Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

gonzo

On 17/01/2021 at 20:28, ZicoKelly said:

They are all ok until you get to the final subset, those who don't go but make on they are massive fans and sneer at any of the above types like they are somehow better, because the team they have randomly chosen are good

Which are 90s Utd & Liverpool SKY fans

Exactly. You mention early 90s, well back then I was living in Southampton and some berk from work was in the boozer giving it large about Liverpool. "We" this and "we" that but when I asked him if he'd ever been to a game the fact that he hadn't didn't register with him at all. Didn't even hit home when I said he could go when Saints reserves played them (and probably see a team half full of internationals). No, it was irrelevant to him (which pissed me off more given I was making the trip all the way up to Bolton fairly often, including getting back at 1.30 in the morning after the Oldham Cup loss). So much so him and his mate waited outside the pub to take my dreadful slur on his committed fandom further. Though they ended up thinking better of it.

Bit like 90% of the tossers on Red & White Kop if you look at it. "We" this and "we" that all over again from people who haven't ventured further north than Enfield. "Fairest fans in the world" and all that tripe - they should have been a Bolton fan at that 3-0 game in 70s. Cunts. OK, if you're living in Malaysia then learn the words to YNWA and fill yer boots. But half of them live in fucking Wigan or Ormskirk.

I'll even give a free pass to those that admit it. I remember years ago chatting with a Hull mate (who had to do a 100s of miles trip to home games and even engineered a trip to China via work to see them on a pre-season tour)* and a guy who was a United "fan". At least he had the decency to admit that he was armchair compared to us. Fair enough. But the ones who can't admit that a complete and total lack of effort (even just once in a while) makes them shit  - they are the ones who get on my tits.

* On that pre-season tour Phil Brown was their manager. The lad I'm on about met up with a mate who hadn't done it through work so had paid his way to see them out there. In the hotel they spotted Browny and the then chairman so went for a chat. Chairman was apparently good as gold but Phil blanked them. Bit fucking off blanking someone who'd paid that kind of money to follow them out there. Says summat about him.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Exactly. You mention early 90s, well back then I was living in Southampton and some berk from work was in the boozer giving it large about Liverpool. "We" this and "we" that but when I asked him if he'd ever been to a game the fact that he hadn't didn't register with him at all. Didn't even hit home when I said he could go when Saints reserves played them (and probably see a team half full of internationals). No, it was irrelevant to him (which pissed me off more given I was making the trip all the way up to Bolton fairly often, including getting back at 1.30 in the morning after the Oldham Cup loss). So much so him and his mate waited outside the pub to take my dreadful slur on his committed fandom further. Though they ended up thinking better of it.

Bit like 90% of the tossers on Red & White Kop if you look at it. "We" this and "we" that all over again from people who haven't ventured further north than Enfield. "Fairest fans in the world" and all that tripe - they should have been a Bolton fan at that 3-0 game in 70s. Cunts. OK, if you're living in Malaysia then learn the words to YNWA and fill yer boots. But half of them live in fucking Wigan or Ormskirk.

I'll even give a free pass to those that admit it. I remember years ago chatting with a Hull mate (who had to do a 100s of miles trip to home games and even engineered a trip to China via work to see them on a pre-season tour)* and a guy who was a United "fan". At least he had the decency to admit that he was armchair compared to us. Fair enough. But the ones who can't admit that a complete and total lack of effort (even just once in a while) makes them shit  - they are the ones who get on my tits.

* On that pre-season tour Phil Brown was their manager. The lad I'm on about met up with a mate who hadn't done it through work so had paid his way to see them out there. In the hotel they spotted Browny and the then chairman so went for a chat. Chairman was apparently good as gold but Phil blanked them. Bit fucking off blanking someone who'd paid that kind of money to follow them out there. Says summat about him.

I started Uni in 95 

Till then the only Utd fan I really knew in Horwich went all over home and away, never really had exposure to them other than stuff I read in fanzines (Wayne Kerr) 

But our student halls were full of them from all over, London, Hull, York etc 

When games were on down the union they'd all come kitted out and basically try to out fan each other by how much they shouted players names at the tv 

One lad was from Malta and he would come dripping head to toe in gear and one time came draped in a Utd blanket 

"Who do you support?" 

'bolton" 

"Why? They are shit" 

"I'm from Bolton, why do you support utd" 

"They're the best" 

"Do you support Brazil at world cups?" 

"Eh?" 

