Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

gonzo

1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

They've got 8 or 9 months to set up a phoenix club, sort out a ground or rental for Gigg Lane and then hopefully get a place in the North West Counties

The problem is mate who's going to pay all that debt off to take over a lower division non league club.

This Steve Dale character , whether he is ultimately to blame or not is going to be a fucking targeted man.

Folk are talking about Bury droppping to divisions just below the EFL, but I can't see how they'd be allowed to jump the queue as it would be unfair on teams fighting for promotion to those leagues. Surely they have to go to the very bottom and start again - which would happen to us if the worst happens. AFC Wimbledon started in level 10.

• Moderators

The non-league pyramid is being restructured, Warrington missed out on promotion to Conf North because of it.

There’s a new Step 4 league round here next year (league above Counties). But that means taking the place of another team, 3 up from the Counties this year.

Who knows what level a team could be parachuted into. I just don’t know.

It's disgusting. The EFL have allowed it to happen on their watch. The whole of this sport needs a serious look at because these are people passions, town's lifeblood and pages of history and lore rolled into one. No matter what your opinion of Bury FC, a little part of our history dies with them tonight. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Carlos said:

The non-league pyramid is being restructured, Warrington missed out on promotion to Conf North because of it.

There’s a new Step 4 league round here next year (league above Counties). But that means taking the place of another team, 3 up from the Counties this year.

Who knows what level a team could be parachuted into. I just don’t know.

I know you know non league but they arent sticking a team with 5k fans in division 26

6 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Just looked, Hereford's phoenix club went in at level 9 - they were getting 4k for some home games

The original club was accepted into the Southern League Premier, two divisions below the Conference they were booted out of. Then then almost immediately went bust and dropped further.

Who knows. I haven't got through the 1,000 page thread on Bury ways, so I'm no expert on their finances. But they haven't been liquidated (yet) and if they can find a new owner will still be Bury FC playing at Gigg Lane, and I imagine in that case they'd jump back in higher than if starting from scratch.

Thought it was interesting to hear the Labour MP for Bury saying on GMR earlier that the only way anyone would be allowed to bulldoze Gigg Lane and develop the land would be if they provided the town's football club with an equivalent or better stadium.

28 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Sure, but why should a properly run club miss out on a legitimate promotion? Totally wrong.

My point exactly and it highlights what getting kicked out of the league means - several divisions below Chorley.

But AFC Wimbledon have come back from oblivion and their fans I know to say it's sweeter than ever.

28 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Sure, but why should a properly run club miss out on a legitimate promotion? Totally wrong.

Why do they let muppets control clubs higher up? I know there is no definitive answer but non league are as guilty as the league for screwing over clubs. Also I suspect sadly some non league club/s will go to the wall. 

I hope it doesn’t happen obviously Bury would cause mayhem all over the show. I feel sick saying it but if it was us x10

1 hour ago, Gonk said:

only 3 go down now. Us and who else?

that's defeatist. 

Apropos of something similar , searching for news on bury. I just got news that Wolves fans are seemingly pissed off that us (bolton) arent as , erm, fucked . 

:lol: theyre still suffering from chris fairclough concusion. 

• Site Supporter

Gutted for Bury, I really hope we don’t get that same treatment. I’ve never had a problem with them except when we play them which I could say for several other local teams.

Theres quite a few people going to be unemployed this morning with mortgages to pay and bills which need sorting. Never mind many people who have just lost a huge part of their lives.

Football needs to take a long hard look at itself - it’s gone way past being a game. 

23 minutes ago, Spider said:

I thought they could apply for League 2?

we might be playing them next season

No, they have to apply to the FA who will decide where in the pyramid to place them. A lot will depend on whether someone buys the current club and pays the debt off as in this scenario they retain their FA registration number (more vital than you’d think) and are then considered a new club. Setting up AFC Bury - no mean feat in itself although you’d expect Forever Bury might have planned for this - would probably get in to the North West Counties as long as they put in an early application and there are vacancies.