Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton council goes Conservative

Moon boy

2 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Does anyone moaning about 'asylum seekers' in Bolton know any btw? What they've been through, or the terms and conditions they live under here?

I do, I sometimes have to work in these properties 

I don’t know what they’ve been through, and in a way that is irrelevant, most of them are lovely people trying to live in peace in a foreign country

The conditions they live  under and the houses/flats they live in are very well appointed with all mod cons, they are well looked after by the Council, in my opinion, to the detriment of Bolton born poor families, this is a Bolton Council policy.

Do we live in a wealthy town?

Local ‘milltowns’ Bolton, Bury Rochdale ect have taken more than the Uk’s Fair share of  asylum seeker/ refugee’s this has been a deliberate Labour Council  policy, is that fair?

• Site Supporter

Agree. It's just a matter of pragmatism. Whatever they've been through isn't the issue.

We've a housing stock that is insufficient for demand and a high population density.

Doesn't matter what 'colour' folk are or nationality etc. Too many in too small a space with inadequate supporting infrastructure leads to problems.

@Moon boy

The council workmen must be pulling their tripe out for the asylum seekers then, a good portion of them do a wank job (for social housing tenants) until they clock off and go on a 'foreigner' (usually using material commandeered from the day job).

I was more on about not being able to work and very little to live on, they're expected to share accommodation with strangers etc. - not the worst terms and conditions by a long chalk (and they're by and large grateful and uncomplaining) but not the cushy lifestyle portrayed by certain parties.

I'm no fan of the lop-sided implementation of the Gateway scheme, Labour have this misty-eyed Ken Loach style view of the oppressed of all backgrounds joining hands and skipping down the road in unity - it doesn't work in reality, however, by hook or by crook it's our towns that pick up the slack, done right it should be a source of pride for us natives in these towns, and a mark of shame for wealthier areas who only welcome outsiders if they can nurse, nanny, plaster a wall or make a flat white.  If it is policy that there is preferential treatment regarding social housing allocation then this policy needs looking at.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Agree. It's just a matter of pragmatism. Whatever they've been through isn't the issue.

We've a housing stock that is insufficient for demand and a high population density.

Doesn't matter what 'colour' folk are or nationality etc. Too many in too small a space with inadequate supporting infrastructure leads to problems.

Bang on, too many houses in our town already, we need greenspace more than houses and weve got our rota of asylum seekers.  Other towns havent pulled their weight like we have, perhaps we could share all ours with Wigan, who dont seem to welcome them with open arms like we do.

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Unfettered capitalism needs constant growth, constant growth needs new consumers, we live on a finite planet.

Sling in the fact the UK (Germany etc.) have ageing populations and I long since came to the conclusion we're fucked in the not too long term.

There's a shack filled with automatic rifles in the middle of the Sonoran desert with my name in it.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Bang on, too many houses in our town already, we need greenspace more than houses and weve got our rota of asylum seekers.  Other towns havent pulled their weight like we have, perhaps we could share all ours with Wigan, who dont seem to welcome them with open arms like we do.

You'll have no doubt noticed the creep over recent years. Bradley fold- new estates on brownfield site (Mather and Platt and old railway) is fine but also swallowed farmland.

Darcy lever more farmland and greenspace gone.

Now just off Bolton/Bury new road heading into Bury. A big development going a long way back using up farmland.

Now plans for another huge development near Elton reservoir. Again covering farmland. This latter area is typically wet and acts as a means of mitigating flood risks. Build on it, and increase run off, pushing more water downstream which may fuck up places in Radcliffe, Ringley etc.

The relaxation of green belt development laws and regulations is a fucking disgrace - big fuck off executive houses, often blocking views for the general plebs and/or being blots on the landscape has fuck all to do with solving the housing crisis and everything to do with Tory twats looking after their monied pals.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You know what I meant - the subcontractors they employ.

Bolton at home. Are they really that bad, never really had the opportunity to see much of the work?

As for your capitalism comments, this brings us back toward the climate change thread. Our whole economy needs to adjust to a more sustainable, environmentally responsible system. But that doesn't mean forcing everyone to live on lentils or glue themselves to buildings.

