Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

gonzo

• Site Supporter
On 14/01/2021 at 20:15, Johnnyrotten said:

It will make a lot of people happy if Bury play football at Gigg Lane again, especially at a half-reasonable level.

And as a football fan I'll be happy too, but I'm not happy for me, I'd be happy for them.

Nobody has to agree.

Isn’t the fact that most folk from Bury pledge their allegiances to local big clubs? Ten plus years ago it’d be predominantly United. These days it’s City. Tell me about the locals wanting football back at Gigg Lane.

They fall just above Wigan in my opinion of small-minded local haters.

On 16/01/2021 at 09:13, MickyD said:

Isn’t the fact that most folk from Bury pledge their allegiances to local big clubs? Ten plus years ago it’d be predominantly United. These days it’s City. Tell me about the locals wanting football back at Gigg Lane.

They fall just above Wigan in my opinion of small-minded local haters.

Despite living all my life in the town i've only really known 3 Bury 'fans'. One is a Citeh fan mainly (goes home and away) but used to go Gigg as a kid as he lived round the corner. One is more interested in Rangers and the sectarian bollox that goes with it. The other is the strange bloke who lived next door to my mum and dad in his 50's now and never moved out from his parents house.

The simple fact is that not enough people give a shit to keep a league club afloat.

1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

Despite living all my life in the town i've only really known 3 Bury 'fans'. One is a Citeh fan mainly (goes home and away) but used to go Gigg as a kid as he lived round the corner. One is more interested in Rangers and the sectarian bollox that goes with it. The other is the strange bloke who lived next door to my mum and dad in his 50's now and never moved out from his parents house.

The simple fact is that not enough people give a shit to keep a league club afloat.

Bang on.  I lived in Bury for a short while and worked in the town over 25 years. In that time I could count the number of Bury fans I met on one hand.  When they got chucked out of the EFL, my Facebook was full of former colleagues wailing at how unfair it was.  These were people who were born and bred in Bury yet chose to 'support' Utd from their arm chairs rather than get their arses down to Gigg Lane.

Despite their antipathy towards us, I had a lot of sympathy for them when they were expelled.  That soon disappeared when I read of them moaning to the national press that somehow, we'd been treated favourably compared to them.  Our take over went through.  Dale still hasnt sold Bury. The EFL made the correct decision. 

12 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Bang on.  I lived in Bury for a short while and worked in the town over 25 years. In that time I could count the number of Bury fans I met on one hand.  When they got chucked out of the EFL, my Facebook was full of former colleagues wailing at how unfair it was.  These were people who were born and bred in Bury yet chose to 'support' Utd from their arm chairs rather than get their arses down to Gigg Lane.

Despite their antipathy towards us, I had a lot of sympathy for them when they were expelled.  That soon disappeared when I read of them moaning to the national press that somehow, we'd been treated favourably compared to them.  Our take over went through.  Dale still hasnt sold Bury. The EFL made the correct decision. 

Unfair imo how many towns up & down the country have armchair United/Liverpool fans us included shitloads

Location wise they’re never going to get the numbers we struggle with the bigger clubs around so even harder for them and dale

28 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Unfair imo how many towns up & down the country have armchair United/Liverpool fans us included shitloads

Location wise they’re never going to get the numbers we struggle with the bigger clubs around so even harder for them and dale

Not a criticism of Bury per se.  More of those needy wankers that wake up one day and decide to become a Utd or Liverpool fan despite having no connection to them.

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

Not a criticism of Bury per se.  More of those needy wankers that wake up one day and decide to become a Utd or Liverpool fan despite having no connection to them.

There are 2 types of "big club" fans from other towns.  The Sky TV one's that never go near a ground, and those that may have been taken to a game at OT or Anfield and fell in love with it, like I did with Burnden when I had been to just as many games at many other local league grounds upto the age of 15/16.  If they love the matchday experience of supporting that team, whether its Chorley or Spurs (like my mate from Leyland), even if they can only get to 2 games a year, I can live with that, its genuine.  Its those that don't even know what its like to attend live games that are the loss to the game, all they are doing is feeding Sky and indirectly hastening the demise of the Bury's, Boltons and all clubs that rely on paying fans.

