Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

gonzo

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It would, but it doesn't address the real issue: clubs overspending.

correct, no matter how much you give these clubs, they would over spend. It's going to take a big club or two to get liquidated to make anything change  -  I fear we might be that club, but if we are, then we've really only got ourselves to blame (as has any club that goes bust, nobody makes them offer these ludicrous contracts to players)

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It would, but it doesn't address the real issue: clubs overspending.

Aye and it's why most teams in the prem are just happy to stay up

If say Bournemouth were to go and didn't come straight back up they would be fucked 

But they've been there numerous times before so should be at least used to it 

5 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Yep I think you are right.  A family friend of ours who used to come to the match with us in the 70's was saying this thirty years ago and I used to argue that it would never happen. However, I believe for many small towns around Manchester and Lancashire it will soon be a case of merge or die.

I'll take die over merge

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

correct, no matter how much you give these clubs, they would over spend. It's going to take a big club or two to get liquidated to make anything change  -  I fear we might be that club, but if we are, then we've really only got ourselves to blame (as has any club that goes bust, nobody makes them offer these ludicrous contracts to players)

I was always of that mind, that the " clubs" get what's coming to them, and I had little sympathy. But it's not the club's fault, it's potentially some bloke who has no more connection or vested interest in it than I have in a rugby club. If I won £5mil, I could buy Leigh RL, give out a load of 5 year contracts on £20k a week, then leave after 6 months taking my money with me, if there's any left. Leigh then go bust because they can't pay their players. How is that the fault of Leigh RL? 

Bury entered the league in 1894 and won the second division by 9 points, and conceded less goals 33 (in 30 matches) than any club in either division.

Notts County finished second (who they?) with Newton Heath third (after their first 2 seasons at the bottom of division one). The newly named Manchester City (formerly Ardwick) came ninth. 

Leicester Fosse were fourth, ahead of Grimsby Town, Darwen, Burton Wanderers and Woolwich Arsenal.

They make Ken's musings seem quite sedate.

Presumably, despite the cva, they too have to pay their football creditors in full. This latest petition was from ex coach and all round calamity Chris Brass, who will surely get all his cash anyway if they aren't liquidated?