Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

gonzo

Just now, Pablo said:

Just merge ffs

I know its tongue in cheek but what Would be the point , when their average gate about 2500k? non of whom would continue to attend, the only merger that would make sense would be all the Lancashire town teams, Burnley, Bolton, Preston, Wigan, Blackburn, Bury, It will never happen but think it is becoming clear that all these town clubs will disappear over the next 20-30 years, super clubs will be the only way forward.  

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I know its tongue in cheek but what Would be the point , when their average gate about 2500k? non of whom would continue to attend, the only merger that would make sense would be all the Lancashire town teams, Burnley, Bolton, Preston, Wigan, Blackburn, Bury, It will never happen but think it is becoming clear that all these town clubs will disappear over the next 20-30 years, super clubs will be the only way forward.  

See I don't agree: there will be a gradual shift to a more sustainable model amongst many clubs. That includes some in the premier league: after all they might have a lot of income, but if they spend it all and still don't get anywhere in terms of success, they gain nowt.

I could see a separation in terms of a few super clubs as you describe it, but even then how long before it becomes boring for their fans, unaffordable trips to Europe for away games and no success (utd).

The fa and the clubs could arrange this quicker by not waiting for each other to cut their cloth accordingly.

26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

See I don't agree: there will be a gradual shift to a more sustainable model amongst many clubs. That includes some in the premier league: after all they might have a lot of income, but if they spend it all and still don't get anywhere in terms of success, they gain nowt.

I could see a separation in terms of a few super clubs as you describe it, but even then how long before it becomes boring for their fans, unaffordable trips to Europe for away games and no success (utd).

The fa and the clubs could arrange this quicker by not waiting for each other to cut their cloth accordingly.

Hope you are right, my view is while many clubs will still survive it won’t be in a state to ever challenge on the top table, especially old traditional Lancashire clubs who are surrounded by the 3 giants, sadly core town support for these clubs is leeching towards the big clubs.  

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Hope you are right, my view is while many clubs will still survive it won’t be in a state to ever challenge on the top table, especially old traditional Lancashire clubs who are surrounded by the 3 giants, sadly core town support for these clubs is leeching towards the big clubs.  

Aye, can see that.

Thing is, not all players can play for the top few.

If they want a career in football, then they'll still have to play lower down, just for a bit/lot less money.

Similarly, not all fans can watch, the big clubs sell out as it is.

Maybe a cultural shift back to the provincial teams, so long as they offer a reasonable product at a decent price.

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye, can see that.

Thing is, not all players can play for the top few.

If they want a career in football, then they'll still have to play lower down, just for a bit/lot less money.

Similarly, not all fans can watch, the big clubs sell out as it is.

Maybe a cultural shift back to the provincial teams, so long as they offer a reasonable product at a decent price.

I'm inclined to agree. There are too many clubs who have chased the glory paying for it now. If we get through this situation, it must never be allowed to happen again by whoever the owner at the time happens to be.

If that means paying players buttons in comparison to now and only affording a L2 team, so be it. We won't be the only club who has to do that and it would all level out again, once more and more clubs reach the same conclusion

20 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Jesus thats a depressing though, RIP football.

11 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

That's a wet dream for those who want a European Super League 

correct, and it'll end up being the way things go - I've thought for a while that as soon as one club goes pop, a load more will follow. Ultimately, the only way for clubs like ours to survive, and actually compete, maybe to merge with one or two of our rivals - we might not like it, but give it 20 or 30 years, and nobody would give a fuck, and would happily support a team called Lancashire FC (or whatever it might end up being called)

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Wife's best mates lad, Joe Adams has just moved from Bury to Brentford. An ardent Bolton fan but totally ignored by his home town club. 

I bet he's very glad about that as things stand

16 minutes ago, Sweep said:

correct, and it'll end up being the way things go - I've thought for a while that as soon as one club goes pop, a load more will follow. Ultimately, the only way for clubs like ours to survive, and actually compete, maybe to merge with one or two of our rivals - we might not like it, but give it 20 or 30 years, and nobody would give a fuck, and would happily support a team called Lancashire FC (or whatever it might end up being called)

It's a grotesque thought and I'd be long finished with the game if it got to that stage, but I just wonder with so many super rich owners where the huge emphasis is on European and global domination and where they see models such as NFL with few teams per state, that why would some billionaire Saudi (other nationalities are available) give a fuck about the cries from any peasant-like club 3 divisions below who may have a total global fanbase in the tens of thousands maximum?

They won't, it'd be a built it and they will come mentality. They'll moan for a bit but in the end they'll come round to watching Manchester United or Liverpool play Boca Juniors, Sydney FC, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich for league points.

I've had too much sugar this morning.

23 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Yep I think you are right.  A family friend of ours who used to come to the match with us in the 70's was saying this thirty years ago and I used to argue that it would never happen. However, I believe for many small towns around Manchester and Lancashire it will soon be a case of merge or die.

• Site Supporter

Nah.

The game will change and cut its cloth accordingly. Possible some one goes bust, but they will change out of necessity. Maybe a change in culture to offer a broader matchday experience, to attract younger fans, but it's not fan numbers that is really the issue, it's spending beyond means to players.