Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Prostate Cancer Fund Raiser

fishbulb

Thanks Mike. It is! This week will be my last big week of training before tapering down. I've started getting up early and doing 5 miles on the moor with the dogs. Then a short run at dinner from work. Then a longer run at night on the moor again. Up to Lakes on Friday night to do some 'proper' stuff.  I'm aiming to have done 70 - 80 miles this week. The most I've ever done. The rest of my life revolves around eating and sleeping.

It'll be nice to do summat like a Parkrun once this nonsense is over. Cheers!

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, fishbulb said:

Thanks Mike. It is! This week will be my last big week of training before tapering down. I've started getting up early and doing 5 miles on the moor with the dogs. Then a short run at dinner from work. Then a longer run at night on the moor again. Up to Lakes on Friday night to do some 'proper' stuff.  I'm aiming to have done 70 - 80 miles this week. The most I've ever done. The rest of my life revolves around eating and sleeping.

It'll be nice to do summat like a Parkrun once this nonsense is over. Cheers!

Nice one Forest!

Just to let you know how it's going. I managed to get 80.5 miles training done last week. The 0.5 is important. On Saturday I took the Mrs and the dogs to have a look at a bit of the last Leg of the Challenge so she could have an idea of what I was up against. If you zoom in where Sam is looking you can see the Mrs and t'other dog on the way up just to give you some idea of the scale.

Wind.jpg

Stayed up in the Lakes yesterday and did last big run before tapering. Got 17 miles and 6. 600' climb in. Bloody glorious day. Had a couple of RAF fighter jets provide a private air show, screaming over Black Sail pass fully banked over. That was fucking brilliant!

Air.jpg

Ran the whole of Leg 4 plus a bit either side to get back to my van. Pretty shagged at the end of it and very sun burnt. Good day on the hill though. Now I will ease off loads leading up to the big day on the 8th.

Middle.jpg

I can honestly say that I have put everything I have into this. If I'm still not fit enough to succeed then I don't know what else I can do. I am still trying to get a few more quid raised so if anyone can spare anything at all then please see the Just Giving link at the start of this. Cheers.

Yes, F-35's. Christ they were loud! We were pretty close to them too the first time we saw them. You could see the trails coming off the edges of the wings. Really impressive.

Nowt too scientific. I generally eat shit loads anyway so it's a good excuse to keep that up. I just keep cramming the calories in. I'm pretty light anyway but have lost a bit doing this so I can afford to put a bit back on while I taper.

Edited by fishbulb

The weather is the big concern. If it is bad up there it can be bloody dangerous. Last weekend a mate had to bin his attempt on the Bob Graham Round after 22 hours of shite (And a bloke died on Scafell). If it is *really* bad then I will have to postpone it. Fingers crossed the forecast will improve by KO at 5.00am Saturday.

Edited by fishbulb

So, after all the blathering on about it on here I finally did it. The forecast was pretty bad but it was the only time I could get all my pacers/helpers lined up so decision was made. Didn’t sleep much the night before with rain hammering on the roof of the van parked up in pub car park. To cut a long story short the weather was bloody grim (rain, strong winds and poor visibility) for first two legs but I was going well. Leg 3 was claggy but the rain was stopping. The cumulative effect began to weigh on me and at Bowfell I had a low point and had to dig deep. After that it got to harder terrain and was a slog. Leg 4 heading into the finish and I was losing the very few minutes I was up in schedule. By the very last hill, Middle Fell, it was touch and go whether I’d make it. My legs and feet were ruined by now but my support were screaming at me to keep going. I managed to get to Greendale Bridge with 2 minutes and 3 seconds of my allotted 15 hours remaining. I was delighted to be welcomed in by fell running legend Joss Naylor. I am in a bit of a state now but I’ll recover and it will be an epic day that lives long in the memory. I have also raised about £1500 for Prostate UK. I was very pleased but in no way surprised to get such generous donations from WWers. The best of folk. Thank you all.

Top effort Fishbulb.👏👏👏

Got collared at Southampton airport for a monthly payment for prostrate , usually do one charity and change every couple of years, last one was woodland trust. Next ones gonna be Dianne oxberry for ovarian cancer as that did for my mum. 

Also sponsor my mates charity which is charity soul. 

www.charitysoul.co.uk

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• The topic was unpinned