good chilli con carne there. 

Been meaning to try Curleys.

Had fish and chips in Jolly Crofters once and there was no fish inside the batter, obviously they changed it and apologised, was decent in the end.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Crofters is usually decent though my bro knows of a time they tried to palm them off with what they hadn't ordered probably hoping they hadn't noticed

aye, started off promising - good black pudding starter

3 of us ordered sunday roasts - lamb

they ran out of lamb, never told us, gave us pork instead

when we complained they said "sorry, we've ran out of lamb"

you can't just do shit like that what with allergies and relgious beliefs and all that

I'd go to curley's anyway

Just go to chill @ cowshed. Soup of the day and a decent sandwich for a fiver or there abouts. Think they do bottle beers /wine too but never been in for that. Walking distance to other boozers then. 

Edit : I would echo others go to curleys or Bob smithy for proper pub food but if it needs to be in Horwich Town centre I don't thinks there is owt decent. 

Edited by stevieb

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/04/2019 at 21:34, MancWanderer said:

Going into H Town after the match on sat for some beers and food. Must be over 25 years since I’ve been drinking there so no idea where to go

Recommendations of decent boozers gratefully accepted

Think we are eating at Max Italia(?). Any good? 

I'm off around the place on Saturday afternoon. Never done Horwich as a crawl before. Starting in Blackedge then probably over the road to the Tap & Cork. Think I'll be safe with them two as starters. After that it's boozer Russia roulette.

1 minute ago, Underpants said:

I'm off around the place on Saturday afternoon. Never done Horwich as a crawl before. Starting in Blackedge then probably over the road to the Tap & Cork. Think I'll be safe with them two as starters. After that it's boozer Russia roulette.

Should do the walk up to the Tap beneath the Trees at Rivington

• 2 years later...
  • Site Supporter

Decent enough Indian in Spice Valley, Il Toro used be good but not been for years. I really like Viva Espana but some don't rate it.

Is Sokrates still going? Folk used to rave about the place but the missus doesn't like Greek food so never been.

Edit: Yes I know, not much help! 😄

Edited by Winchester White

• Members
7 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Reet. Out in H Town after that charity match in November with a couple of pals not seen for years. Boozers sorted but restaurant recommendations?

Sokrates? Viva Espana? Any cop or better sticking to one of the tank reversers?

Went to sokrates last Saturday and had the meze and a few mythos. Can't go wrong.