I'm not a great fan of consumerism, for me that isn't necessarily part of capitalism.

I've had a brief look at some of the stuff associated with that Larch Maxey fella Miami showed elsewhere.

Some merits of it no doubt, though he then goes off politically which turns folk off. Won't help to get the population behind necessary changes.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

The relaxation of green belt development laws and regulations is a fucking disgrace - big fuck off executive houses, often blocking views for the general plebs and/or being blots on the landscape has fuck all to do with solving the housing crisis and everything to do with Tory twats looking after their monied pals.

If you want to solve housing crises, then you have to build new ones or reduce the population.

True enough, they are largely for private use, but are also required to build an amount of social housing.

It is too easy to use greenbelt, would like to see town centres (like ours) redeveloped. Politicising it is unhelpful though.

They're fucking shite, the housing association subbies too. There's definitely a two tier system in regard to their work, they wouldn't dare do such shoddy practices in the private sphere.

I agree people can't be forced to be more responsible - but there's so much money and influence behind the 'consume' til we burn' side that for a lot of folk militancy seems the only solution.

We're fucked imo, for example McDonalds make a mosquito's cock sized dent in their ecological impact by introducing paper straws and 45,000 selfish myopic twats sign a petition demanding they return to plastic - we're fucked.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you want to solve housing crises, then you have to build new ones or reduce the population.

True enough, they are largely for private use, but are also required to build an amount of social housing.

It is too easy to use greenbelt, would like to see town centres (like ours) redeveloped. Politicising it is unhelpful though.

I'm on about huge ones like those on the ridge of Old Kiln Lane - which probably have the footprint of a small close of social housing but for one house and a family of three or four...

The green and pleasant land should remain so, they should build their tacky mansions on brownfield like the plebs have to.

• Site Supporter

You may be right, though I believe it will change, even if out of necessity.

Social attitudes are the starting point. Talking of greenspace why, why is it deemed acceptable by (usually young) folk to chuck ale cans and bottles about and leave their litter behind?

Or set fire to the grass with BBQs or out of spite?

If they're prepared to shit on their own doorstep what hope have we of producing the necessary changes?

Remember in the world cup, after celebrating success, Japan/Korean fans clearing up after themselves. A completely different attitude.

Just a few decades ago we weren't like this, and it's so disappointing.

27 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You'll have no doubt noticed the creep over recent years. Bradley fold- new estates on brownfield site (Mather and Platt and old railway) is fine but also swallowed farmland.

Darcy lever more farmland and greenspace gone.

Now just off Bolton/Bury new road heading into Bury. A big development going a long way back using up farmland.

Now plans for another huge development near Elton reservoir. Again covering farmland. This latter area is typically wet and acts as a means of mitigating flood risks. Build on it, and increase run off, pushing more water downstream which may fuck up places in Radcliffe, Ringley etc.

Spoiling our landscapes in such a rapid way really is making me consider moving to another nearby town.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

I think there's more littering (and other selfish behaviour) but less cleanup also.

Does my head in regardless*

There is less cleanup. Fewer people to do it.

Should really need any. Just think of the redirection of finances to other needy services if cunts didn't waz their shit about.

In future there should be chips in all packaging - linked to the purchasers details. All the crap from cleanups goes through a big scanner and the chuckers get a bill.

Ecofascism - it's the future.

I'll second that, with the car registration laser stamped on all packaging from all the drive through's.  6pts for your shit being picked up.  

7 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I'll second that, with the car registration laser stamped on all packaging from all the drive through's.  6pts for your shit being picked up.  

They're amongst the worst culprits - park up,  eat their takeaway/chippy/butty shop etc. food, make a nice little bundle of all their shit - including leftovers for the rats, wind down their window and 'the world is my dustbin'...

Cunts.

They're amongst the worst culprits - park up,  eat their takeaway/chippy/butty shop etc. food, make a nice little bundle of all their shit - including leftovers for the rats, wind down their window and 'the world is my dustbin'...

Cunts.

One of my pals threw chips, peas n gravy back into one car in Tonge Fold, it went everywhere apparently.  No doubting his word, hes a man mountain.

1 hour ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Poor souls shouldn’t be sent to Wigan