Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

gonzo

On 15/10/2019 at 10:18, Leyther_Matt said:

Chester were formed as a new club but were able to enter at NPL Division One, partly because they’d secured a lease at the Deva (thanks to the council).

Darlington formed as a new club, but because they were groundsharing elsewhere rather than moving to their original ground, they hard to start another couple of divisions down. 

That said, Hereford got use of their old ground and still had to start at the bottom. 

A lot will depend on how the club are reformed in some ways. If it is going to be as a business-headed consortium then a decent illustration of investment will bump them up a league or two. If they’re a fan-owned club then they’ll have to demonstrate a serious number of members, and even then 2,000+ wasn’t enough for FC Utd or Wimbledon to start any higher up.  

stick them in above Atherton Colls i say....too many folk backing that wigan offspring these days and forgetting their club 

• Site Supporter

Just received an email from Bury FC regarding a possible phoenix club.

Gigglane.com is supporting this initiative. 

Yesterday, the Phoenix Club launched a survey to consult fans on the new club.

This is your opportunity to influence the future direction for Bury Phoenix Club. They would like to know your feelings, thoughts and opinions about the direction the Phoenix Club takes.

It would be great if you could spend 5 minutes of your time to let them know.

Over 700 people have already completed the survey in one day!

If you haven't completed it yet, please do so at the link below:

Bury Phoenix Club - Supporter Survey

Your answers count. The Phoenix Club slogan is 'By the Fans, For the Fans' – and for that to be more than just words, they need your views. So, grab yourself a cuppa in your favourite football mug, find a few moments when you can reflect on your life as a Bury supporter and together let’s get to work with shaking things up. 

If this is the first time you have heard about the Phoenix Club (where have you been?!) you can read more at www.buryphoenix.co.uk - especially the FAQ section which will explain more about the club.

Many thanks

The Gigglane.com team

#forthefans #bythefans

13 hours ago, MickyD said:

Just received an email from Bury FC regarding a possible phoenix club.

Gigglane.com is supporting this initiative. 

Yesterday, the Phoenix Club launched a survey to consult fans on the new club.

This is your opportunity to influence the future direction for Bury Phoenix Club. They would like to know your feelings, thoughts and opinions about the direction the Phoenix Club takes.

It would be great if you could spend 5 minutes of your time to let them know.

Over 700 people have already completed the survey in one day!

If you haven't completed it yet, please do so at the link below:

Bury Phoenix Club - Supporter Survey

Your answers count. The Phoenix Club slogan is 'By the Fans, For the Fans' – and for that to be more than just words, they need your views. So, grab yourself a cuppa in your favourite football mug, find a few moments when you can reflect on your life as a Bury supporter and together let’s get to work with shaking things up. 

If this is the first time you have heard about the Phoenix Club (where have you been?!) you can read more at www.buryphoenix.co.uk - especially the FAQ section which will explain more about the club.

Many thanks

The Gigglane.com team

#forthefans #bythefans

Presumably there's an option to have them as our nominated B team and play their games at Leyland?

• 1 month later...

Anyone seen the latest going ons?  Lots of infighting with separate groups and interested parties all chucking their two pennorth in.  It's rapidly starting to look like the situation many said we'd have been in had we gone bust. 

In summary; Some groups want to start afresh with a new Phoenix club.  Some want to hang fire and see what happens to the entity that is Bury FC and whether it will be bought.  The former are split between those who insist they must play at Gigg, those who say it has to be within the borough and others who have suggested alternatives such as Ashton or City's academy ground.

All the time this infighting is going on the FA are asking for 1 voice and 1 club so they know which division to place them.  Just to muddy the waters further, some dubious looking 'businessman' has stepped forward offering to buy the club and appears to have offered a place on the board to the mad old bint who chained herself to a drain pipe outside the ground last summer.

It's a mess and I feel for the genuine supporters of Bury.  Those that still take delight in our defeats and have been arguing for a further points deduction can get to feck though.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

It's a mess and I feel for the genuine supporters of Bury.  Those that still take delight in our defeats and have been arguing for a further points deduction can get to feck though.

That'd be just about all of them. 

I've got massive sympathy for Bury, and I dont give a stuff what some of their less intelligent fans say about us, we've got idiots that follow us and they dont represent me or BWFC.  As well as hoping their fans get some light at the end of the tunnel, I miss looking out for Bury's results, as I would for any local team so its for selfish reasons too I hope they return.  But its a struggle to see how they can get themselves organised enough to get into a semi pro league for next season, given that they would have to take the place of another club.  Which league is going to let Bury replace one of their established clubs? The only scenario I can think of, other than if someone goes bust, is if a club gets promoted to a league they dont want to play in due to having to pay players more, or because of increased travelling and costs.  Not sure how often that happens but there are precedents.  But without one voice, they've no chance of getting organised in time.