Black Sunday in the union was awful, particularly when Blake scored, i gave it the big fuck you to them all, then sat down to see it was disallowed 

The only decent Utd fan amongst them was a lad from Stockport who had a season ticket 

Lived in Manc / Stockport since uni so most I come across tend to go, and they're ok 

City on the other hand...

56 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I started Uni in 95 

Till then the only Utd fan I really knew in Horwich went all over home and away, never really had exposure to them other than stuff I read in fanzines (Wayne Kerr) 

But our student halls were full of them from all over, London, Hull, York etc 

When games were on down the union they'd all come kitted out and basically try to out fan each other by how much they shouted players names at the tv 

One lad was from Malta and he would come dripping head to toe in gear and one time came draped in a Utd blanket 

"Who do you support?" 

'bolton" 

"Why? They are shit" 

"I'm from Bolton, why do you support utd" 

"They're the best" 

"Do you support Brazil at world cups?" 

"Eh?" 

Black Sunday in the union was awful, particularly when Blake scored, i gave it the big fuck you to them all, then sat down to see it was disallowed 

The only decent Utd fan amongst them was a lad from Stockport who had a season ticket 

Lived in Manc / Stockport since uni so most I come across tend to go, and they're ok 

City on the other hand...

We're the minority these days.

My family is from Belmont and so it was either Bastard Rovers or the Wanky Wankies, my bit of the family is Bolton so not being catholic, it was BWFC. Never had a choice and so I'm stuck with the under achieving buggers.

Bad day that Sunday, turned up at my Mum's and she had had a fall, she had waited for me to arrive, took her to the Royal Infirmary and  they put her wrist into plaster. I had wrote the game off, but being true Bolton she virtually pushed me out of the door with her good arm so I could support the lads. I left early at 6-0 but heard the cheer when Blake's went in and went back to mum empty handed.

In my opinion football should be all about your roots so good luck to Bury, you'll need it!

Worked all over the country for reasonable lengths of time .Most places where the fans supported the local teams were fine . Coventry /Hull/Sunderland/Portsmouth fans mainly sound apart from the odd dickhead.But always in these places were the stick on MU/Liv/Ars ‘fans’ Hull was the worst .I couldn’t believe that a City stuck out in the North Sea with no real rivals(Grimsby exception) could have so many dis-loyal twats.Sunderland was obviously the place where any stick on fans kept their heads down .Pompey had a few .Coventry at the time were Prem league so pretty loyal bunch.

Working abroad the English lads were usually loyal to their roots Luton/Stoke/Brum & most of the Essex lot were West Ham with a few glaring MU & LIV exceptions.

Bar staff almost 100% big clubs , given that they only ever watch footy in bars that’s not surprising although I did once know a barman that swore he supported the Whites (we were in the premier then) he was from Cork in Ireland .All his mates loved Roy Keane & MU.He told me he hated Keane & everything MU.so obviously I warmed to him immediately, think he just wanted to be different to all his mates .Told me he had been over to a couple of games , I cross examined him & he seemed kosha, bet he’s fell off the bandwagon now though !

On 22/01/2021 at 17:21, Duck Egg said:

I'm sure long term the dream was to get back to Giggle Lane and merge with the Bury FC corpse.

im pretty sure ive mentioned this before (and you might know already anyway, but) that didnt work in Northwich , think the vics where waiting on their owner being bombed out, but he hung on for ages, so they got a rebel club going as Plan B. Then the same day(literally) he got forced out over court and debts and what have you. 

think they play in the same division now. both in other nearby teams grounds in exile. 

Pretty weird how similar that is (northwich) to this (bury). 

Edited by e2e4
correction

17 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Chris? I feel sorry for him. Had death threats and all sorts. Some right bell ends about. 

Bloody hell. Really? I'd seen some comments on Facebook about threats being chucked about but hadn't realised it had escalated to that. 

I don't get it.  Bury FC have practically ceased to exist.  What's the harm in trying to provide an alternative? An alternative that will probably make way should the original club be saved/make a comeback. 

33 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Chris? I feel sorry for him. Had death threats and all sorts. Some right bell ends about. 

Yeah it’s all gone very hostile towards him 

Guest Nordkurve
On 22/01/2021 at 19:07, SatanGreavsie said:

We met a load of the Bolton squad on a pre season tour in the IOM early 90s. Phil Brown was sound as a pound then. Bought all the Bolton lads a drink as did Tony Philliskirk.