Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxlade chamberlain / Bebe

Mona

I remember a young Jamaican being housed by the club

the house had trees and Bebe freaked, as trees had snakes in his homeland

it wasn’t a million pound house in Cheshire 

Last year I was in Jamaica,our taxi driver was 20 years old and his biggest hero was Ricardo Gardiner and he followed the Whites

Bebe had trained and coached his best friend and his best friend was now playing in America

When Oxlade Chamberlain finally realises what life is about, he should take a leaf out of Bebe’s book. 

14 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Bibi.

Bebe was the homeless guy who signed for United

Actually 

Bebe with an acute e

Division One: Blackburn Rovers v Bolton Wanderers - Neil Bramwell's preview

THEY still call him Bebe at the Reebok Stadium, but Ricardo Gardner is quickly reaching footballing maturity.

1 minute ago, Mona said:

Actually 

Bebe with an acute e

THEY still call him Bebe at the Reebok Stadium, but Ricardo Gardner is quickly reaching footballing maturity.

Description

Ricardo Wayne Gardner, commonly known as Bibi, is a retired Jamaican footballer. He works as assistant coach at Portmore United. A left winger, he could also play in the centre of midfield or at left wingback. Wikipedia

With a name like Ricardo Wayne, I reckon he was actually from Breightmet all along. 

Remember on the flight from Milan to Macedonia - probably only a 27 seater and about 15 whites on the plane and this black guy gets on with dread locks. Some fucker at the back plane shouts out 'its Ricky Gardner' and we all pissed ourselves. The guy hadn't a clue what all the laughter was about

Always a favourite of mine was Gardner; compared with the shower of shit we have at the moment he was a world beater

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

Mad how sometimes you just can’t take to a player when others love him. 

Great guy and professional and ace going forward but maybe I was a nervous wreck at the time but all that was outweighed by shitting my pants every time he was asked to defend. 

Suppose I was bought up on full backs being full backs. 

Reckon he’d go for a few quid nowadays 

12 hours ago, Mona said:

Actually 

Bebe with an acute e

Defining Bibi. Bebe is a DMB.

For posterity:

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, gonzo said:

Mad how sometimes you just can’t take to a player when others love him. 

Great guy and professional and ace going forward but maybe I was a nervous wreck at the time but all that was outweighed by shitting my pants every time he was asked to defend. 

Suppose I was bought up on full backs being full backs. 

Reckon he’d go for a few quid nowadays 

I’m the same, shit my kex when he got moved back, never felt safe with him. Would love him back now though - a country mile better than anyone else at the club

One of my favourite players in his time here. When he was playing left back i always thought he was surprisingly sound defensively. It was when he got in a crossing position i was thinking what the fuck's gonna happen here 😂. I recall him having a good few blinders in centre mid too. Shame about the injuries.

Edited by deane koontz

12 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Remember on the flight from Milan to Macedonia - probably only a 27 seater and about 15 whites on the plane and this black guy gets on with dread locks. Some fucker at the back plane shouts out 'its Ricky Gardner' and we all pissed ourselves. The guy hadn't a clue what all the laughter was about

Always a favourite of mine was Gardner; compared with the shower of shit we have at the moment he was a world beater

Yeah hilarious

Was in Florida last month and ordered an Uber to take us to Seaworld. 

I jumped in the cab wearing a pair of Bolton shorts and the Jamaican driver, just said "Bolton Wanderers? You heard of Ricardo Gardner?"

We had a cracking 20 minute chat about him and BWFC in general. He says Ricardo is an absolute hero back in Jamaica for his exploits with us.

10 minutes ago, Traf said:

Was in Florida last month and ordered an Uber to take us to Seaworld. 

I jumped in the cab wearing a pair of Bolton shorts and the Jamaican driver, just said "Bolton Wanderers? You heard of Ricardo Gardner?"

We had a cracking 20 minute chat about him and BWFC in general. He says Ricardo is an absolute hero back in Jamaica for his exploits with us.

Superb. 

I did an accidental racism years ago in Florida whilst wearing a Wanderers top. Went to an IHOP for breakfast and the Korean guy serving me spotted the badge and said "oh I love Bolton. My favourite player plays there" and so I went "yeah Chungy is ace" but then he said "no Stu Holden" and then accused me of racially profiling him which I suppose I did

2 hours ago, Kane57 said:

Superb. 

I did an accidental racism years ago in Florida whilst wearing a Wanderers top. Went to an IHOP for breakfast and the Korean guy serving me spotted the badge and said "oh I love Bolton. My favourite player plays there" and so I went "yeah Chungy is ace" but then he said "no Stu Holden" and then accused me of racially profiling him which I suppose I did

Classy.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Wouldn’t argue with his Mam

Mates dad used to get free tickets to every  match home and away in return for picking her up and dropping her off home 

12 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Mates dad used to get free tickets to every  match home and away in return for picking her up and dropping her off home 

I remember her and a girl being on one of the coaches going to an away game

cant see oxlade chamberlains mum roughing it with the rest of us

fair play to Mama Gardner 

Shed be welcome in my house anytime

Ricky's mum was certainly a character, wasn't she called Hyacinth or something similar. The story about lizards is right, she went to view a lovely house in Lostock but ran out screaming because she saw a squirrel in the tree and thought it was a lizard.

Ricky ended up living in JJ's old house for years on CNR and made a bob or two when it sold even though he had spent a bit on it himself.

Top lad and forever a Wanderer.