Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First football “Special Train” you went on

miamiwhite

10 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Quiggers - as in chap whos mam and dad had a boozer in Blackburn??

belting bloke - went to a few aways crammed in the back of his Thwaites van

Yes, a top man & mad keen Wanderers' fan.

The day of the promotion at Blackburn, that pub ( The Duke of Edinburgh ?? maybe not ) was heaving with Bolton fans all day.

19 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Aye pissed wet through on that open away end .....stood next to copper who clapped when we snatched a 3-3....Pompey fan

We were in the stands. Standing in the rain would have been one step to far for the ex. 

I remember jumping up and she just sat there, totally unmoved (Salforder) so I turned to a bloke next to me, who I’d never met before and gave him a big hug. 

I went on a few in the 70s remember pulling up in Preston right next to a train full of manure they shit themselves when we all jumped onto their train and started kicking their arses and then all jumped back on ours just as it was going to leave the station that was funny.

1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Aye pissed wet through on that open away end .....stood next to copper who clapped when we snatched a 3-3....Pompey fan

we were in the covered section down the side but you couldn't see all the pitch. Great game and JB pulling the ball through the mud to make it 3-3 was brilliant. Lost 2-0 in the replay during the 3 day week and afternoon kick off

24 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

we were in the covered section down the side but you couldn't see all the pitch. Great game and JB pulling the ball through the mud to make it 3-3 was brilliant. Lost 2-0 in the replay during the 3 day week and afternoon kick off

You couldn't see all the pitch from all of the open end, some of which was on a level or lower than the pitch !!

I had a sheepskin on, & it rained that hard that it soaked in to the coat & i could hardly walk under the weight of it :)

Been on loads, the Pompey one was crazy, stayed in Bolton all night on the piss and ended up in a dive of a nightclub. The train left at seven in the morning and only reached Portsmouth a couple of hours before kick off. I think everybody had about a dozen cans each in bags.

4 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Yes, a top man & mad keen Wanderers' fan.

The day of the promotion at Blackburn, that pub ( The Duke of Edinburgh ?? maybe not ) was heaving with Bolton fans all day.

Think that’s the pub

was in there about 10am that morning

great day and night

Went to Oldham 1980, they had been recently streamed by shef wed and were ripe for the pickings.

We were plentiful and breezed through the chaddy, however, train home was interesting as there is a little station near the ground, most white on special but careful the man on the service Train!.

Used to travel all the time to aways on the train due to the 'cheap awayday '    ticket via BR employees.

One time I think it was Notts County ( we lost 1-0 Don Masson as I recollect)

The train was stopped in the middle of nowhere & the railway police checked every ticket on the train.

When it came to my turn I just blurted out the name Howard M*****g 51 S***y Lane Hindley as my id  & address  a piece of info drummed in my skull over several years .

Cheers Howard I hope you are well even though you were never  a wanderer.

• Members

Choo-choo wankers ;) Went everywhere by car. Do have a few recollections of train journeys - especially in the early days before car travel became an option. A Christmas one to Hillsborough a special?

Also have vague memories of cutting cut price inter city ticket vouchers off washing powder boxes?

9 hours ago, itdiddidit? said:

went to hull on one in the 80s think it was in the fa cup.

george oghani landed on the other platform as we were waiting and ran off looking like he was late for the players coach. 

Went on that, as per usual more were on it coming back than went 

• Site Supporter

First "Special" was to West Brom the season after they were relegated from First Division. Every toilet roll went in pockets for later use at the game...

That wasn't the best idea folk ever had!

Second "Special" was the Southampton game with the CS Gas incident.

Done plenty of freebies on scheduled trains when I worked at Horwich Loco Works 78-82. Norwich, Brizzle City, Ipswich, QPR amongst others.

My first experience of a proper " Special " was the Brentford trip in 75/6 that got back so late - about 1.30am - that a lot of people could not get home as their cars were locked overnight in car parks. 

We , like many others were met by worried parents outside on Trinity Street 

One of the more amusing experiences on British Rail was the 1985 Freight Rover Final 

British Transport Police had imposed an Alcohol banning order on the Manchester - London Euston Service to prevent trouble

We arrived at Piccadilly with carrier bags full of Beer bedecked in our Wanderers colours  to be greeted by smiling police officers thinking they had outwitted us , only for them to find to their horror that we had booked on a train that ran from Manchester to Brighton that called at Watford Junction , but not Euston ,  on which they had forgotten to impose a banning order . 

Was good to see several hundred other Wanderers fans on that train that had the same idea , and there was a smug satisfaction as we left Piccadilly singing out of the windows to the police and waving to those on the  "Dry " train on the opposite platform 

Travelled on the train also to the Freight Rover final , plenty booze on that one .

Played cards all the way down games such as seven card brag & queenie nowt lethal until Watford junction when my mate decided that three card brag & shoot should be introduced.

He had lost every penny by the time we got to Euston .Needed bailing out with ale money though ....prick !

Reading these threads bringing back all the good memories when we travelled in numbers and it was a pleasure going to games makes me really want our club 'back'.

This coming season I definitely will be doing a lot of aways regardless of our starting position with the deducted points. 

Can someone with lots of investment buy us and get us proud again soon? 

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Travelled on the train also to the Freight Rover final , plenty booze on that one .

Played cards all the way down games such as seven card brag & queenie nowt lethal until Watford junction when my mate decided that three card brag & shoot should be introduced.

He had lost every penny by the time we got to Euston .Needed bailing out with ale money though ....prick !

Nowt at all to do with football but I once went in Craven Heifer at Astley Bridge with a mate and ended up in a card school. Took £20 out of my wallet for playing and took my seat. 3 card brag started. As an aside, who the fuck invented the rule that you couldn't turn a blind man? Anyway, during a piss break I reckon I had about £120 in my pockets; all winnings. Knowing the other "rule" that you don't walk away without giving everyone chance to win their cash back. After a quick discussion around the table, and me declaring I was "a couple of quid up" not a single person admitted to being down; certainly not £100. 
We carried on playing and I deliberately played like a dick, losing game after game until I'd lost around £30 of my profits. Everyone seemed happy that I was a shit player so allowed me to leave with their £70.

Beer mixed with a belief that you're the world's greatest exponent of 3-card brag equates to never admitting you lost.