• Moderators

There are two types of fans, no matter who they support 

Them that go 

Them them don't 

You can't break the second group down further 

Them that used to go or go when they can 

And them that never do 

They are all ok until you get to the final subset, those who don't go but make on they are massive fans and sneer at any of the above types like they are somehow better, because the team they have randomly chosen are good

Which are 90s Utd & Liverpool SKY fans

Edited by ZicoKelly

On 17/01/2021 at 20:28, ZicoKelly said:

There are two types of fans, no matter who they support 

Them that go 

Them them don't 

You can't break the second group down further 

Them that used to go or go when they can 

And them that never do 

They are all ok until you get to the final subset, those who don't go but make on they are massive fans and sneer at any of the above types like they are somehow better, because the team they have randomly chosen are good

Which are 90s Utd & Liverpool SKY fans

Leeds ‘fans’ in places like Hull fall into this category 

They claim they don’t go because they are banned though 

29 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sounds like some ego issues there.

Very much so

there are some doubts that David Hilton is genuine in all this he’s getting very amateur on social media 

17 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Bury cannot have 2 clubs, and they've got Ratcliffe borough near you. 

They probably need to amalgamate the 2 clubs going forward if they want to survive, and how many will have pissed off to Citeh since they went pop (not out of existence), but near enough.

Bury isn’t big enough for one team.

57 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Bury cannot have 2 clubs, and they've got Ratcliffe borough near you. 

They probably need to amalgamate the 2 clubs going forward if they want to survive, and how many will have pissed off to Citeh since they went pop (not out of existence), but near enough.

The lads I know watching afc are only going to get their football fix few beers etc if Bury got new owners they’d soon sack it off

theres only a small group who think this afc will work going forward, the biggest winners in this are Radcliffe who get a few bills paid with the ground share 

Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

The lads I know watching afc are only going to get their football fix few beers etc if Bury got new owners they’d soon sack it off

theres only a small group who think this afc will work going forward, the biggest winners in this are Radcliffe who get a few bills paid with the ground share 

If 'big' Bury were resurrected then you'd have to expect all those following AFC Bury will return, and to be fair that's the right thing to do. They'd soon fade away when they realise sharing a ground in the North West Counties with less than 100 speccies isn't going to do much to massage their egos.

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If 'big' Bury were resurrected then you'd have to expect all those following AFC Bury will return, and to be fair that's the right thing to do. They'd soon fade away when they realise sharing a ground in the North West Counties with less than 100 speccies isn't going to do much to massage their egos.

Correct will fizzle out

i kind of know the lad in charge of afc and he’s well and truly in dreamland 

36 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Correct will fizzle out

i kind of know the lad in charge of afc and he’s well and truly in dreamland 

To be fair to him and their committee, it's pretty impressive what was achieved prior to the lockdown. Website, kit, manager, players,  shareholders etc.  All against a background of threats and vendettas. 

I'm sure long term the dream was to get back to Giggle Lane and merge with the Bury FC corpse.

2 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

To be fair to him and their committee, it's pretty impressive what was achieved prior to the lockdown. Website, kit, manager, players,  shareholders etc.  All against a background of threats and vendettas. 

I'm sure long term the dream was to get back to Giggle Lane and merge with the Bury FC corpse.

Yes can’t fault that side of things there’s a few on the committee who have good links own businesses etc in certain areas who have helped massively 

but all you have to do is look at local established non league clubs who are just about surviving on bigger gates than this lot will get IF Bury are reinstated

if Bury fail with a takeover then afc may do well in the short term as many will see as something to watch 

3 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

if Bury fail with a takeover then afc may do well in the short term as many will see as something to watch 

I agree with that. Once folk are allowed back into games they'll probably have an upsurge for a spell, made up of those who are missing Bury FC and those who have missed just being at a match.  A lad I know went along to one of their early games just to get his fix.

Long term I think they may struggle, particularly if they dont have it all their own way and fail to win regular promotions.  FC United were already on a huge downward swing and they're a much bigger club than Bury.