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've got massive sympathy for Bury, and I dont give a stuff what some of their less intelligent fans say about us, we've got idiots that follow us and they dont represent me or BWFC.  As well as hoping their fans get some light at the end of the tunnel, I miss looking out for Bury's results, as I would for any local team so its for selfish reasons too I hope they return.  But its a struggle to see how they can get themselves organised enough to get into a semi pro league for next season, given that they would have to take the place of another club.  Which league is going to let Bury replace one of their established clubs? The only scenario I can think of, other than if someone goes bust, is if a club gets promoted to a league they dont want to play in due to having to pay players more, or because of increased travelling and costs.  Not sure how often that happens but there are precedents.  But without one voice, they've no chance of getting organised in time.

To be fair there's a space in EFL2 due to Bury's demise. Every league from there downwards would get an extra promotion slot until they find the right level to slot Bury into.

Regarding any sympathy for their plight, here's my tale:

Quite some time ago, I'd say around 2003 or 4 we were urged by Soccer AM (Lovejoy and Helen Chamberlain) to make a trip to Gigg Lane to put a bit of dosh into their coffers. I think this was during their bucket shaking period. Well, I went and took wife and two kids with me thus putting my hard earned money into their accounts along with the obligatory pie and drinks, I probably spent around £30 getting in and during the game. The Bury fans spent the entire game spouting how they "Only hate Bolton Wanderers!" well, I'm sorry, they can go fuck their club because that £30 was all the sympathy they'll ever get from me. Fuck 'em!

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Promoted clubs have to meet enhanced ground standards (subject to annual inspection). That is how Macclesfield failed to get into the EFL the first time they won the Conference. It happens more further down the ladder. But Bury's whole situation is beginning to resemble Northwich Victoria.

Good point about the grounds.  Quite a few clubs over the years have opted not to upgrade their grounds when they've earned promotion, too costly.  The irony is Bury could be in that situation themselves in future if they play at the likes of Ashton or Radcliffe and have the chance of a couple of promotions that mean they have to find another ground.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

To be fair there's a space in EFL2 due to Bury's demise. Every league from there downwards would get an extra promotion slot until they find the right level to slot Bury into.

Regarding any sympathy for their plight, here's my tale:

Quite some time ago, I'd say around 2003 or 4 we were urged by Soccer AM (Lovejoy and Helen Chamberlain) to make a trip to Gigg Lane to put a bit of dosh into their coffers. I think this was during their bucket shaking period. Well, I went and took wife and two kids with me thus putting my hard earned money into their accounts along with the obligatory pie and drinks, I probably spent around £30 getting in and during the game. The Bury fans spent the entire game spouting how they "Only hate Bolton Wanderers!" well, I'm sorry, they can go fuck their club because that £30 was all the sympathy they'll ever get from me. Fuck 'em!

I hadnt thought about that.  So its just a question of deciding which league doesnt get to have an extra promotion.  I used to watch Soccer AM religiously with Lovejoy and the BW fan weatherman, Sheephead with his light drizzle.  I get your attitude to Bury after your visit there but its a load of kids in the corner you're talking about, they probably havent even decided who they're going to support yet.  I used to sing We Only Hate Man Utd at Burnden till I was about 25 then realised I was just joining in a song for the sake of it.  Its the 40, 50 and 60 year olds who's life revolves around going to the match that I have sympathy for, I'd say the same for any club of reasonable standing who are big parts of their community.

I've been stood in away ends with Bury supporting mates in the soaking rain at dumps like Accrington and Tranmere, back in the heady days when we saw them as a minor irrelevance while we were tonking sides like Arsenal, Newcastle and Spurs with relative ease. Yes, the 'only hate Bolton Wanderers' songs came out, and yes, I thought the small time bastards could fuck themselves. 

But then, after us coming so close to following them down the pan, and seeing the complete lack of direction they have now (as pointed out, we'd almost certainly be in the same boat) - I can forgive them. Granted, I wasn't around in the dark Division 4 days, and wasn't part of the Parkhills scraps many of you will have been, but I see them more like a friendly, mildly irritating but ultimately alright little brother.

Perhaps it's only because we looked a similar fate in the face a few months back, but I really do feel sorry for them. 

6 hours ago, Traf said:

Fuck Bury.

Is the right answer. They are toast. Tough luck Nigel McGurk (the only Bury fan at school in 80's).  Most of em genuinely wouldnt give a fuck about us. Plus my last experience of walking through them outside the hotel after the 0-0 singing their Nat song, nah  i wont miss them.